• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Trucks of Iraq

big block 88

These are Rhinos. Armored buses they use in Iraq.

That looks to be USMI-Centrals rhino/heavy haul yard...

My DOS haulers were named STINKY I and STINKY II stinky one was destroyed by IDF while in the stage area, and STINKY II was rolled by a small explosion which in turn sent me home. I don't have any good pics of them but they had the rear seats removed with side faceing jump seat for the side gunners and one rear facing jump seat for the rear gunner. The senator/or senator pee on's would sit where they wanted.

All I can say is what you don't want to happen is have your A/C fail in any retro rattled truck it gets hot in a hurry and the windows won't roll down and DOS people desk jockey's can complain with the best of them.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Love all the pictures. Many thanks to all you guys that served or are still serving.

Questions:

Did you guys paint or mark unit logo's or anything on your rigs.
I'm still trying to come up with some kind of marking for my truck.
It's not a pure bread but it looks like a 1046 with a few augmentations.

Also how come that ma deuce isn't loaded in the last picture or was that a common
practice when " going out or coming in. "
Sorry unless it was some regulation you guy's were bound too I'd have that thing loaded at least to the point of just having to charge it.

BH

rorybellows

ours had the usual unit/batt. id markings. my usual rigs (yes i had two) had our platoon markings. a also put a petersons 4wd sticker on my 1114 and as a shout out to the 2nd AD, i made a "**** on wheels" logo 'cause i was 2nd platoon. i dont have a pic of it: wish ida takin a picture of that. it was cool. sometimes old guys like 1sg's or a sgm or a colenal (sp) would come up and talk aboot the old units in the 2nd AD they were in. i thought id be gettin an asschewing, but they all seemed to like it.

Corprin

Weapons had to be "green" no rounds in chamber/magazine or belt out of weapon when on the FOB. When you came into the FOB you cleared, when you left you locked/loaded "red". If he was entering or exiting a FOB, he would have had his weapon cleared.

Then again, that is how it was when I was there, things may have changed now. Although the lack of armor surrounding him in the pic, leads me to believe he was there prior to '06ish... but that is just a guess without seeing the rest of the truck.

As for bumper numbers, I was typing something up, and when looking for examples, I found this...

U.S. MILITARY VEHICLES: MARKINGS

Typically MP units number their trucks by platoon/team. As an example, the trucks in my company were numbered as follows

571-##
571 = 571st MP Co
6 = reserved for unit commanders
7 = reserved for 1SG, CSM, etc
10 = 1st PLT Leader
11-13 = 1st PLT 1st SQD
14-16 = 1st PLT 2nd SQD
17-19 = 1st PLT 3rd SQD
20-29 = 2nd PLT (same format)
30-39 = 3rd PLT (same format)
40-49 = 4th PLT (same format)
50-59 = Mechanics
80-99 = coms, medics, various other rolling stock

Trailers used the same bumper numbers as the primary mover, but added a T to the end. 571-34T (3rd PLT, 2nd SQD, trailer towed by truck #34).

Bumper numbers, vehicle specific markings (no step, TP##, etc) and some specific identifiers (Military Police, OC, etc) are allowed by Army regulation to be painted on a vehicle.

As for other markings, that was done by the soldiers themselves, sometimes by unit SOP. I had "Desert Rat Too" on the back of the plywood RV pictured above with "Insert Quain Here" as the gunner's name was Quain on the side. Often the driver's name and TC's name will be stenciled on the windshields, and sometimes the trucks name across the top of the windshield.

rorybellows

yes to all that, pretty much. i was 'round from late '04-early '06. 5-tons had the big ol' steel boxes in back. pushed north with the welded on "hillbilly" armor and sand bags on the floor. later we got the "mega man", as i called them, uparmored cabs. and then, they decided to take the boxes out and they rode like a buckboard. turrets on the top, no protection, except from the cab. we also had some 1114's, pretty well armored, and pretty heavy. they had just the pintle mounted plate and the surrounding turret armor. none of that stuff you see today. woulda been nice tho.

looking at that picture, i think i was going to the fuel point at taji, getting ready to go to anaconda. that wall looks awefully familiar. n.e. corner of the fuel depot. we also ran to it aboot three times a week, at least

in fact, ive actually seen some of our trucks in country on this site. some at balad getting uparmored and some at our motorpool. weird

Last edited:
McCormicks Zebra from the 518th---------Driver
Hey, I know that truck. A buddy of mine I worked with had a picture of it from several years ago...

Corprin, it is still the same way, you come in the outter gate, break off from the convoy, clear your weapons and go to wherever your designated rendezvous point is...

Here are some pics I have taken of marked up trucks...I have missed hundreds of other cause of not having my camera with me...Oh and I threw in a couple patches as well...

SMOKEWAGON66

still no luck on my hard drive but i found a couple of pics from Iraq in 06.

First one is me (the big guy) and my buddy's Jim, Lief, and John in front a UH-60 Blackhawk on the airfield at Camp Beuring in NW Kuwait....it used to be called Udairi or something in 04. 2nd pic is me and Mikey cruising somewhere over Kuwait in the Blackhawk. 3rd one is me and my turret on top of an M1114 HMMWV. Last one is the turret looking down at it.

Attachments

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

04 pics... the HMMWV is a 998 pickup...the only armor for the gunner was 1" ceramic blast plats down the sides like side stakes...standing up and firing left you totally exposed....

..oh and the SAW's on the roof were not mounted nor did they stay there...just there for pics lol...although had they been mounted, that would have been awesome.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vintage iron

I want to thank everyone for their posts and pictures. I am a Marine and I would like to build a Marine gun truck. As a Marine I can say that we are the red headed step kids of the military and we always get the left overs, but we kick ass with what we got.

I am working with General Mcgregor to come up with a concept picture of what i will be building. I am a heavy truck mechanic and a welder, so I will talk to my suppliers about donating Materials to the build. I hope to have it ready for Memorial Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks