• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M220 soon to be camper

nattieleather

I'm sorry I can't help you....I haven't had a good adventure in long time. I hope it works out for you. Can the wife help or is that not an option?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the encouragement. I broke it, but not bad. I hate to admit it, but I gave up too early. Made the commitment to leave it and return with a radiator and waterpump. Then got it to a ranch. We should have re-evaluated that decision at that point. Kind of baffled about the black stuff in the antifreeze. I had Maccuss on the phone who had GARP on the phone and he thought it may be deteriorated rubber from the hoses. I just assumed it was oil. About 2 days later, the light bulb went on. I washed my clothes expecting oil stains and there were none. I noticed the black "oil" on my tools was not oily, it was indeed what Garp indicated. Then we remembered the black stuff dried on the fenders as we drove away. Antifreeze just has that sloppery feeling. It threw me and I went worst case and stopped thinking further. Otherwise we were getting all the bugs worked out.

Option 4: I talked to someone about having it hauled as a last resort, but I'm to stubborn. I have to fix it anyway. I have to "know the truck." I cannot think of a better way to learn it than to fix it!

Option 3: My wife and kids could be of assistance on the weekend of the 20th, but I have a hard time waiting.

Option 2: Find a driver, fix it and drive both home.

Option 1: Drive out, fix it, unhook the trailer and leave it. Drive the M220 and towbar the pickup.

No one got hurt. We had a great time. We intend to keep hauling stuff around the country. It has not even gotten frustrating yet. :shock:

I realized this is why I have a job. I like to do stuff like this.

Dan

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pulling a radiator out of my 3rd 211. The first works fine, but has some fan blade injury. Looks like it is only fin damage, but I'm not taking the chance on spending another $400 in gas! Pulled the Waterpump off as a spare too.

I'm loading the pickup in anticipation for the trip on Monday. :cookoo:

M1031CMT

Good luck. Looking forward to your progress. It is a nice truck, and pretty rare to find one with the box on the back, as almost all have had them removed long ago. We have had a few of the old GMC's over the years but always sold them and regretted it every time.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything is all loaded up ready to go. I have gone thru the plan a hundred times, bolts packaged by group, correct tools taped to each package of bolts. screwdrivers and clamps taped to the hoses. 2 radiators, 2 waterpumps, antifreeze loaded. I just have to sit here and wait. It is killing me!

I have to give the rancher something for allowing me to park in his yard. Cheese curds? Blatz Beer? Gotta think about that one.

nattieleather

You have new hoses right? How about a new thermostat? Since your going through all that changing any way might as well through a new one of those in too.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well last I heard late last night, they had crossed into MN and all was going well with (I believe) a new radiator installed.:driver:

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well here is what I think I know. Dan met his co-driver somewhere west of Albert Lea, MN and headed to SD to get the truck. The M220 after being fixed doesn't overheat and the gauge issue was a loose wire. All is good except the fuel pump is losing prime occasionally. They made it to the spot they met (co-driver headed home) and dropped the M220 at a truck stop till Friday when he and the family will go back to make the final leg of the trip. He also disconnected the trailer and towed it home to his house, so the M220 is all that's left and it's around 150 miles away.:beer:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
25 hours round trip. Probably 2 hours swapping the waterpump and radiator plus 1 hour jabbering with the rancher. I blew thru the radiator and met resistance. The "new" one had no resistance. Overheat problem has been taken care of! We made it another 350 miles, only 170 to go. will get it Friday/Saturday. The truck has some fuel pump issues. Spent a lot of time on the side of the road. The previous owner changed fuel tanks and is running a carter electric pump. When I get it home I will put everything back to original.
I'm certainly getting to know the truck. It feels like the brakes dragging, but is actually loosing fuel pressure. When I pull the lines off the pump and pump some on the ground, it reprimes and has great power for a while. Then it starves like a non-vented gas cap would do. I'm not kidding, I bet I did this 40 times. Cobbled mess. Acts like the pump is airlocked. Could be a hose collapsing too.

I'm goint to rework it before I go.
Add a fuel pressure guage
all steel lines,
move the pump below the tank
add a return line with a valve
big filter on the pressure side
new inline pump.

All temporary just to get it home.
The truck had impressive power when it was not starving

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M220

EvenI need a shower after that trip.

Had the same 'fuel starving, dragging' symptoms but got lucky and the screen on the fuel line, just inside the carb, grabbed a bunch of scale from the tank.
Cleaned out the pencil tip sized screen, added the inline filter and so far it's been great.

Keep us posted on the repairs, you could write a book.

Welcome home

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks