• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leece-Neville 100 Amp Generator rebuild

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My gauge in my 1980 M35a2C kept going from center of the green when idling down to yellow as soon as I started driving and continued toward boarder line yellow/Red. When I shut down the engine and restart it after a while I'm back in the green until I start driving again. It was suggested that I have it bench tested so I dropped it off. Fellow wants $400 to rebuild it telling me something in the back of the generator is shot from spinning and rubbing or something like that and he has to machine new parts so the cost is mostly labor. This generator has a fat cable that screws on. Every TM document I've read and internet searches I've done (including SS) seem to talk more about 60 amp and 25 amps or conversion kits for 25 amp to 60 amp conversions. Nothing I've seen addresses this 100 amp generator. So I have a couple of questons, does anyone know the history of why they went with this model as I can't find much info on it, is it an anomoly and can you swap it for a different model that will fit the bracket with screw on? and is $400 too much to pay for a rebuild? I really haven't seen any rebuilts for sale and checked Kublos he doesn't have any . Thanks Nick

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you want to stay stock, you might have to bite the bullet. I got a single wire 100amp alt for about $225 new for my 725 a couple years ago.

Stalwart

Usually the problem you describe is from having belts that are too loose. As the belt speed increases the belt climbs higher on the pulley due to the increased acceleration required to curve around the pulley. I have seen alternators act normally at idle and actually STOP spinning entirely when the engine speed increases.

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a fellow who works on trucks check my belts and he said they had the right tension. I put new belts on in the spring when I pulled my radiator. Interestingly, I slaved a generator last week and each time I hit the starter switch on the MEP16A a high pitched squeel came out of the engine compartment. I had the truck idling at about 1000 RPM.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ASSUMING the genny bracket is stock to the truck when it rolled off the assembly line, the 60 amp genny will bolt right to it. I have never seen a decue with anything but a 25 or 60 amp genny, but in the military things happen to get trucks fixed. The 100 ampers will fit where the 60's are and vice versa. 100 amp genny in a deuce is very unusual, the 60 is fine. I have seen 60 and 100 amp gennys sell at shows for $100-200. $400 is nuts, you can find them cheaper than that..

Stalwart

Interestingly, I slaved a generator last week and each time I hit the starter switch on the MEP16A a high pitched squeel came out of the engine compartment. I had the truck idling at about 1000 RPM.
If that happens your belts ARE NOT at the correct tension OR your pulleys are glazed smooth and don't provide enough traction for the belt. You should use a belt tensioner or re-calibrate your friend, it should not be squeaking the belt with a heavy load, especially as low as 1000 rpm.

good

Problem with my m998 Humvee charging starts in the green with the dash after a few mi

Have you figured out my charging quite yet talked to a couple guys they said that the brushes inside are going bad that's why I beginning it starts to charge when it heats up they get loose and goes down to about 23 Waltz it first starts up I'm at about 27.9. Belts that feel real tight but they do slap quite a bit any suggestions

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks