• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M220 soon to be camper

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soon. Boys slept good. I tossed and turned, fell asleep at 0200 and never moved until 0830. I found a really good mattress for myself and one for the lower bunk. They are better than what I normally sleep on. We purchased new sheets and pillow cases. Will be looking for some rummage sale blankets that will stay in the camper. Gotta make it easy and quick.

Next on the list is to finish the booth that converts to a bed and then the couch. Then comes the lighting and electrical. The lights are 110 and I need to add something that runs off 12 or 24v, Probably some LEDs.

I sent in the manifolds to be machined. I cannot stand the sound of blown out exhaust gaskets. The rest of the exhaust is ready to go in.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a heck of an exhaust leak up by the manifold. I took the manifolds off today. The gasket between the two manifolds was blown out. I see some small hairline cracks as well. Fortunately my brother gave me a good set he picked up at a salvage yard in Cheyenne WY. I was able to get the new manifolds back on. It is kind of a bugger. Have to take the manifolds apart, with heat of course, and replace the gasket. The two get fitted tight and surfaced on a strip of sandbaper from an air file. I stuck the sandpaper on my cast iron table saw for a straight surface. the air file backing is too soft. Then loosen the two up, fit and mounted to the engine to align them. The two get snugged together and carefully loosen and re-tighten the mounting bolts to the engine. I did this several times and carefully torqued them. They just don't feel tight enough, but I'm going to trythe specs this time.
I have a broken throttle stop on the carb and stripped threads on the fuel inlet. Jim brought me 2 good carbs so they go on Sunday. I'll post pics in the morning.
Darn good Brother. Thanks Jim. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

nattieleather

When I had my M211 I was at a meet with another guy that had a Canadian M135. I asked him how he kept his truck so quiet as I had the perpetual manifold leak. He looked at me and I remember his quote. "I change the manifold gasket every spring whether it needs it or not." He then said "remember with the GMC it's not if you have an exhaust leak but when you have an exhaust leak."

When I had my truck the internet was still a new thing that wouldn't take off so information was hard to come by. Many people told me to change to headers. That many hot rod guys used this motor so the legend at the time was that one could find headers for the motor that would fix the exhaust manifold leak. I never found them, but now we have google so who knows. Good luck to you with the leak. The leak was the big reason I sold my truck.

tamangel

Many people told me to change to headers. That many hot rod guys used this motor so the legend at the time was that one could find headers for the motor that would fix the exhaust manifold leak. I never found them, but now we have google so who knows.
anyone looking for 6 cylinder performance info/parts should check this company out.. http://www.cliffordperformance.net/index.html

a quick search of their catalog showed GMC 302 'shorty' headers on page 13..maybe other stuff out there also..I'm sure you could talk to them re: your specific concerns..

Mike W

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZNNNNNNnnnn,
Sweet sound, very video worthy!
Jim, you may get paid...

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could not stop smiling! (I will get it fixed so the video is embedded next time)

I have to say, it has some get up and go now it is getting fuel. New carb, new inline fuel pump, soldered bleedback holes. It is as snappy as the red one.

Attachments

Last edited:

Section8

I just read your list of toys again and keep meaning to ask..
52 xm211 with POWER ASSIST?
I must do some searchin!!
Power assist steering?? Power assist 12 volt power outlets??
Hamster on the fan belt for more speed????!!!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was someone's "bobber" conversion. They took an air assist from another deuce and cobbled it in. At first I thought it was a good idea and then I looked closer. Not good! Seeing how they cut stuff up to get things to fit I decided to torch the truck. Saved the Winch, PTO, trans and every part I could possibly need someday. A guy is taking the 302 for a rat rod today. The rest went to the scrapper.
Oh yea, I saved a few feet of frame rail for the 4 door.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks