• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are these lights?

jimm1009

The IR lights are for use at night but only with Night Vision Goggles.
They light up the land scape in a green tint but you see mostly everything in black and white.
The only way to know that they are on without NVGs is to hold your hand right next to it and feel for the heat or put an amp meter int he power line and look for current draw. The only other way is to take the green lense off and turn them on with it temporarily removed.

The IR lights look so dark green that you can mistake it for black in color.
The light bulb could be hi and low or just high and they range from 12 to 24 volts in application depending on what you need.

I have a set on the front of my M1009 that I will take a picture of and post here in an edit in jut a few minutes. Mine are 60 / 55 watt 12 volt units.

jimm1009
Edit: Here are two pictures of the lights and these are the most common units issued.

Attachments

Last edited:

LifeLongWNYer

The lights in the OP's picture were but one version of light, all using the same basic housing made by the McDermott outfit. The ring on the front held a plastic lens which was available in several colors, usually seen ( red, amber blue and clear ) on trucks and emergency vehicles. The bulbs were sealed beam bulbs, but in fog, flood or spot types, depending on what beam spread was desired.

They didn't look "too cool" so their use on emergency vehicles was somewhat limited, ( I have seem them chromed and mounted on fire trucks ) but the NY State Dept of Transportation bought them in boat loads, and mounted them on a upright, "L" shaped section of pipe, at the back corners of the medium sized dump trucks. They pivoted on the short section of the "L" so as the dump box was raised, the light always faced perpendicular to the road. They called them "swing lights" and were very common on the pothole patching trucks.

I've also seen them in a "recessed" mount, where the cup-shaped housing was inside the side of a truck, and only the lens and ring was on the exterior.

McDermott was good at making a light, then regenerating it into many different versions to get wide use out of a few basic parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks