• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th Semi-Annual Texas Military Vehicle Rally

Barrman

They show up at the Temple Air show every May and do Vietnam era stuff. At least every year since 2008 that I know of. I was with the same guys in the back of a M113 at the Wings over Houston show in 2009 when Ken let me run the .50 Cal for the event. That was another Vietnam era thing. M16A1's all around.

I posted the link so the guy could contact them about getting involved doing re-enactments. I really have never researched them beyond that.

Awesome Possum

Far be it for me to interfere in something I've been banned from, but I think I must. The 4th rally didn't go down because there was too much to do. Doesn't trying to invite (to quote G Company's site) a group of "professional living historians" sound like a recipe for "too much to do?" Not to mention that it would be to invite them to someone else's (Brent Mullins) soiree'? Also you can figure that many from G Company could actually be participating in the Brent Mullins re-enactment.

I spoke with Badga tonight and he'd like to try to set up something (a bit less ambitious), maybe he could get the other young 'uns involved. If you don't keep the whole rally simple, it will crumble again. The goal should be to have a good time, not to try to one-up others.

Barrman

G company hasn't been invited to the Rally unless I am reading things wrong. The link to them was posted to give somebody information about a re-enactment group in the area.

badga the badger

Hey, you two better not start another squable.

Lincoln, I am offering to take over the vietnam display. I spent 6 years researching vietnam guntrucks and their operating areas so I have a pretty good idea for what it takes.

And as for AP, it would be great to have him unbanned because he controls the time and money I can put into it. Besides, the banning of people will lead to potentinaly bigger problems.

Last edited:

two.fiveM35

Bump. Right now I am a maybe, because I have a rear axle seal that is leaking and washed out a big blob of bearing grease. My mechanic has replaced the seal twice and it starts leaking after a long drive. Gear oil level is good and breather vent seems to be ok. I'm sure he knows what he is doing, he worked on them in the army and has worked on Jim Pruitt's deuce for years. Anybody know of a mechanic in Houston area or surrounding area that has working on them? Maybe a second set of eyes would be a good idea. Any idea guys?

Last edited:

nofearnohope

Bump. Right now I am a maybe, because I have a rear axle seal that is leaking and washed out a big blob of bearing grease. My mechanic has replaced the seal twice and it starts leaking after a long drive. Gear oil level is good and breather vent seems to be ok. I'm sure he knows what he is doing, he worked on them in the army and has worked on Jim Pruitt's deuce for years. Anybody know of a mechanic in Houston area or surrounding area that has working on them? Maybe a second set of eyes would be a good idea. Any idea guys?
Good luck with getting the truck fixed. I wish I knew of someone down there to help out.

OL AG '89

Alright all you procRastinators!!!!
We said we would do the reserve and get a good number prior to the event and it looks like some of us have forgotten the issues of the last NON-event!!!
I realize the show will go on without us, but let's make this make plan a model for the next rally without the Mullins show!
I'm still "donating" the $50 gift card, but would like to see a bunch more of you O.D.ers in the running.
I'll make easier on all of those who want to be in the mix.
Lincoln, at the end of this month 31 Jan. send me a list of everyone signed up AND PAID.
I will make tags for those people and hand them out at the rally. I will then have a disinterested party at the meet, draw a name from a steel pot.

Last edited:

Awesome Possum

Alright all you proceastinators!!!!
We said we would do the reserve and get a good number prior to the event and it looks like some of us have forgotten the issues of the last NON-event!!!
I think it's a matter of too many people remembering the issues of the last NON-event!!! OL AG, I think it's great that you have stepped up with your resources and ingenuity to try to make this happen for everyone else. This last non-event was, for all intents and purposes, a Steel Soldiers event, not a Lincoln event, yet it turns out that when I complained about it my family was disinvited. By one person. Unilaterally. People know what's fair and what isn't.

People remember what did, and didn't, happen. No one else but you, OL AG, even spoke up to complain (publically) about what transpired. Why did no one back me up on this?

People DO remember the way things were mishandled, bungled, and done just plain wrong last time. How is a $20 deposit going to make it happen this time? BVORR, we were told, costs hundreds of dollars (it was going to be $70 a family last time). How's that gonna' work at 20 bucks a pop? Who among you wouldn't take a $20 loss in case something else important came up?

I think everyone remembers what happened last time, but for those who're new, here's where the "Rally That Never Was" ended:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/south-western-us-chapter/67262-4th-semi-annual-texas-mv-rally-16.html
The entire record is there by going to the beginning.

Others, including my son Badga, have suggested that we move past this. I have tried with several attempts to volunteer, yet no one will even respond to my posts. My best guess is that if any of you do, Lincoln will run home with his ball and the game will be over.

Last edited:

OL AG '89

O.K.!!!!!!
I wasN'T intending to start a SH*T storm or open old WOUNDS.
If we only have 3 signed up and paid, the cost per person at BVORR is $200 ??????
If i'm spending $200 on a weekend, there better be a LOT going on, at BVORR, because if I'm just going for the wheeling I can do that for much less around the house or on my own acreage!!!!

So, Jeff, let the past be, let's move on with the upcoming event. Y'all need to be adults and make up...... or move on!!!
If there is NO interest in the BVORR outing fine, I may come up for the Mullins show, but i'm not looking to buy anything at the moment...... so probably not.

OUT!!!

Last edited:

OL AG '89

badga...... now that's funny, I dont care who you are, but seriously.....
The rally IS EVERYONE'S AND ANYONE'S who wishes to participate......
So we're all going to be MATURE and act like grownups, no matter our ages, yep you old guys too!!!!!
IF we don't have enough people to rent the park exclusively, then we need to figure how to make the weekend affordale for all who WANT to attend......
I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the 2 rallies I attended and WANT that to continue, but if we don't have enough people to gather at BVORR, then we NEED to be adults and get this thing back on track!!!

Awesome Possum

badga...... now that's funny, I dont care who you are, but seriously.....
The rally IS EVERYONE'S AND ANYONE'S who wishes to participate......
So we're all going to be MATURE and act like grownups, no matter our ages, yep you old guys too!!!!!
IF we don't have enough people to rent the park exclusively, then we need to figure how to make the weekend affordale for all who WANT to attend......
I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the 2 rallies I attended and WANT that to continue, but if we don't have enough people to gather at BVORR, then we NEED to be adults and get this thing back on track!!!
Ol Ag, Badga is my 16 y.o. son, and a pretty wise kid at that. And I happen to agree with EVERYTHING you wrote above. I'm more than willing to put everything behind me in order to have this rally come off, and I'm willing to help, as is Badga. A friend of mine runs with some Jeep guys who we might be able to work with us on getting the price down. I'll bring out a whole bunch of seasoned oak firewood for every ones use (some splitting required), plus anything else I can help with.

There are too many apologies owed in too many directions to sort this out that way. Let's let the past be the past and move along, provided we can go with the part of your quote that's been highlighted in red. NO ONE GETS LEFT OUT WHO WANTS TO COME, AND NO ONE IS SHUNNED WHO GOES. We pay the necessary amount up front and WE SHOW UP. No individual should have to pay for anyone else. Let's keep it simple and afordable, and work together to make it happen! My vote is for Lincoln and OL AG to spearhead this. Whaddya' say?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks