• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BioDiesel

gt1009

Hey,
anyone know if you can use full biodiesel in the M1009? If not, can you use B5 or B20?
Also, does anyone know how to secure some in Northern Illinois, or if you can get a kit to make your own fuel?
Thanks,
Greg

'84 M1009

SuperchargedRS

Yea bio & veggie works great (also great if you live in a colder climate where running a dual tank WVO system kinda sucks). I have some docs on it that I got off a HMMWV site, search Google and you could probably find em' but you can build your own bio getup for under 500 bucks.

-SuperchargedRS

*it never ceases to surprise me that people buy diesels and don’t even really put any thought into running veggie or bio, heck that is one of the main reasons I have one, lol because it's sure not for the snappy get up or high rpm range lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search function. You will find out more about bio than you can digest in the next 10 weeks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prepared a batch of biodiesel today. First one since before the cross country trip as a matter of fact.
Neighbor, Sharon, stopped over with methanol and lye, so it was a given. Need to start stocking up for next year's trips. :)

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've ran a lot of commerical made bio through my 6.2's with out any trouble. I've been told that b100 will gel at 35 deg. But it rarely gets that cold here so i don't know. They told me to add at least 20% diesel to it to counter act this. You may need more up there?

rjinga

Hey,
anyone know if you can use full biodiesel in the M1009? If not, can you use B5 or B20?'84 M1009
I just put $30.00 of B20 in my M1009 yesterday; so far so good. The B20 was a minimum of $.20 cheaper that regular diesel. The B100 is $.40 cheaper. I'd like to run B100 for the cost savings and the whole "saving the planet while smelling like french fries" thing.

hedgehog69

I've ran a lot of commerical made bio through my 6.2's with out any trouble. I've been told that b100 will gel at 35 deg. But it rarely gets that cold here so i don't know. They told me to add at least 20% diesel to it to counter act this. You may need more up there?
Gel point is dependent upon the oil used. I have ran soy-based homebrew down to 27 degrees...but I know I was pushing my luck. Peanut oil...not good for cool weather. Palm oil...like lard at 85 degrees. Fuel made from animal fats is not good for cool weather use either.

CANOLA ....Aysoyia... !! I think these are the best for winter fuel. I have pumped these oils way below freezing.

Gel point of the fuel stock is directly related to the gel point of the finished fuel.

Last edited:

hedgehog69

Also...a concern for those with older diesel engines. Biodiesel will 'eat' away at the rubber parts it comes in contact with. I think that since 1996, manufacturers have been using VITON rubber, which is biodiesel friendly.

rjinga

I'd like to run B100 for the cost savings and the whole "saving the planet while smelling like french fries" thing.
I made the jump to B100 today; I've got about 3/4 of a tank in her right now. I'm going to watch my fuel lines, change my fuel filter, and keep everyone posted.

The B100 was $0.27 cheaper per gallon than the cheapest regular diesel (10 miles away). Oh, and it smells like BBQ chicken to me. rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks