• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ELMO uncorked

davesgmc

Here is a video clip of ELMO doing a drive by. I am not going to go into how fast the truck is actually going, but the reason to post the video is so you can hear the sweet, sweet melody of the 2 stroke detroit diesel as it scrames by. It can be heard from about 3/4 mile away!
elmo drive by - YouTube

all elements of this video were done legally and no laws were broken in the making of this video :D none that you can prove any how.

davesgmc

it si only a 6-71 na detroit in there now. I would love to turbo it someday, or maybe replaced it with a v8 or larger. Maybe a 16v92 detroit? that would be a bit overkill. The 6-71 will stay in there for now, anotyher engine would mean i would ahve to build another truck, and no $ do that right now. It needs a bit of a tune up, but seems to run pretty good once you get it out and stan on it for a b it, as all detroits do.

91W350

We had a 6-71 in a 35 ton Link Belt Crane chassis. It would run on the governor all day long, uphill.... Really could have used a taller gear ratio. Power was not a problem at all.

davesgmc

most detroits are set to run at their governed speeds all da long. Elmo is set at 2850 and runs about 2900 max. runs great at the rpm. I could change out the injectors, and the governor and run it at 3500 rpm and it would really scream and acelerate very well, but it still has to live a long life and wouldnt that way for sure. My enghine was originally built by the factory as a boat enigne, it served as a water pump power plant and then possibly a generator at one time before it ended up in the ELMO truck. I would like to get ahold of a turbo kit for it and turbo the engine to give it a bit more umpf,. but i dont relaly need it. I had thought about propane injection, but all the "professional" detorit guys say all it takes is one likke spark in that air box and it will blow the side co vers right off while going down the road, and possibly the supercharger along wiht it..not a chance i want to take.

ELMO is a pretty nice truck to drive, especially now that it got spring ride seats in it instead of the box seats. A hard top, muffler and a bit of sound proofing here and there and i will be a great truck to drive..as long as the alternator dont go out, and the truck dies on a hill, going around a corner, uphill, pulling 15k worth of trailer. I had like one chance to roll it backwards, down a hill, and around a corner to bump start it, and i'll be damed, i got it started! I was pretty propud of myself.
ELMO can go anywhere a 22.5 can,,mostly and then some. there were a few rutty places at d-day i didnt want to chance, but other than that off road it preforms quite well. besides IF it does ever get stuck,,,,,I aint got nuttin to pull it out with!

caliber1

I have an 8V in my coach, talked to an old timer about turboing it. He said I would get more life and better mileage with out it. He's been running busses longer than I've been alive, so I'll take his word for it. 2cents

davesgmc

mine has a feature found on most old detroit motors. it coats the under side of the chassis with a rust preventative. and keeps the weeds from growing under the front of thruck when parked in grass. the down side is that has to be refilled with oil quite often.

elkwelds

how hard do you think it would be to put a 8v53 or 8v71 in there. was the 6v71 a tight fit? also what trans did you go with. i am itching to put a detriot in a m813 any help would be very much appreciated thanks

elkwelds

great thanks davesgmc i hope to get my dirty little hands on a 8v53t with a jake but they are very hard to find. might get a new one from mtu but that will be lots of cash i will post pictures when the project gets of the ground

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks