Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gamma goat only goes Thirty Miles an hour..

Thanks

My Goats crept up to forty now and the man restoring it feels the more I run it the faster it it get. I have taken it out five times and it is a ton of fun rumbling aound the town. Goats drive like nothing else so I took the time to learn how to stop the thing which in an emergency can be an art.

As always thanks for your guys help.

Joe

Thanks

So where are the pics of the parade? Just wondering.
    Jess

1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 wo/w whistler
    1966 F100/350 rat truck
    2008 F250 SD Power Stroke

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caliber1 View Post
    So where are the pics of the parade? Just wondering.
    Some things were not ment to be. I was going to flat bed it the week before but got tied up with some fuel filter issues. The day before the parade my friend was going to load it up but it rained like **** so all he could do at the end off the day was load his two vehicles for another parade. The parade morning I get up bright and early and drive like heck through five towns and get there (I may have two hrs driving a goat) but when I started it and took off it thudded like heck like a tie rod went of something. I pull over and called my friend(Who is really old and refuses to cary a cell phone and his wife said I missed him by two minutes and he had left. The problem was ofcourse that the tires I am told have to warm up and this was the first cold morning I actually ever tried it. If i was more exsperienced I just would have known better. Its all prepped for next year and will go into storage at the end of this month. I have a image of it attached to the cannon and the front with decalse if anyone would care to see them. The Gun did look cool behind it.083.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I replaced all the fuel filters but the Goat seams to hug about 40...Hmmmm

Any ideas and maybe its just a tired engine.....On a lighter note I rumbled around Norton Mass with it to day and at this point I feel coMfortable driving it anywheres....

Goat!!!

/Joe

Thanks

Hi Joe,
    While driving your gama goat, if you run it wide open until it hits the governor, how fast does it go in first, second, and third gears? (high range, two wheel drive, of course)
    Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I think First and second are dead on...I wind out third gear at Thirty MPH and slip into forth and hit 40 depending on hills...

Joe C

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gamma View Post
    I replaced all the fuel filters but the Goat seams to hug about 40...Hmmmm

Any ideas and maybe its just a tired engine.....On a lighter note I rumbled around Norton Mass with it to day and at this point I feel coMfortable driving it anywheres....

Goat!!!

/Joe
    I was a 'Goat driver back on the 70s at Ft. Campbell (M-102 howitzer battery) and I could peg the speedo at 60-65 mph level ground and saw 70 mph downhill.

Not able to help with ideas but wanted to tell the group a 'Goat could move out pretty quick...
    1986 M925 w/w

1985 M1008 CUCV
    1986 M1008 CUCV
    1984 M1009 CUCV
    1986 M1009 CUCV
    1986 M1031 CUCV

1990 M101A2 .75 ton trailer (Kasel)
    1992 M101A3 .75 ton trailer (Kasel)
    19** M105A3 1.5 ton trailer (Pribbs)
    1992 M149A2 "Water Buffalo" (Aero)
    2005 M1082 LMTV 2.5 ton trailer (Stewart & Stevenson)

1988 MEP 016B
    2001 MEP 016D
    1975 MEP 002A
    1983 MEP 002A
    1988 MEP 002A
    1989 MEP 003A (on M116 trailer)

Thanks

Joe C,
    If you can reach the listed maximum permissible road speeds in lower gears, then you know it isn't the governor holding you back. Sounds like you have already changed your fuel filters so you know that isn't the issue.

Does it start easy and have immediate throttle response when you rev it up? If not, it may be sucking in air as others have suggested.

Have you checked or changed your air filter? If you look down in the air filter base with the air filter canister removed, there is a screen wire over the inlet to the blower. Be sure to check this for any foreign objects that might be restricting air flow.

Have you checked your throttle linkage to ensure that the throttle lever on the governor is moved it's full range of motion when you actuate the foot throttle?

If you have done all of the above without any success, have you adjusted the valves and set the injectors? Do you know what size injectors your engine has in it? It should have N50.

Does it smoke much when starting off or when accelerating while running through the gears?

Out of curiosity, is your engine the one originally installed in the factory and has it been rebuilt? There is usually a data plate on the passenger side of the valve cover with rebuild info if it has been.

Good luck,
    Joe S
    Joe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikev View Post
    I was a 'Goat driver back on the 70s at Ft. Campbell (M-102 howitzer battery) and I could peg the speedo at 60-65 mph level ground and saw 70 mph downhill.

Not able to help with ideas but wanted to tell the group a 'Goat could move out pretty quick...
    No doubt that a goat is faster than people think they would be. I made this video on the way home from the Steel Soldiers Georgia Rally a few weeks ago...

This one too...

I hit a slight uphill grade on the last one and couldn't quite make it to 60...
    Joe

Thanks

Two things to check that most overlook.
    1. The carrier bearing on the drive shaft is most probably crap and could be locking up.
    2. Feel your brake drums after a run. Goats have notorious brake problems. Just a slight drag of one shoe can really slow you down.
    Mike

MVPA #171
    MVCC
    USN 4/64 - 7/72

1971 XM-816 "Cap'n Hook"
    1972 M-561 GamaGoat

"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

God, Bless America!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast