• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drove into the yard this afternoon and there it was, old green iron!

91W350

The title pretty much tells the story, headed out to grab some windshields and frames out of the five tons and an instrument cluster, some small parts and maybe siphon off some more fuel. Unlock the gates, pull inside and there was a flat hood and round green cab... are you kidding me? Somebody brought this in for iron after all these years. Glen

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Glen Is that a Chevy or a GMC? If it's on the way to the crusher I could use the grill and headlight guard.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looks like it had a rear winch, in #5 pic, you can see the winch drive

91W350

I suspect the same bunch brought these in, there are five early 40's GMC and Chevrolet heavy trucks that came in yesterday or Friday. I would like to save whatever somebody really needs. It is pretty straight, but really rusty.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your yard needs to check the radiation detectors, that Chevy still has the bigtime radioactive gauges in it. I will be glad to buy the cluster if you care to pull it. Too bad the truck has to die.

91W350

I wish I could find a buyer for the whole rig before it gets buried and crushed. I always thought they were awesome trucks, this one is too rusty for my limited welding skills. Lots of good parts here though!

alkay3

91W350, Do you happen to have any pictures of the other 1940's GMC's you mentioned. We collect early big GMC's and are always on the hunt for more or for parts.

We are also looking for some CCKW's my grandfather bought following WWII. These would have oil field beds on them. They were painted gray over black company colors and had Coralena Oil Company decals on the doors. He bought 48 of these trucks along with two COE Autocars and one White 950x6.

They were based in Russell, Kansas. We have been over a lot of that area and have not found any of the trucks as yet. I would appreciate if you could keep an eye out.

Thanks, Al Kasishke al_kasishke@yahoo.com

91W350

I acted too slow, I told the boss we needed to set those off to the side. I went out today and they have mutilated them all with loaders. The fluids have been drained, radiators ripped out, it sucks, to be honest. I was hoping to help some guys out with some hard to find parts. I plan to go to work out there shortly, I will have more input and a little control over what goes on. One of those big Chevrolets had a really straight grill. 8( Glen

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't feel too bad. Scrap yards are like a black hole. Once through the gate, it is minutes before it's gone forever. I swear you could drive a new Cadillac in there and they would crush it and put it on the pile.

Rix52m37

I need the 2 rear cross members from a 1 1/2 ton Chevy . Is the frame still there? I just bought one of these great trucks . The rear most cross member is bent like someone tried to pull something huge . The second cross member is missing all together.

Last edited:

91W350

Trying to work a deal for a guy in Bennington for the whole remains. He needs a rear axle. He would like to raid other parts, like front axle parts as spares. He is going to have to be fast though. We just bought 300 cars and are crushing like mad to make room for them. He needs to call his trucks in from across the US and get all 34 of them hauling metal, the yard is getting full, quickly! This rain will slow the intake, but I am sure the scrappers in the area are cleaning copper and buying iron for next week. The spare tire carrier is gone, had two ask about that already. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks