• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Insurance Prices - How much do you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOUNG GUN

1996 M35A3
Liberty/Oregon
Insured Value $15,000
$42/month
Full Coverage/$250 Deductible/Commercial
No restrictions

Registered as a farm vehicle $76/year

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$204 a year with Gulfway limits 100K, 300K, and 5K value, $500 deductable. Same price for the M818.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:?:Hope this is not too off subject. Specifically, but not limited to Texas, who says what the vehicle is, A "van", "truck", "commercial"? Does the clerk actually get up and walk out and look at it and then make a determination? Though I doubt it. Do they ask you what it is? I figure if I say M35A2 they are not going to know what I'm talking about and just look at the weight and determine it's commercial. I don't have a CDL and am not going to use it for commercial use but I figure if the DMV clerk makes up her/his mind it is commercial I'll just have to live with it and pay the exorbant registration amount.

Your questions is right on subject, and I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone has an answer for this.

I'm going put my 2cents in, on what little I have read and heard so far. I believe under a "regular" insurance policy, and not a "collector" policy, a deuce will be classified by most insurance agencies as commercial. However, since its weight is only 13500 lbs, is less than 26000 lbs classification, a CDL shouldn't be required, at least in most states as far as I know. Further more, I have read that even though it may be classified as a "commercial" vehicle because of its 13500 lbs weight, depending on the insurance agency, you may be able to specify that it is for personal use only.

Just my 2cents, can anyone else add/clarify on this subject?

Thanks for the Post!

I have commercial on my deuce and 5 ton for the weight .I used to have Allstate and then they put a 10,000 pound limit on them . so I had to change .I would talk to the company because you are right . 10,000 pounds may be a new limit they go by . years ago I never remember seeing a weight limit on any of my insurance policies

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am wondering what ins. in Michigan, which is a no fault state will be. The state is in bed with the Ins. companies big time here. I pay $1200. per year for 96 dodge van with only liability.

Kgood

I also have commercial insurance, i had to send a pic and weight etc because the insurance company had to create a policy because one didn't exist. We pay 40 a month for insurance.

barefootin

just curious, what do you all register your Deuces as when you register them with the DMV? Does what you register it as have any impact on insurance prices? I know that some deuces are registered as flat bed trucks.
Mine is registered as a class 8 truck (pickup). Insurance is well aware of GVWR and the fact it has 3 axles. I was not forced into a commercial policy and it is insured as a pleasure vehicle under my standard policy (not antique) so I could use it with out all the restrictions of an antique policy.

Chipster

Does anyone happen to have one with USAA? That's who I have my policy with for my other cars so i'm curious. Of course I could call them but it would be nice to have some background information from others if there are any

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I can finally add my own answer to my OP. :) And it was because of all the people who posted here. I read how many of you were with State Farm. We used to have State Farm back some years ago on a mobile home, but the price just kept going up. Finally canceled. Then as I mentioned in an earlier post above, I got a quote on a motorcycle from State Farm, and they were about 5 times to high. That was about 4 years ago, and I had never been back since.

However after reading how so many of you were able to get a policy on your Deuce through State Farm, I decided to give them anther shot. I also looked up their office locator and found that there were 3 offices in my town! :shock: Anyway, I tried a different office this time, and they gave me an agreeable price.
And just in time! I have to go pick up my deuce in the morning :) :driver:

1. 1996 M35A3
2. Liability
3. Standard Policy - Listed as Commercial for personal use because of vehicle weight
$27 per month
5. State Farm
6. Indiana
7. No Discounts - We do not currently have any other policies with State Farm. In fact this is the first time we have used State Farm for anything since 2005

Thanks Everyone! Hope other members finds this thread useful for finding insurance in your area!

Last edited:

barefootin

Awesome!!!! I've had State Farm Insurance for 23 years and although not cheap, I've never gone through the hassels I watch family and friends go through when the need presents itself to utilize my policies..... In part this may be due to having a great agent as well. Have a safe adventure!!!!

Well, so far I have either gotten "We don't insure that type of vehicle" or "...We can insure it, but only for use in parades or meets..." or they took all the info and just haven't gotten back to me, but maybe I'll here from those couple tomorrow.

I noticed that there seems to be a lot state farm policy holders here. I know price will vary from state to state, even town to town, and of course different branches, for different types of vehicles. But the last time I went to state farm was a few years ago for a restored 76' Honda CB750 motorcycle, and they wanted $145 a month to insure it. I went to an All State brach down the street, and got it insured for $23 a month full coverage. After that, we went back and saved some $$$ at All State for the cars as well, with a better policy too. So to say the least, I haven't been back to state farm since then as I thought if they were that much higher on a motorcycle, then they are probably high on other vehicles.

However, with what I'm seeing posted here, I think I'll give them another chance with the Deuce. Who knows, they might turn out to be the better priced company this time... Or at least the company that will actually cover the Deuce :shock:
Will post when the results come in...

I am trying to get insurance on my newly purchased bobbed M35A2 and State farm wanted $135/month for full coverage. NO Thanks!!! I am still looking and am glad this thread was started because now I have some great leads!:D

Haven't picked up the 1975 M35A2 yet but checked with my insurance agent, she located American Collectors Insurance and was quoted about $80 a year. They have a website and you can get a qoute online. Insurance for Collector Cars and Collectibles | American Collectors Insurance
I almost got insurance with them for $145/year but they had a garaging requirement that I didn't meet. I called to explain that the vehicle wouldn't fit in most garages and that it didn't need garaging since it was an old military vehicle. The agent replied that he understood but the garaging requirement was part of the policy and he couldn't change it. Good luck.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to get insurance on my newly purchased bobbed M35A2 and State farm wanted $135/month for full coverage. NO Thanks!!! I am still looking and am glad this thread was started because now I have some great leads!:D
Yeah you really have to shop around, you never know what you may come across. As far as State Farm, if I were you I would try a different state farm agency. I have three different state farms in my town, and this time I tried one I hadn't been too before. And they said they could cover the truck, and it divided down to around $27 per month. Of course that was just liability, as that was all I wanted. But that was 100/300/100 and several other items and such. It was a commercial policy because of vehicle weight, but for personal use, with no restrictions. Restrictions is also something you have to watch for, some companies will try to really limit you with them.

In any case, just shop around, You'll find one at a reasonable price.

rebelqwes87

I just got a quote through Progressive for $128 for 6 months on my recently aquired bobber.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a quote through Progressive for $128 for 6 months on my recently aquired bobber.
See, I couldn't even get a quote through progressive nor geico. Geico even tried to pass me off to some other local insurance agency, and they wanted $100+ per month. But then I ended up getting it through state farm for $27 per month.

But thats just how it goes I guess. You just have to shop around.
At least this thread gives everyone some ideas, maybe some company you hadn't though of checking with before. Plus it also gives you something to compare to, that way you know what your approx monthly rate SHOULD be, regardless of company.

Last edited:

rebelqwes87

See, I couldn't even get a quote through progressive nor geico. Geico even tried to pass me off to some other local insurance agency, and they wanted $100+ per month. But then I ended up getting it through state farm for $27 per month.

But thats just how it goes I guess. You just have to shop around.
At least this thread gives everyone some ideas, maybe some company you hadn't though of checking with before. Plus it also gives you something to compare to, that way you know what your approx monthly rate SHOULD be, regardless of company.
I went through my agent that sells for multiple companys, the company that my other vehicles are insured through wouldn't touch it. My agent basically shopped around for me and got the best price they could find. I think it really depends on who types what in the computer.

leroygreen

Progressive and geico also would not even give me a quote. I also went throgh state farm and pay only $33 per month. Searching this site when I got my truck gave me lots of leads. It must be an Indiana thing with progressive and gieco.

Kaiserjeeps

My old State Farm agent had a GPW. He set me up with a policy for about 9 bucks a month full coverage. It is special use (under 10K a year) and have no issues driving when ever I want and still coming in under. I see how lucky I am now after reading a bit.

State Farm has checked me once for milage accumulated. On my CJ. I had just ebayed a new speedometer in place and explained that with pictures.
I'll have to take another in a couple weeks.:mrgreen:

F18hornetM

I think I'm the luckiest..I have state farm. 30+ years. My M35A2 is $35 for 6 months, liability. And I called today on the M813 I won at GL and its the same. Now there are limitaions. Can't use for commercial work, to and from special events, parades, car shows etc, and "incidental" use. I dont need to drive it to work each day, so the policy is perfect for me. Probably having 13 policies with them may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks