• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compatible transmissions for the M35a3 with the cat 3116

sierra117

I have been doing a little searching and have had much luck finding transmissions that are compatible for the cat 3116. I was hoping to swap it for something that will keep the rpms down and maybe get 55 to 65 mph out of it as well. Ant info on this subject would be appriciated

Sephirothq

I was directed to take a look at a NV4500. There is a very good thread about putting a 5.9 cummins in a a2. The transmission used is a NV4500.

FL_Frank

the deuce isn't made to go 65.
Rarely have the nerve to drive mine over 45, even with 395s - it sounds like something is going to break/explode with the drive-train noise level at that speed.

Edit - oops - i see A3 now - likely runs a bit quieter than an A2 =)

mudguppy

I was directed to take a look at a NV4500. There is a very good thread about putting a 5.9 cummins in a a2. The transmission used is a NV4500.
i'm obviously a proponent of the NV4500 for it's unmatched size-to-strength ratio. that said, off the top of my head i don't know if you can get an SAE bell housing for the '4500 to mate it to the Cat...

sierra117

the deuce isn't made to go 65.

you can get almost 55 out of the stock A3 by mounting 395's in place of the 14.5x20's

anything else is running the tach against or over the 2700RPM readline.
That is why I am looking to swap the transmission for something that will at least keep the rpms at a reasonable level. And maybe I can get to go able little faster to.

Last edited:

PROSTOCKTOM

New Venture is out of business, so I wouln't be looking at one of them.

Also you need something heavier duty than a NV4500 in your deuce.

Why not put a different Allison in there?

They make other versions that have overdrive.

Tom

Last edited:

DAS

Glen is on the money.....you need a pete..600 hp....18 speed....3.55 or 3.o8 rears....cruse at 85-92 mph.....put the duece bed on it....DAS

flyxpl

I have a 1990 GMC Topkick Dump / plow truck . It has a Cat 3316 with a 5 speed Automatic tranny in it . when it hits 5th gear the rpm's drop drastically . I don't think most of us want to go 70mph, but aroung the 55 mph range at a conservative rpm . I will see if I can find out the model of tranny . I think it is an Allison .

Attachments

goodguyzy

yes 55-60 would be great, 45mph is not fun. Ive been kicking around the idea of putting the 3053 back in since I have a spare and all the parts.

Trango

I have been doing a little searching and have had much luck finding transmissions that are compatible for the cat 3116. I was hoping to swap it for something that will keep the rpms down and maybe get 55 to 65 mph out of it as well. Ant info on this subject would be appriciated
This whole thread could potentially hinge on the question of whether you want to keep the tranny as an Automatic, or if you want to add a pedal and go to a Manual option. Any preference?

Trango

Found this for you

http://www.allisontransmission.com/documents/product/specs_HS.pdf

Edit: I was under the mistaken thought that the 1545P tranny in the A3 is a 1000 series tranny. It's actually part of the AT series of Allisons, and the flavors in the A3 are the AT545 as well as the AT1545.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/publications/servicesupport_listings.jsp?ModelGrouping=at

details about size of AT and MT trannies:

http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/233/12727.html?1141351857

How much room do you have in that chassis for a larger tranny?

Last edited:

quickfarms

Your truck has a four speed allison with a 1:1 final drive and 6.71 gears in the axles

what ever trans you put in, either manual or auto, it needs to have and overdrive

The other issue you have is that I do not think the trans in the a3 has a lock up torque converter.

if your truck will now do 45 and you install a trans with a .75 od you will be doing about 60 at the same rpm

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i think i remember the allisons with od are 6 speeds. also electronic, so ecu and shifter must be programed. you would not have to use the 6th speed as it may be too high, but length as i recall will be a big problem. no manual trans i know of (that will fit) has enough od so the only option is the 3053 and a gear kit. i spent many years researching this before i spent the 10s of thousands having gears made. it is still the single most practical thing to do and in the long run the lowest cost.

and any duece in good condition is perfectly safe at 65.

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks