• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck in full throttle multi

Capt.Marion

Gosh, I've missed having super-informative threads like these on the site.

Thanks for all the pictures and good clear information Gimpy and company!

Horst

went thru all of this with the help of gimpy just the other day. One thing worth to mention is maybe this (not my idea, but AMBAC manual). They say don't cut the safety wire but rather break them with pliers. Reasoning is that you have less of a danger that any small pieces of safety wire fly into the IP.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To clarify, the movement of the linkage discussed above is the end result of the governor/foot pedal operation and yes it must move freely.
The "gas" pedal position is balanced by the governor action and determines the rpm. The linkage transmits the action to the fuel control block inside the hydraulic head.
If the governor cannot adjust to the foot pedal position there may be a different problem, like a broken spring, for example.
Having said that, a sticky linkage could very well be the problem in this case, since the engine has been sitting for a while.
Just my two cents.

Horst

After removing the control rod you will be able to see the little block moving up and down (called plunger sleeve). It shall move freely and actually should drop down under its own weight ( after you lifted it with a small screwdriver)

Last edited:

citizensoldier

Gosh, I've missed having super-informative threads like these on the site.

Thanks for all the pictures and good clear information Gimpy and company!
This was my first posting on here in over a month. I suffered from a catastrophic computer melt down. I had the shakes and sweats the first week..:D After that it was back to life like the pre internet days.. I never missed a beat and found I was much more productive in my free time.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In this particular truck I have ran allot of gas and oil mix. Would some of our "Alternative" fuels wink ,wink, contribute or cause this problem? Or is this the norm for them?
The IP governor and related parts are lubed by crankcase oil and the fuel would not normally come in contact with any of the parts.
Veggie oil may possibly cause stickiness of the HD components if it's cold enough...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gosh, I've missed having super-informative threads like these on the site...
Well, it's because so much has been covered in the past and the OP usually just gets a link these days. Personally, I rather see the material covered again and again since new posters will add new info and that's what makes a forum a forum.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In this particular truck I have ran allot of gas and oil mix. Would some of our "Alternative" fuels wink ,wink, contribute or cause this problem? Or is this the norm for them?
Doesn't matter what fuel, this happens often. I have even had to do it on two trucks while doing recoverys.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, it's because so much has been covered in the past and the OP usually just gets a link these days. Personally, I rather see the material covered again and again since new posters will add new info and that's what makes a forum a forum.
Had I not been using that PC, I would have found a link, but the info was there so it was easier to just post pics!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here are some pictures that I have posted in the past.

In the first one you remove the safety wire (cutting or breaking), remove the two screws and the keeper on the rod. Then you slide out the Fuel Control Unit.

MAKE SURE you retrieve the Plunger Sleeve Pin. And don't loose it.

The second picture is a diagram of how the IP Hydralic Head functions. It is looking from the front of the IP.

The dark lines are the fuel path.

Here is a "simplified" explaination.

1. The Fuel Control Unit (kill switch) moves up and down, the Plunger Sleeve Pin swivels in the groove on the Plunger Sleeve.

2.When the Sleeve is UP, the fuel will flow into the Spill Passage. When it is DOWN no fuel will flow and the engine stops.

3. When the engine is turning, the camshaft, quill shaft and associated items turn and move

4. When the Plunger Drive Gear moves it moves the Fuel Plunger UP and DOWN

5. While the plunger is going up and down, a gear inside the HH is moving in a circle, moving from injector line to injector line. The pressure of the plungler is building preassure inside each of the injector lines.

6.When the cylinder is ready to fire and the preassure is high enough, the injector will "POP" open and spray the fuel into the cylinder. We Have Fire!!!

SO.....with all that said, If the Plunger Sleeve is gummed up and doesn't move freely, the truck will not start or will run at full throttle.

And here are a couple of threads talking about the same issue.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/41122-injection-pump-repair.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/29359-m35a2c-clogged-fuel-system.html

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump.

It seems like we are having alot of trucks lately that won't start due to no fuel at the injectors or run at full throttle

citizensoldier

I did what they said to in this thread and the truck started and ran like it was supposed to. My conclusion is that letting them sit a long time with the kill cable pulled out does this. It was my habit to do this in case a youngster jumped in the truck it would not start. I now just unhook the batteries and push it back in for long sleeps.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here are some pictures that I have posted in the past.

Here is a "simplified" explaination
2.When the Sleeve is UP, the fuel will flow into the Spill Passage. When it is DOWN no fuel will flow and the engine stops.

2. Well no when the sleeve is UP it holds the spill port closed longer and it gets more fuel. When it is Down the spill port is open and less fuel or no fuel. No problem.

olly69

Hey thanks for the info & pics. Mine just did that to me, and its gonna be stinkin' cold out here in NY. But without you guys, I'd be there trying to figure it out. Bless you man!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks