• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Army WW1 M1917 Ambulance (Ford)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nice looking replica (or clone). It's good that you put up the photo's on a site (as this), since I only get the MVPA Magazines, and don't bother with the other. As it is more of the same.
IS it, or a restore, untill it is stated NOT a restore I have to think it is a RESTORE

wulfy33

Wow ! Thanks for the good words fellas. In my research to find an original M1917 ambulance I discovered that all the ambulances that I looked at in the museums around the country are replicas. I have concluded the the original M1917 is an extinct vehicle. They were really never designed to last very long. They were a rush production produced by Ford at the request of the US Army to fill the ambulance void in WW1. My ambulance is a re-creation built on a 1920 chassis. almost no changes when compared to the 1917. The difference is a blanking plate on the transmission for an option starter and the location of the filler plug on the rear differential (Henry Ford did not like changing his designs) For those of you that would like to see more pictures check out the build on my website WW1 History.Com Weapons Uniforms WWI Ambulance Project

acrane

Had to add pictures of my M1917 Ambulance. I built this back in 2002, and I think wulfy33 might have called me several hundred times to try and get copies of my plans ;-). Mine is in the markings of C Company, 101st Machine Gun Battalion, 26th "Yankee Division". When WW1 started, Ford was able to get a large number of these Ambulances over to France before the bulk of the AEF arrived. At the time there was a pressing need for motor transport, and many ambulances were repurposed as utility vehicles. The Yankee Division recieved many, and the 101st Machine Gun Battalion was issued these to transport their Hotchkiss machine guns. The markings were copied from a photograph of an original 101st MG Btn vehicle. I have used this for parades and demonstrations with my gas firing Hotchkiss gun, and it is definitly a head turner.

Attachments

wulfy33

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Took my M1917 WW1 Ambulance to the 40th Annual MVPA Convention in Topeka Kansas this year. The Old Lizzy won the MVPA 2015 1st Place Trophy for "Best Vehicle Display" and also won the 3rd Place Trophy for Hagerty's Youth Judges's Choice Award. A great night for a great old vehicle. The people really loved it. Dave O.
For what its worth...."acrane" would never cooperate with my request for his plans, and he is not involved nor has he ever been involved with my project. I had to do this on my own old school style, by getting access to a vehicle in a museum and using it for reference so I could build my Ambulance correctly.
[/FONT]20150627_085401.jpg20150628_074006.jpg20150628_074324.jpg20150628_074436.jpgAM 151 Cover ONeal.jpg

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We saw your ambulance at the convention last month, the pictures here just don't do it justice, you did a great job with it. I have little doubt it's nicer than it was when it left the factory.

Here are some pictures we took:

IMAG0962.jpgIMAG0963.jpgIMAG0964.jpgIMAG0965.jpgIMAG0966.jpgIMAG0967.jpg

wulfy33

Thank you all for the kind words about my WW1 Ambulance. clinto thanks for posting the pictures. I like your choice of detail. Before the show I did a detailed inspection of the engine and it's starting to get very tired. I am still running on an engine that had not been run for 70 years until I found the vehicle behind a barn in a model t graveyard in Iola Kansas. It's starting to smoke and the valve adjusters are dished so accurate adjustment is impossible. The old Tin Lizzy will need an over haul soon.

wulfy33

Yeah Steve. I thought I was doing pretty good with 70 years between overhauls. Any way. The Tin Lizzy still runs pretty decent. I think this winter I might pull the engine and get some work done on it.

wulfy33

It has been awhile since I have posted here. I have been very busy with a couple of restorations and an Engine Overhaul on my WW1 ambulance.
So to make it up to all of you....here is the short 2 minute movie I made about My M1917 Ford ambulance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rBzyseQ-54

Also if you want to see some of my restoration work, go to my website http://www.ww1history.com/
My website is the WW1 Preservation Collection, and you should check out the WW1 machine Gun Cart restoration I did.

Also if you are in the Wichita Kansas area on June 9th or 10th 2017, I will be displaying the WW1 Ambulance at the Black Top Nationals Car show.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks