• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compatible transmissions for the M35a3 with the cat 3116

goodguyzy

Ok Ive read this thread over a few times. I'm a simple construction worker, so please keep this in mine. The A2 spicer has a 5th gear ration of 1:1. The A3 4th gear has a ratio of 1:1. The A3 has bigger tires, so why doesn't it go faster? Is it the axles that are geared differently?

goodguyzy

Ok I dont know where I got the 3053 being 1:1. So my final conclusion (that was summed up in about post number 2) is that getting the 3053 back in with the same tires or bigger would give you a better top end without the OD kit, or would you still need toms OD kit?

jaymcb

you wouldn't need the OD kit, because the 5th gear in the spicer already HAS an OD gear.

If you REALLY wanted a taller OD gear, then you could do both, but MY Cat3116 wouldn't have the balls to push a truck along with gearing that tall. It barely climbs the hill leading up to my house with the Allison auto in second gear

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the 3116 can be turned up to more power than the multifuel. with a stock 3053 you will have some more mph, but not much. with gear kit you will have 67 mph at 2500 rpm. there is a mph/rpm charton the od gear website for comparason.

tryon

I have a GMC Topkick with a bad 3116 and a good 5spd. trans with recent new clutch. Don't know if it is an OD but if you are interested shoot a PM and I can get model numbers, etc. to see if it would meet your needs.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
no, i am refering to this thread. most OD trans are just that, OD, while the 3053 with my gear set is more like another gear which is what is needed with such a low rear ratio. i am very surprised no one has done this swap, i think it would be the best of both worlds.

tom

Ok, I understand now. I was just confused because post #48 didn't mention a flywheel. If I was to go back to a Spicer I could also install a PTO/Winch. Starting to sound more and more attractive. My next step though is to talk to a local transmission/diff/gear shop to see what ideas they may come up with.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
keep in mind that no one has ever found a trans with this much OD that will fit in the short space available. given that you would spend, $3000 doing this, (a guess) it would take some time for payback, but driving at 65-70 is much nicer than 48.

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
parts, you may be able to do it just a little bit cheaper if you already have some of the parts like the trans and clutch. life aint cheap!

I hope to take my A3 from Atlanta to the family farm in south Georgia multiple times a year. The trip is 240 miles which means that I could make the trip in about 1.5 hours less time (each way) if I could travel at 70mph. I would rather take that time and use it around the farm/river/ponds than to use it absorbing the scenery along I-16 (I have made that trip hundreds of times and there is nothing along that route that I haven't already seen or care to see). To each his own though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks