Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gamma goat only goes Thirty Miles an hour..

Thanks

Has the vaules been adjusted in a while? I had a 253 the injectors open with push rod from the cam,I may be wrong but I think the 353 is similar.Instead of having injection pump.I read that they have twice the power of a diesel engine twice their size.Mine had a mechical fuel pump that pumped 60 psi mine ran sluggish,had set for a few years.A diesel mech. told me that i would need special tool to rebuild it.I had nothing to lose so I took it apart,found the seals dried out,bought the seal repaced them it ran find.If it was mine I would start by checking the fuel pressure,then go from there.I was going to say check for blow by,but on the two stroke diesel the blower pushes air on the up stroke.Been a few year since I had mine.Maybe one of the others can chime in,that have work on them more.
    Dwight
    1971 AM General M35A2 W/Winch
    1986 Turtle Mountian M105A2 Trailer
    1983 Parkhurst M105A2 Trailer

Thanks

Hi,

the best you can do to your DD engine ist to use SHELL Rotella DD +40!

http://www.enerquip.com.au/brochures...20dd+%2040.pdf

Itīs specially designed for DD or Cummings engines and it worked very well in my goat when we went through very heavy terrain and do high speed on the highway!
    Search the web for a source...
    Greetings from Northern Germany,

Ulf

Gama Goat Europe... my other MVs and friends...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to goat whisperer For This Useful Post:

Joe Gamma (11-26-2011)

Thanks

Another thing you may be able to try is 'shorting' the injectors. Pull the head pan off and start the engine. You'll see that each injector has its own rocker arm. Hold down on one rocker arm at a time and see if the engine limps or not. If the engine doesn't really respond then you may have a poor injector that needs to be pulled and cleaned. I've SEEN this done on 8v's but have not done it. I HAVE pulled injectors and rebuilt them. If you do them one at a time and put it all back in then move to the next you can get away with not resetting the rack...if you pay attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spicergear For This Useful Post:

Joe Gamma (11-26-2011)

Thanks

The piece at the lower center of the pic in the middle of my palm is what gets hooked into the linkage in the head and part of the 'Rack.' The small piece extending out of the other side of the injector, if you look closely, you can just see like a gear too aiming up on it. That is the same part and has teeth on it like a rack and pinion steering set up. There is a small gear inside the injector housing that gets turned when the rack is pulled on via linkage to accelerator pedal and as the small gear turns it allows more or less fuel into the plunger section of the injector (which is under like 60psi line pressure) then the rocker arm compresses the injector/plunger and you get an atomized spray out of the tip of the injector. I know on my near 400hp 8V71 injectors, the spray was a 6 hole pattern and the holes in the injector tip were barely visible!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spicergear For This Useful Post:

Joe Gamma (11-26-2011)

Thanks

Well I just gave it one heck of a test driving it from Norton to Middleboro along a major highway. I just rumbled down the breakdown lane for thirty miles and now my goat is safely nesstled at my house.

I fixed the linkage problem because I sprayed everything with a health dose of WD 40 and it simply did not stick when it warmed up like before.

Engine simply still taped ou between 35 to 40 depending wether you were going up a hill. Starting to lean towards throttle and then govenor adjustment. I still feel its top end speed though is the prob...Next step is to have a diesel guy look at it ...(detroit guy)

I'll have him check out the injectors..

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Gamma; 11-26-2011 at 09:31.

Thanks

Default goat is slow to get down the road

actually the transfer case was produced in Great Britian, and was used in Bedford Army trucks as well, sounds like fuel delivery, ck filters and they are prone to suckin air any where between the tank and the rack, spray a little wd 40 or ether ( caution flammable) at joints look for increase or stabil rpm. fuel supply line likes to crack and suck air at the bottom of the loop in the secondary to primary line.

Thanks

just a thought, do you here the supercharger kick in, you should hear a woooo sound as it kicks in , my goat maxes out at 57 mph, had it up to 61 goin down hill behind a logging truck, runs great, handles like a dream

Thanks

The best solution for the oil filter is to goggle Detroit diesel 353 spin on oil filter kit , or google the P/N i bought the spin on filter kit brand new for $85.00 o ebay, used the Detroit P/N to find it, detroit still sells it but it over $300.00. I have used Rotella for years , Air Force had a few and used Rotella purchased locally with no adverse effects, make sure you carry a gallon, the detroit will not use any oil for a few weeks and then suddenly be down a gallon, they all leak a little on the pan gasket. Great truck and easy as pie to work on! dead simple compared to Air craft have a good goatin day!

Thanks

Well I think I solved the problem......This weekend at a convention a couple of my buddies from the army asked me how I could tolerate the goat with it being so loud. My Goat is kinda laud but tolerable. Knowings its goverend by RPMs I threw it out to a woman who used to work on 353's in the wing generator shop who said it is probably the governor, and the previous owners probably backed it out becausef it was used off road mostly so no one would kill them selves. Told me how to adjust it..

Now it races like a demon...gotta figure out how to adjust it properly but it seems like the ticket...

Whew!!

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Gamma; 03-13-2012 at 20:04.

Thanks

Default Governor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gamma View Post
    Well I think I solved the problem......This weekend at a convention a couple of my buddies from the army asked me how I could tolerate the goat with it being so loud. My Goat is kinda laud but tolerable. Knowings its goverend by RPMs I threw it out to a woman who used to work on 353's in the wing generator shop who said it is probably the governor, and the previous owners probably backed it out becausef it was used off road mostly so no one would kill them selves. Told me how to adjust it..

Now it races like a demon...gotta figure out how to adjust it properly but it seems like the ticket...

Whew!!

Joe
    What is the governor adjustment procedure ?
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem!"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast