• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing my starter with a gear reduction style

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For us starter-technology challenged, could you elaborate? The usual Deuce starter is direct drive, right?

I am sure, the manufacturer and part number of your starter would be of interest, too!

Keith_J

Gear reduction drives spin faster because the motor is more efficient when at a lower torque load. Less current too.

Since torque is proportional to current and current is limited by wiring, reduction drives multiply torque. This allows higher speed on the engine which is always a great thing.

I know the Chevrolet CUCVs, and the Onan MEP-002/003A diesel generators had gear reduction starter modifications. Didn't know the M35s had them. Good to know. Bet it is a bit lighter too.

jerseyjeep2003

SAASE: 39MT OEM starter selection page
This is a link to the exact starter that I bought, $230. I picked it up since he was semi local to me. I just finished putting it in this evening. I discovered what caused my old starter to crap out....The push button start switch stayed stuck in the start position, causing the starter to be completely engaged for about 15 miles of highway speeds. So I rewired a new LED switch in that lights when the starter is engaged, looks neat and is a good safeguard in case for any reason the starter stays powered. I'll try and get some pics over the weekend.

Yes, the original starter is a direct drive unit that will draw more amps when cranking. A gear reduction starter takes less draw to turn over the motor, so in theory it is easier on the batteries.

Oh, I had to drill the 3 mounting holes out to 5/8" since the 12 tooth starter only came with 1/2" mounting hole, but no big deal. And the new starter was about half the weight of the original, so it was a lot easier to lift it into place

YAY....:grin: It feels good to be driving :driver: Bob again.

Last edited:

jerseyjeep2003

Gear reduction drives spin faster because the motor is more efficient when at a lower torque load. Less current too.

Since torque is proportional to current and current is limited by wiring, reduction drives multiply torque. This allows higher speed on the engine which is always a great thing.

I know the Chevrolet CUCVs, and the Onan MEP-002/003A diesel generators had gear reduction starter modifications. Didn't know the M35s had them. Good to know. Bet it is a bit lighter too.
It is 30 lbs versus the 70 lbs of the original.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part number

SAASE: 39MT OEM starter selection page
This is a link to the exact starter that I bought, $230. I picked it up since he was semi local to me. I just finished putting it in this evening. I discovered what caused my old starter to crap out....The push button start switch stayed stuck in the start position, causing the starter to be completely engaged for about 15 miles of highway speeds. So I rewired a new LED switch in that lights when the starter is engaged, looks neat and is a good safeguard in case for any reason the starter stays powered. I'll try and get some pics over the weekend.

Yes, the original starter is a direct drive unit that will draw more amps when cranking. A gear reduction starter takes less draw to turn over the motor, so in theory it is easier on the batteries.

Oh, I had to drill the 3 mounting holes out to 5/8" since the 12 tooth starter only came with 1/2" mounting hole, but no big deal. And the new starter was about half the weight of the original, so it was a lot easier to lift it into place

YAY....:grin: It feels good to be driving :driver: Bob again.

Outside of cost is there any reason that one of the other models
would not work that has possibly more features?

Thanks,
Orren

jerseyjeep2003

Outside of cost is there any reason that one of the other models
would not work that has possibly more features?

Thanks,
Orren
I had one shop diagnose my old starter, for which he wasn't able to get a replacement armature. Then he said the aftermarket starters that would fit would be 39 MT or 42 MT. He gave me some crazy high prices, so I did some research and found the place listed in the link. Anything that is not gear reduction has a "snout" to support the bendix shaft, from what I have been told you have to watch the size and shape of it so it clears the bell housing.

As far as the model # I got, it is on my receipt as Item # PRPU392412VB Description (STR4391) 39mt 24V 12 tooth Starter. Since I had my old starter in hand I showed them what I needed and this is what he suggested.

So far so good with the whole upgrade, It really isn't a difficult job to do and it eliminates the troublesome remote relay. I think my next mod will now be switching out the generator for a 24 volt alternator which he also carries @ around $130.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So far so good with the whole upgrade, It really isn't a difficult job to do and it eliminates the troublesome remote relay. I think my next mod will now be switching out the generator for a 24 volt alternator which he also carries @ around $130.
I got a 100a Prestolite or Delco single wire for about $130. I will see if I can find the # when I get home.

jerseyjeep2003

Cool, The one he has is also a Delco, but I think it is only a 70 amp. A 70 would probably be sufficient since there aren't many accessories to power, but, a 100 amp would be better.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine fit for starter

I had one shop diagnose my old starter, for which he wasn't able to get a replacement armature. Then he said the aftermarket starters that would fit would be 39 MT or 42 MT. He gave me some crazy high prices, so I did some research and found the place listed in the link. Anything that is not gear reduction has a "snout" to support the bendix shaft, from what I have been told you have to watch the size and shape of it so it clears the bell housing.

As far as the model # I got, it is on my receipt as Item # PRPU392412VB Description (STR4391) 39mt 24V 12 tooth Starter. Since I had my old starter in hand I showed them what I needed and this is what he suggested.

I have the LDT-465 engine. What engine do you have that this starter fit?

Thanks, Orren

AZDeuce

I like the idea of the gear reduction starter, I can replace parts, but am not savy enough to think out side the box, so I have a few questions.

If this installation does away with the starter relay, then how do you wire it up? Got a diagram for us electrical challenged types?

Also I noticed the stock deuce starter has an aluminum spacer plate between the starter and the bell housing......do you need to use this spacer with the gear reduction starter, or do you discard it?

jerseyjeep2003

It doesn't totally do away with a starter relay, but it has a smaller, sealed unit relay attached to the new starter. With that you will not need the old relay attached to the block. I wired mine by taking the wire from the top of the old relay (from push button switch) and attaching it to the hot side of the new relay (small phillips screw). Then the wire marked #10 (horn relay wire) went to the hot side (large lug) of the solenoid, The wire from the generator also goes to the large lug on the solenoid. Then the last 2 wires are simple, hot from the batteries goes to the hot side of the solenoid also, and the ground from the frame goes to the large lug of the motor itself. The spacer stays, do not remove it. Be sure to replace the push button starter switch. Mine was sticking and caused all of my problems.The hardest part of the install is bench pressing the old starter out of the truck...it is heavy. Probably be easier wits a small ratchet strap and lower from above. But, hey, I never do things the easy way the first time. Hahaha I will try and get some better pics tomorrow and mark them with details.

It is my understanding that this starter will fit any of the multifuel engines. If you check with the guys at the link I gave, they are very knowledgeable and will be able to work from the original starter numbers.

Last edited:

jerseyjeep2003

Not sure if this one would work but it is a 39MT, 24V, and 12 tooth:

NEW STARTER DELCO 39MT 24 VOLT 10461759 19011512 8200027 8200044 SDR0328 | eBay
Not sure, it looks similar, but I don't see any bolts that would allow you to "clock" the mounting flange. Even though there is a ton of room around the starter, it is still has only one position that the flange will bolt into and allow the solenoid to clear the block or the frame. Plus I don't think that one has the relay attached. It may work as a replacement, but, I don't know....50/50 shot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks