• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaskan Camper M101a2 Trailer Project Build

2INSANE

I'm tired of tents, setting up camp, cold hard ground, cold/hot temps, being exposed to snow and rain, etc... I'm getting old!! Lol! So I've searched and researched and figured out what I want! I want a camper/trailer that can handle almost any terrain, extreme weather conditions, heavy duty and comfortable. Having all my gear in one area with easy access. So here's what I've got on my brain:) Here's my rare yet effective most awesome and extreme off-road worthy camper/trailer build.

To start we need a trailer! I thought a M101a2 would work perfect. Long springs for a smooth ride, rear jack, front crank jack, hand lever cable brakes, 8 lug axles/rims and easy to find normal automobile tires:)
I picked this up from a guy. It's in ok shape. Not too shabby... Got some dings and dents and surface rust. Perfect! Good price too!
53928d45.jpg

5ad9dafd.jpg

4ff4204c.jpg

eaa53b96.jpg

9b7448aa.jpg

2INSANE

I think some bigger tires is needed. Found me a cheap set of alum 16.5x10 rims and 35/12.5/r16.5 BFG A/T tires. I got them mounted, balanced and cleaned up. Then slapped them on the trailer.
34639ad3.jpg

4d7063d3.jpg

e3684ac3.jpg

Attachments

2INSANE

Ok! Looking good! Now for the camper:) 1970 Alaskan vintage rare old school pop up camper. She is loaded with a fridge/freezer that runs off of either, 110v or propane or 12v, 3 burner propane stove, 30 gal water tank, sink, radiant heater (propane), table that converts into bed, 2 1/2 gal propane tank, hydroloc jack to lift up the top, 3 alum jacks for mount and dismount, port-o-potty and a lot of storage:) Awe:) only 30 seconds to set up camp with this bad momma!!
Picked it up from a local guy for a good deal.
It's 8 foot long, 4' wide at bottom base and 6' wide at top base.
27be9907.jpg

139743e7.jpg

28690424.jpg

Last edited:

2INSANE

So I test fitted to see if it would fit... Awe man! It doesn't!!!!! The wheel wells are in the bloody way! Ok ok no problem. I called up my bro and asked if he had a sawzall. Yep!
c1e6058f.jpg
The camper had a lower lip on the front preventing it from sliding it all the way to the front of the trailer making it so the tailgate wouldn't shut. So I cut it off 2".
043f38f3.jpg
So I measured 8" from the inside wall to 8" out of each wheel well. Marked and cut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33BNfzmjGcw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
818ac2b6.jpg

9fff5812.jpg

cb2a5f13.jpg
Where the propane tank is stored in the rear of the camper on pass side there's an additional 5" extension that was also preventing the camper from sliding all the way in. Marked and cut.
bc8936a8.jpg

9b0dc639.jpg

Last edited:

2INSANE

After mounting, there's a 1 1/2" gap between rails of trailer and camper. Will get filled in with wood.
eb140219.jpg

7d609614.jpg
See how the extension of the camper was hitting the wheel well? Not any more! Muahahaha:)
2118e783.jpg
And now for the sexy part!
d8dec6b8.jpg

a8864f59.jpg

fe05f30e.jpg

b8ae9092.jpg
I took her on the interstate. She sailed smoothly over bumps, turns and towed very well at 70mph.

Please keep in mind that this project is not finished yet. I ran out of time and had to go back to work.

Things that need to get done.
1. Electrical connections from Truck/Blazer to Camper.
2. Get sheet metal welded on the wheel wells.
3. Sand blast trailer, prime and paint.
4. Fill the 1 1/2" gap between the trailer rails and camper with wood.
5. Mount 5 Gallon Water tanks to sides.
6. Mount a fire extinguisher to side (Safty First) ;)
7. Cut and make side doors for easy access to the inside front space of camper/trailer.
8. Add 2 feet of square tubing to the tow neck.
9. Add an alum tool box to the front
10. Make a protective metal sheet cover for front window to protect from rocks being kicked up and thrown while being towed.
11. Roof rack for the coolers, luggage, etc.
12. Create some hidden mounts to marry the camper with the trailer.
13. Solar panels to keep the battery charged while disconnected from truck/Blazer.

That's it for now. I'll post more progress when I make it happen. Special thanks to my brother Benj for all the help!

Hope yal enjoy so far. I'm loving it!

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
i think its a good idea. leave your camper where ever you want and drive your truck to places you can't reach with a trailer behind. no need to load / unload the camper.

2INSANE

looks good! i like the vintage design.
Thanks! I'll get ya some more pics of the inside and with it popped up when I'm off work:)

Ummmmm.....instead of cutting up your trailer why didn't you keep the camper in the truck?
Yea you prob think I'm stupid or crazy for cutting up a nice 3/4 ton trailer. But look at my truck... It's on it's last thread... The truck is a good truck but it's too long for what I want for the off-road. Plus it's rusted all over the body. Bad cancer. Bad body damage from other trails. My goal is to finish my blazer build and tow the camper behind the blazer. 59apache is right too! Easier to disconnect a trailer then slide off a camper on uneven ground. After pricing, it was a lot cheaper to go this route then have a custom off-road trailer built to fit the camper. Time effective too. And since my blazer is in the shop and the truck is my current trans, its killing me on fuel leaving the camper in the back while daily driving. With the trailer/camper lower profile it's less likely I'll roll over. It's been thought out for a very long time. The truck is going bye bye. What's also great is that after I get rid of the truck, I will still have a bed (The trailer) to haul stuff when needed.

i think its a good idea. leave your camper where ever you want and drive your truck to places you can't reach with a trailer behind. no need to load / unload the camper.
So true! :beer:

Last edited:

unclemikey

Ya did good! That is going to work out super for you. You just can't get a much better camper than an Alskan for that type of project. The two match up very well. I love to see these projects that marry two things together that most don't think off, and yet works so very well. Keep us posted. Like I said before......Ya did good [thumbzup]

2INSANE

Ya did good! That is going to work out super for you. You just can't get a much better camper than an Alskan for that type of project. The two match up very well. I love to see these projects that marry two things together that most don't think off, and yet works so very well. Keep us posted. Like I said before......Ya did good [thumbzup]
Thanks! Wow thats a cool rig ya got there! Yea not very many people have done this. Usually peeps put it on a m105 trailer so they don't have to cut but they are sooooo heavy for the off-road. Weight is a big thing when it comes to off-road.I'm sure you know:beer:

:ditto:Fantastic job and well-documented. That kind of project is on my long-term list. Let's see the inside!
Yea it for sure the icing on the cake for my blazer build:) when do you plan on doing your project? Hope to see your build! I still have a lot to do with both mine! Lol! It never ends. I'll add some inside pics when I can. Keep your eyes peeled:razz: nice truck btw!

Last edited:

bob95065

Thanks! I'll get ya some more pics of the inside and with it popped up when I'm off work:)

Yea you prob think I'm stupid or crazy for cutting up a nice 3/4 ton trailer. But look at my truck... It's on it's last thread... The truck is a good truck but it's too long for what I want for the off-road. Plus it's rusted all over the body. Bad cancer. Bad body damage from other trails. My goal is to finish my blazer build and tow the camper behind the blazer. 59apache is right too! Easier to disconnect a trailer then slide off a camper on uneven ground. After pricing, it was a lot cheaper to go this route then have a custom off-road trailer built to fit the camper. Time effective too. And since my blazer is in the shop and the truck is my current trans, its killing me on fuel leaving the camper in the back while daily driving. With the trailer/camper lower profile it's less likely I'll roll over. It's been thought out for a very long time. The truck is going bye bye. What's also great is that after I get rid of the truck, I will still have a bed (The trailer) to haul stuff when needed.

So true! :beer:
Makes sense. Great build thread!

2INSANE

Well done deffently a great way to turn a m101a2 in to a use-able camper. Well done.
Thanks! I can't wait to take her out this winter!

Great job!
The Alaskan camper looks at home in the 101.
The hitch looks like a nice change too!

This is my future plan for my trailer.
I wanted a roof top tent but they are expensive.
I can build this set up for less.

My trailer build blog:
Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler
Thank ya! I like your idea on that build u plan on doing. That's nice! Looks like home on wheels.

Nice work
Thanks!

these pics make me want to go camping again thanks for those super great buildup pics:beer:
Much thanks! With this momma, I can go camping year round in any weather condition on almost any terrain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks