• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M886 Ambulance

Lawrence of Arabia

Front Fenders

I'm not sure what that tag is but I doubt it's the production #, that is if you are refering to the truck in the 1st pic.
It's too old and may not be a Mark body, IIRC the owner of the red one (2nd pic)told me his 72 was built by someone else, it has a Braden winch check this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m880/8364-power-wagon-ambulance.html

Also the 3rd pic is another 72 or 73, see his --> http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m880/71351-retired-florida.html

I've read that there were approximately 4400 ambulances(4000 - M886's & 400 M893's) made in the M880/M890 series which were made by Mark Body. These were all '76 or 77's
My 78 W400 was also made by Mark Body (4th pic towing my M886)
And the last one too :shock:
I am noticing some front fenders have a body line that follows the wheel opening and some dont' My original fenders have no body line but the repalcements I want to install do have it. What it right? Were the ones without lines different or just modified with body filler?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your wheel openings have been cut and rolled for tire clearance.
This was unique to those early contract Dodges.
essentially the wheel opening was increased to the body line.
Note the difference in the distance to the side marker light from the wheel opening.
The inner fenderweels were modified also. so if you put stock Dodge fenders on, you'll need new inner fenders as well.

Did you acquire that blue ambo from Fred & Sally B.?

Lawrence of Arabia

That would explain why the fenders are riveted to the inners. I am putting fresh sheet metal on the front and I have new inners also.

Yes, Fred gave me a sweet deal on it. The truck was one of the more solid Dodge's that I have seen, pre restorations that is.

Worst part is the roof at the top where it meets the windshield. I am taking it this week to have a used roof put on.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would explain why the fenders are riveted to the inners. I am putting fresh sheet metal on the front and I have new inners also.

Yes, Fred gave me a sweet deal on it. The truck was one of the more solid Dodge's that I have seen, pre restorations that is.

Worst part is the roof at the top where it meets the windshield. I am taking it this week to have a used roof put on.
Me, I would keep & repair the existing fenders, I like the extra tire clearence.

While I never seen it, Fred had told me about it a few years ago. Plus there being more than 2 in the state would be quite rare.

Last edited:

Lawrence of Arabia

Fenders

My fenders are rotten. I am going to examine them as I have the front clip off the truck in one piece. If it is not a lot of work I will fab the new fenders and make them correct.

penokeevet

Had planned to sell my M886, and concentrate on my M725, but after reading numerous posts I got stimulated enough to now keep the M886 and possibly paint it OD. I may have paid a little too much for mine ($3,200.00), but it's in good condition and it isn't like I have too many years to look around at age 79. Sold my M35A3 and M923 because it was just getting too difficult to raise the hood, etc. Can handle the hoods on my M886, M725, M715, M38A1, M1008 and M1009. Drove the Big Boys in the 50,s in Korea, Japan, Colorado and DC., but then I was 18-21. Time marches on - enjoy every day.:D

Amer-team

I use the M886 mostly for storing the military tents. But it nice to drive a vehicle that goes 60 without strain, has wipers and heater that work, and there aren't too many stock M886's around. Finally got the power steering in and put some newer tires on it too. The air dam over the cab had a pretty good dent where they tried to drive under something too low. Am not looking forward to drilling out all the rivets to straighten it out. One of these days. Happy trails.

Amer-team

I use the M886 mostly for storing the military tents. But it nice to drive a vehicle that goes 60 without strain, has wipers and heater that work, and there aren't too many stock M886's around. Finally got the power steering in and put some newer tires on it too. The air dam over the cab had a pretty good dent where they tried to drive under something too low. Am not looking forward to drilling out all the rivets to straighten it out. One of these days. Happy trails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks