• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AZ will not title HMMWVs as of today

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to ADOT at lake havasu AZ today to title my HMMWV for the road. They said, they got serveral inter dept. memos today from the main office not to register or title Military HMMWVs anymore as of today. she said the memo stated HMMWVs are not safe for the road, does not meet DOT standards, and AZ will not honor any other state titles or SF 97s for register or title purposes. all current AZ registered HMMWVs are ok. any comments?:(

Last edited:

ryan77

They think a prius is safer then a hummer!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about any car from the 30-50's that have no seat belts are they not going to title them!!!

Varyag

Yeah, I would fight it. There is no reason to suddenly exclude certain vehicles and include others falling into the same reasons. I am sure a good lawyer could negate it.

They think a prius is safer then a hummer!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about any car from the 30-50's that have no seat belts are they not going to title them!!!

Arizona is the worst for getting for getting 'outside the box' stuff titled. Old Harley's without a frame number have the same problem as well as anything that doesn't have 17 digits in the serial number. This is a total PITA but here is how I've gotten around it before. I used a title service out of Las Vegas, took that paper work to New Mexico and got a title there. You'll need a PO box or a utilities receipt ( which means you need to know somebody that will help you ) They are much less uptight over there. Then, with a legitimate title ( the title already exist ) you just transfer it to Arizona. Just transfer it, not register it. Then, later at some other DMV you register it. It's a total pain and it's not a guarantee but it's worked for me.

abh3

You really need to read the law they are interpreting. Alabama tried the same thing with military vehicles made after 1974 by applying a law written to keep golf carts, atvs, race-cars and everything else we crazy rednecks will try to run on the street off said streets... But the law specifically states they'll only title/tag vehicles that conform to APPLICABLE DOT standards for their date of manufacture... Federal Code specifically exempts military vehicles so there are NO applicable standards! And there's a DOT opinion out there that the exemption goes with the vehicle. Search for 'Fun is over in Alabama' (I think that's it) for details.

As far as Humvees go it's bad news in Bama, they are specifically named as NOT titleable but maybe AZ hasn't gone this route...

Good luck!

Haasino

Try another DMV before you throw in the towel... Los Angeles DMV office told me basically the same thing last year... Placerville DMV and CHP didn't bat an eye and titled/registered it without issue.

Flyingvan911

I think you are mistaken, foxtrot. It's not a HMMWV, it's a "Jeep Jeep Other". That's what Missouri put my deuce down as because such cool vehicles are not listed in the computer. $104 a year for a 24k plate and assessed value of $85 for property taxes.

desert demon

My friend here in Salt Lake Ut says the same thing here.He was going to get one from DRMO just north of here but they told him he could only register it for off road use only.If they are so unsafe why can the military drive them on the road?I have driven quite of few of these in my military time and really dont see why they would be unsafe for highway use.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend here in Salt Lake Ut says the same thing here.He was going to get one from DRMO just north of here but they told him he could only register it for off road use only.If they are so unsafe why can the military drive them on the road?I have driven quite of few of these in my military time and really dont see why they would be unsafe for highway use.
You can not buy HMMWVs from the DRMO. They are a demil item.

zak

Quote:
I think you are mistaken, foxtrot. It's not a HMMWV, it's a "Jeep Jeep Other". That's what Missouri put my deuce down as because such cool vehicles are not listed in the computer. $104 a year for a 24k plate and assessed value of $85 for property taxes.

What a Deal!!!! The same thing here is over $500.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks