• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M886 Ambulance

Wy-m880

Yes it follow me home, miss's said she even liked it, but i finally found one and was just scrolling CL and it was just posted 15min before i saw it, it was a gamble if it was still there, emailed the nice dodge enthusiast like myself and after that and thousand clams later it was mine, just dragged her home tonight here is some pictures for you all!

Attachments

jamieboy

Congrats on your ambulance!! I still remember driving mine home this summer. It's a 893
2 wheel drive model. I actually took it camping a few weeks back and it was a big hit. Can't wait
to make a few rally's this year. Good luck.:D

Attachments

Wy-m880

Yes parts are good! lol but i cant seem to find a straight passenger side fender, and there is some rust see lots of it under cab air aero but the parts truck has good cab from kick panel to roof might have to do metal surgery but it is solid every where else and there is also hole drilled every where on the anti rusting proceedure with plastic caps, havent found out yet where it last served bump on front been replaced and back square bump pads are looking beaten well, but she only has 46k and found some info that it was from auction at 17k in 1997 and its a toss up on where it served, but some light sand paper might piece together the puzzle and just an idea i know there isnt many left of the original 5000 of these we should get together and start a registry of the survivors

Attachments

Last edited:

Wy-m880

yes kinda sucks that it was, basically looks like a van trailer and hurts to see it like that but i saved it from being chopped hacked or hot rodded its got a good home

jamieboy

One of these days i will have enough money to buy Bob's w400, or maybe get very lucky and find
one!!!! great truck Bob..... Thanks for sharing your photos everyone.:)

Wy-m880

Well decided to attack the ambulance today, found good and found bad, first bad, Fenders were rotted behind bracing, no inner fender well that is worth a **** in my inventory, spare rad support that came with truck as for parts was rotted on battery side, *now the good* Rad support on 76 m880 was excellent shape, i have black out lights! and good main black out light, the brand new NOS hood gets put to good use and i straightened out the front bumper:grd:

Attachments

fallen

That looks way to cold for me. It was sunny and 56 degrees yesterday when i was working on my M886. Looks like a good project. Does yours have the litter racks. Mine had been removed. I lucked out and found the jeep version (J20 i think) The back books were locked so no one could remove the interior. Unfortunatley the body of the jeep was rusted beyond repair but i was able to purchase the interior of the ambulance body. Oyherwise the whole thing would be in my back yard. Looks like i'm going to have to wait until spring to repaint it. Now part of it is white and part is camo.

Wy-m880

Yes fallen its been cold lol, i also need to find parts my rear doors seem to be hashed, they work but have splits where they were bent at one time as for rear interoir im stealing parts from a slide in camper to complete it, some one also cut brackets out that held the door that slides in cabin i would like to make it back authentic but i already know most will never find these parts again so i am making out side to original modernise the rear to go camping in the wind river and big horn ranges here in wyoming and to be a parade float maybe :beer:

nattieleather

I think making it a camper is a good idea since it's already been stripped out. Also there's nothing like doing body work in the snow. Good thing you have spare parts around! Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!

Wy-m880

Well after warming up to about 40 degrees i attacked it yet again today kind of kicked it into overdrive and end result after 6 hours all bolted up and temporary primer and found out that krylon makes an indoor/outdoor satin Italian olive paint in the can with red oxide under primer looks rather authentic green, but also to add this truck was a 1977 and i know the grille is not the original try competing with lil red express owners they attack our surplus parts and the civilian fender makes nice for actually mounting and oem style antenna with out swiss cheese, my thoughts on finding all 77 parts for the grill but thats going wait still need 3 whole sets of fenders for all three trucks $$$$$$ but i am on the look for a grille

Attachments

Last edited:

fallen

The J20 I have beem getting parts from is located at Delks in Ashboro NC 1-366-629-0991. The j-20 still has both rear doors. They are in great shape. It also has the front sliding door. It is in great shape and complete.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks