• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M220 soon to be camper

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another one

It's real nice to see another G749 come out.

Hopefully you're going to get the 'other' pictures up soon. You know.....the engine compartment, cab, dash, roof, undercarriage, the back...........those pics.

Thanks for saving and sharing

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got off the phone with MACCUS; they just passed by Sturgis with the M220 and are headed to Custer, SD.:beer:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I've been getting an update about every 20 minutes from them. Last word is its on fire. Before that it was just a mangled pile of steel sitting along the road. Then "Get out the check book, Papa Bear is coming to get it." Now he can't because he does not own a snowmobile suit and it is 6 degrees.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gene said it does have a heater and is working. Sounds like they are only doing mild 45mph. Trying to be easy on it. He noted the right front turn signal is not working and it was missing 2 bolts on the front drive shaft. I'll just send some from the other truck. So far so good!

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Just got back from a late lunch. Recovery was about 120 mile one. The truck is a very good unit. Runs well and is very tight with no slop at all in the drive train. It is a keeper. No problems at all just a slow drive home. It will drive the 700 miles to Wisconsin with no problem I am sure. Not to bad for a truck made in 1953. I sent 20 pictures to Dan and he can post whatever he wants.

Papa Bear said he had no drivers that would venture out in 6 degree temperature. And I know he is a whimp when it comes to the cold places. So I had to suck it up and go for it on my own..

Last edited:

garp

Definitely a clean unit. I used to drool over that rig when it still belonged to the local county search and rescue. It sat under a roof all the time so it was in dry storage the last 30 yrs or more. Good Buy!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I'm very happy. The best part is It is sitting in Maccus's front yard. He emailed me a couple times yesterday about some things he has done to it. I guess I have new shackles! If I keep it there for a while, it probably could get all fixed up! LOL

Gunfreak25

This is a sweet thread, keep em coming Dan. Is it just me or are there an awful lot of nice looking GMC's coming out of the wood work lately?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to the DMV today. I have to say it was a great experience. The people at the counters were very helpful and friendly. Walked out with title, registration, paid tax and #20,000 plates for $321. It is a camper so it is registered as a motor home. I may tow a trailer as a camper. I thought about hobbist or collector plates, but it did not work out due to the weight of the truck and You can only drive it 11 months a year. I did not want check the mailbox for 3 months looking for special plates either. Historic military plates are too restrictive, I want to drive it anytime to anywhere. The motorhome plates are the best choice for me. $93.50 to renew next spring. I'm insured for liability only and that was less expensive as well.

Unfortunately, I cannot do the same with my M211.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks