• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M886 Ambulance

Wy-m880

Well i got bored and creative, was tired of staring at it plainly so i know she is going to the soda blaster in spring but it is in due progress, also taking new ideas for Bumper id as i just threw some out there here is what she came out to

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have fun with the Ambulance!

I am finishing up a M43 right now and know how the ambulances can be a load of fun and a ton of work. Sure like your pictures and progress, Nice camo paint for being bored.

Good luck and thanks for the Pic's and the podt.

steelandcanvas

...i also need to find parts my rear doors seem to be hashed, they work but have splits where they were bent at one time.
Most 880 series ambulances seem to have the rear doors split, I think it's caused from trying to shut the doors with the steps out. Ours is the same way. I thought about drilling the rivets out, pulling the two shells apart, and re-enforcing the edge with some angle iron. If you have some ideas on repair, please share them with us.

Wy-m880

HOLY! 600 beans id say the better come installed lol but i am wanting to reinforce them was thinking of tig welding but i am skeptical i think theyre fiber insulated, and that would not be good to be internal fire, and if i had 1200 extra dollars id first put and injector pump on my Lincoln 400 SAM welder, but i know they shut and just dont seal and if i convert to camper cold wyoming nights arent going to cut it, i do have sort of some questions on how to disassemble the top cab aero shield and whats the sealant used on all seams of body? and if any pics of top cab i think there was a drip edge over the dodge cab drip edge? Or should i just separate the cab /body and use another cab?

Wy-m880

Thank you bob! you are the master! do you still have that sliding door on that truck with rollers? very interested! pm me with price if you do

Wy-m880

bored again on my last day off, changed a windshield in 40 degree weather, SOOO not recommended!! and brought back some goodies from a hidden secret stash yard too! Big block 4core Rad looks new! grille off 78 half ton, rear sliding glass window 440/727Short shaft yolk, unmarried 205, and Dana 44 hubbed axle, bonus is POWERSTEERING!! Sad is the truck its out of was scrapped i saved the rest, but i walked away with all for $350 not bad!!!

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you bob! you are the master! do you still have that sliding door on that truck with rollers? very interested! pm me with price if you do
Good News - yep I have a sliding door assy
Bad News - My '78 W400 USAF Ambulance was made without a door, so it is slated for that. Sorry.

a note on your recent parts find.
The steering changed from 77 to 78
To use the 78 PS box, you will also need the steering column and the '78 drag link. The bracket on the frame of the 76/77 will need to go by by.

edit:
just reviewed your pics, the power steering / frame section is not a 78, it is 75-77 so the box is a direct swap!

Last edited:

Wy-m880

Bob i never throw anything away, lol spare parts are great to have! but if anything once i can post classifieds i got parts to swap or sell! but thanks that what i figured my bonus was cause it didnt occur to me till it was home lmao!!rofl

Wy-m880

i love mine, especially the looks when i pull up to a red light, few vets have saluted me, and it runs better than most dodges in my stable, but my m880 just got finished putting a 4bbl on it, but i only drove it with the lift and tires about 2miles from the house, dont want to get to wild since i only am in 4hi, and no drive line on front (repairs), ambulance needs wiring done on it since it technically was born a 77, and rolled back to a 76, lighting and harness just alittle different, and whole black out lights are shot to sheet! but trying hard to hold back on stuffing a rebuild 440 i had recently aquired in to one of them, (parts truck might be perfect victim)
your rig looks great, im not fond of lifting mine almost clipped the drive thru liquor store overhang already, (getting liquid ambition)

ironbulance

yes these ambulances are tall to begin with lol and a bit top heavy but i like the rocking ride, funny when u pull out over a curb or something at an angle and it leans back & forth kinda like a bus lol:-D probly has a bit to do with having no front sway bar because of lift the end links won't reach, but I added a steering stabilizer to it.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes these ambulances are tall to begin with lol and a bit top heavy but i like the rocking ride, funny when u pull out over a curb or something at an angle and it leans back & forth kinda like a bus lol:-D probly has a bit to do with having no front sway bar because of lift the end links won't reach, but I added a steering stabilizer to it.
hmmm........
My w400 sits up there and has a factory sway bar.

Wy-m880

well today was nice day, added blackout lights, wired lights, and put in some brand new NOS 74-76 lights, and ups delivered my bridge plate while i was outside

Attachments

Wy-m880

id fab up some or start from the top of your spring block, and build the brace on up and lengthen down with end links, instead of really long end links risk of snapping, i have extra sway bar was going to go on a half ton i have, but ill look what mods, or build a bracket down from framebushings, id do a lateral brace between the drop (cross memeber) between them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks