• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get into Military Jeeps

jeeplvr247

I just sold my CUCV which has left me without an MV and I am itching for my next fix. I am not stranger to old CJs and what to look for when buying one but I am lost on the military ones. It seems like most of the military jeeps are either big projects or fully restored and big money. I am looking for something in between in the 2-4k range. Are they out there? If so where should I be looking and what should I look for if I am looking at one? I really want an M38a1 but they seem to be even harder to find. Craigslist is letting me down on the military jeeps and there is nothing up on these classifieds either. Thanks for your help.

poppop

They are out there just take your time and look. You can find M151 Mutts from 2 to 4 thousand in orginal condition. With them look them over real good for rust damage. I have one i paid $400.00 for and got it running for about $300.00 more. It took a lot of welding underneath to rebuild the rust damage but I have been driving it for 10 years now.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
If you get a m38a1 check thw frame by the drivers side front spring rear hanger they rust out there!

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dude.

We LOVED our M38A1. It was so awesome.

I would have driven it every day as a daily driver IF I could have afforded the $1K for the overdrive kit. With the 5.38 gears, you are pretty limited in terms of cruising speed.

But, they get great mileage, they are super easy to get in and out of, easy to park, cheap to ensure, parts are cheap (and a lot of stuff is the same as CJ5 so NAPA can take care of it) and they are cheap to insure.

I would highly recommend the M38A1.

There are 2 sites that have a lot of Jeep traffic- www.g503.com and Willy's Military Jeeps

I hate to recommend sites other than SS, but those 2 sites just have soooo much Jeep info.

Maybe you can get some of the Jeep guys to come over here...........:twisted:

Last edited:

Fishtail

I have always liked the M38A1, and they were still available back 15 years ago or so. That was my first military Jeep, and first restoration. I completely disassembled it, every part sandblasted and primed/painted. 5 new NDT's., etc.

I'd part with it if you are interested. Needs a little TLC to have a nice jeep. Located in Central Wisconsin. Pm me if interested.

Mods: delete this if illegal.

Scott

wilfreeman

Definately buy something that is fairly complete - I've been buying parts for my 'A1 for the past 12 yrs - they are still out there, but getting more and more expensive (as with most HMVs). Same with the wiring - I paid $375 for a new harness 10 yrs ago with the turn signal harness built in - just the harness now will run you around $500 (without the turn signals).

L1A1

How to get into Military Jeeps? Well, I like to enter through the driver's side cut out...:lol: Sorry I couldn't resist...

I noticed a rather nice (uncut) M151A2 for sale in the classifieds. That's a good price for a running uncut mutt. Here's the link; http://www.steelsoldiers.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=9957

Did you have a particular type of "Army jeep" in mind? I've owned/restored three different G838s (one M151A1 and two M151A2s) so I'm partial to them. A good site for all things g838 (M151) is www.g838.org Good group of guys over there. In fact, several guys from over there are members on here.

Matt

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watch GSA, several M38A1's and M37's just sold here in WY. They were rust free and complete. Last I looked they were all under 2K.

armytruck63

Another great jeep if you can find one is the M170 ambulance. Same front as an M38A1 only with a longer wheelbase and a nice ambulance ride. They have much more room for camping gear or kids.

They are a little less capable off road and you don't want to damage the unobtainium gas tank.

Last edited:

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Thanks for the pictures, that is some pretty serious rust. I that fixable or scrap at that point?
I got a 6 ft piece of good frame and a friend that builds rock buggies cut it out and welded the new piece in. . Had the jeep at the rally this year and it held fine!

Attachments

jeeplvr247

Another great jeep if you can find one is the M170 ambulance.
I have looked at some but they seem to be even more expensive. I am on a pretty limited budget. I see you can get CJ5s with military headlights and paint pretty cheap but I would like a real military one if possible. Too bad they never put the buick V6 in the military versions though, that was a great engine.

jeeplvr247

Zout - How many of the parts on the a1 can be swapped with the CJ5, I have a good source of jeep parts at very good prices but he has mostly civilian stuff. I had a CUCV so i was spoiled by having all the parts at the local o'reilys no questions asked.

mikes47jeep

How to get into Military Jeeps ?? buy one:mrgreen:

another site to find jeeps, g503.com they have classifieds for military jeeps, and old cj's

As far as parts I have found most items at NAPA, it just helps to have a parts number cross reference sheet

Mike

Last edited:

Bravo619

I’m wanting a good condition army Jeep, like the one they had on Mash

I’m wanting a good condition army Jeep you know the one that they ran around in on mash that’s in good condition that won’t break the bank.

I would settle for the M38 or the M38A1 they are both okay and I’d like to get a driver. But don’t really know what I’d be into it for?

Last edited by a moderator:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MB/GPW (which was correct for Korea, but not Vietnam), M38, or M38A1. Big difference in the three. Use Google to figure out which one you want. I just reviewed google images to make sure that all three were present in filming, and they were. So, you need to decide. Personal size (yours) is also a factor. If you're a big dude, recommend M38A1.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks