• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Machining in MINIATURE ?!?!?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, would be cool to built a miniature LDT multi-fuel!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WOW, all I can say is WOW, the SKILL that it took to build that, WOW

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, would be cool to built a miniature LDT multi-fuel!
My thoughts exactly.

In a past-life, I fantasized about miniature Live Steam locomotives. As I aged, I happily "grew up" to full scale OD Iron. Now to meld the two and miniaturize not only the engine, but possibly a complete Deuce. That would be a worthy challenge.

I guess it's time to start GL bidding on those mobile machine shops.......

Heath_h49008

In my machine tool class we built miniature radials as semester projects... non-functional desk cranked v twins.

I kept thinking about the nitromethane model airplane engines I used as a kid and couldn't help think how easy it would be to swap out the materials for ones that could be made functional as a glow plug engine.

The only issue is time and testing... I can't imagine the skill these old guys have who build these functional micro engines with basic lathes and mills. That's the machinist I want to learn from!

saddamsnightmare

November 29th, 2011.

The gent's V-12 is about the equivalent of the engines and such that Journeymen machinists and blacksmiths used to make to qualify as a masterpiece. With CNC machinery and rapid prototyping, I would guess that it is easier today, but still a tour de force. There have been live steam locomotives built in HO and I believe a couple have been built in N scale 1:120!:D

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
November 29th, 2011.

The gent's V-12 is about the equivalent of the engines and such that Journeymen machinists and blacksmiths used to make to qualify as a masterpiece. With CNC machinery and rapid prototyping, I would guess that it is easier today, but still a tour de force. There have been live steam locomotives built in HO and I believe a couple have been built in N scale 1:120!:D
Yes, HO scale Live Steam Locomotives are done almost frequently. (1/89th scale - or is it 1/84th?) On the other hand, N scale (1:160) Live Steam has been successfully built but is EXTREMELY RARE.

For a scale MV, I would probably want to stick to a more reasonable 1/16th or maybe 1/24th scale since my eyesight just isn't what it used to be.

Heck, I'm still trying to learn enough about our 1:1 scale Deuce to feel competent ! ! !

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
N-scale is 1:160. I would love a 1:12 r/c deuce.
At 1:12 scale a model deuce would HAVE TO move under it's own power!!! It would be too heavy to just pick up and carry home from the local playground. I'm guessing that at that scale (with modeling deviations) it would weigh in at 800-1000 lbs easily, and depending on "trueness to scale" could weigh a TON or more.

When to we get started ????

:idea:

Josh

At 1:12 scale a model deuce would HAVE TO move under it's own power!!! It would be too heavy to just pick up and carry home from the local playground. I'm guessing that at that scale (with modeling deviations) it would weigh in at 800-1000 lbs easily, and depending on "trueness to scale" could weigh a TON or more.

When to we get started ????

:idea:
A 1/12 scale deuce would be about 27 inches long and 8 inches wide. If I'm not mistaken. I may need be off some but I have a pair if 1/5th scale RC Baja trucks and they are about4ft long and 2ft wide.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1/12 scale deuce would be about 27 inches long and 8 inches wide. If I'm not mistaken. I may need be off some but I have a pair if 1/5th scale RC Baja trucks and they are about4ft long and 2ft wide.

Josh,
Your figures are correct. 1 foot in full scale is reduced to 1 inch in the 1:12 ratio.

If it were a 1:6 or maybe a 1:5 it could make a neat kids' ride-on model.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought about building an RC deuce. There is a company that makes the axles, wheels, tires, and a Tcase. I think it would be alot easier to have to engine built to the same scale as the parts that are already available, rather than making it your own scale and have to build EVERYTHING from scratch..

But then again then the engine might be too small, and wont have enough power if you do it that way...

Here are a few pictures...

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have seen a vid of a R/C m26 and vids of other 6x6 and 8x8 R/C trucks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks