• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Trucks of Iraq

Driver523

Here's another truck that just couldn't quite fill the bill, its a FMTV Which some like but from what I gather most don't--anyway--it was called the pimp mobile, but all the stuff on it made it just too heavy to get down the road, unlike our older trucks that were rated 5 tons off road and maybe 10 tons on road these Stuart-Stevenson trucks (LMTV & FMTV) are 2 1/2 and 5 tons period------------Driver

Attachments

Old63B20

When I was doing the consulting thing with Livermore in designing a gun box I was also tasked with giving them away, so I got to mail quite a few of the units in Iraq and also recieved a few CDs of the gun trucks they were using at the time, I'll start to post some of these trucks for you all, this first one is an early attempt, it took about 6 months to get it to this point so the commander scraped the project----enjoy-----------Driver
Looks awesome with the M113 body mounted on that truck frame, but....M113's are aluminum bodies, which is no replacement for heavy armor.

madsam

I like the m113 on the 5ton too. It should not have taken 6 months though. It seems you could build something like that out of steel.

Driver523

Here's one of our Livermore boxes on a LMTV, it belongs (belonged?) to a engineer outfit outta Bagdad---The sister truck to this one was hit with small arms and a IED but no one was hurt----I have photos of our boxes that were hit and the photos cleared by the House Armed Seveses Committee but not sure if I can post them in accordence with the rules of SS-----Here's to our troops----------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

I should also add that this box was built at Letterkenny Army Depot from some striker steel, so not really being built by Livermore it is of our design, Letterkenny built some of our boxes more as troop carryers then gun boxes, the difference being single walled rather then double walled, At times when you see this box with the saw tooth design it is the Letterkenny box, made as such for a place for troops to rest their weapons.

Driver523

Here's a couple trucks from the 1073rd outta Greenville Michigan--they were in Anaconda--The two shot is the Ace of Spades and Iron Horse with gun crews---The single is the Ace of Spades--the 50 on the windshiel didn't last long, it was just to heavy and shook to much---------------------------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Here's another Livermore box--just configured a little different---With the panels the way they are you can build the box as big or about as small as you want, I think this box was built as a single walled box--------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

These pictures come from the album of Richard Killblane, Rich is the U S Army transportation Corps historian, he will soon be going back to the sand box on his 5th trip---hope you all enjoy his photos--------Driver

Attachments

ecupirate

It's amazing to see how far we've come and the way the military has adapted to the current conflicts. If the war in Iraq has done one thing it has forced the military to look at its vehicles and their uses. I think it has done wonders for our capabilities and protection. Sadly it has been at the cost of many...I look at these pictures and see how we have evolved over the past six years, its pretty amazing but on the other hand sad to know that had we come into this conflict with the vehicles we have now things may have turned out different for many of the brothers in arms. And this is in no way a political rant or placing blame its just how wars and conflicts are, as a military we have always had to adapt and improve our technology to counter the threat.

I haven't seen any of these 5-ton or FMTV gun type trucks over here this year, not to say they don't still exist but I just haven't seen any. If anybody knows if they are still in use it would be cool to know??? However with the current command climate and emphasis on vehicle safety I doubt they allow anything open backed like that to operate outside of the confines of a base anymore. Rollover prevention and seatbelts are high up on the list of importance now.

I do know that the up armored LMTV and FMTV are still operating daily but I haven't seen any with anything more than a m240 on them, however I am in the city and we don't see to many convoys other than our supply convoy to our little area. Most of them are utilized as tractors to pull fuel or flatbeds and some are used in the normal cargo configuration.

However I guess the ultimate evolution of the gun truck has been the MRAP. Although they aren't quite as heavily armed. That may even disqualify them as being gun trucks but they have taken their place in convoy security. I know there are a lot of FMTV detractors out there but I will speak up for one thing and that is the chassis and engine. BAE based the Caiman MRAP on the FMTV chassis and the Caiman is one bad a** truck. I have driven one for the past eight months and it drives and handles excellent, has considerable power and is comfortable for crew and passengers and is one of the safest armored vehicles in the US inventory. I wish it had more than one weapon station. That would be my only improvement. I can only speak for the conventional force, because I am sure our unconventional counterparts are still using highly modified 1151's. As a matter of fact I will try and track down a picture my buddy sent me of a 1151 he modified with the GAU-12 and a 240.

The first three pictures are the BAE Caiman "the first one is a slightly modified"
The last picture is the Maxpro which is manufactured by International.

If you guys have any questions about the current vehicles being used I will be happy to answer them. I am really enjoying the forums so far, it's great to be apart of people who like military vehicles like I do.:-D

Attachments

Driver523

Thanks for the photos and I agree that we have come along ways, but the sad thing is that if and when this conflict is over and we have a few years without much going on, the budget cuts will come, and I'll bet one of the first things cut will be the MRAPs, and if the time comes that we need to jump into something real quick we will again have to retool and begin production IF anyone with the powers to be remembers just what it is we need----We didn't go into Iraq with any gun trucks--it was only when someone remembered something from the past---------------Driver

tamangel

Dragon Wagon gun truck, Iraq

how about this rig:

http://mmuoriginal.s3.amazonaws.com/9fac30e0b8f3cee27d66e814233af37d.jpg

labeled as: "1st Marine Division PLS Platform Truck, (Dragon Wagon) with ISO container used to provide protection to forces while still maintaining maximum geometry of fire for two .50cal M2HB machine guns, Al Anbar Province, Irag, during Operation IRAG FREEDOM, 28 May 2004 "

from this site recently listed on another thread: (used search tern: fire truck )

Photos and Videos: Military Trucks, Jeeps, and Armored Vehicles

mike

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks for the photos and I agree that we have come along ways, but the sad thing is that if and when this conflict is over and we have a few years without much going on, the budget cuts will come, and I'll bet one of the first things cut will be the MRAPs, and if the time comes that we need to jump into something real quick we will again have to retool and begin production IF anyone with the powers to be remembers just what it is we need----We didn't go into Iraq with any gun trucks--it was only when someone remembered something from the past---------------Driver
Sad but true Driver... but as you and the folks before and after you did...they will adapt and modify and perform as they always have.

Seems like equipment for our fighting forces is provided by the lowest bidder in most cases...but our fighting forces adapt them to a usable platform as needed on the ground.

That gives the next lowest bidder a place to start...

rorybellows

hey driver, thanks for the pics. oh the memories.

we were a 5 ton company, 923's and such. rolled outta kuwait with the steel door "uparmor". amazingly, nothing happened for the month or so that we did missions like that. then, we aquired some steel boxes for the beds. made me feel a little better being back there. aboot april, we got 1114's. i put the old 2nd armored "**** on wheels" mark on my trucks that i usually gunned on...

good times

slash79

im surprised noone had given a mention to the MTVR, MATV and Force Protection Familys. These vehicles are the best that money can buy IMHO. there isnt nothing quite as badass as the straight piped C7 or turbo whine of a C12

Corprin

When my finals are done I will post some pics of my gun-truck for the move from Doha to Baghdad. M998 with some plywood and rubber mats, flack-jackets stuffed in the doors, sand bags in the floor... that was a LONG drive.

As for the ASV's....

We started fielding the M1117's in '00 and had major problems with them. They are similar to the V-100, but it is more than just an upgraded unit. Like any good GM product the transmissions are crap, and require too much down time for simple repairs. We had one snap it's steering linkage in a small ditch while training in Kuwait... 7mo later we found it stuck in a big field off BIAP with the still broken steering. It required a full disassembly of the front end of the vehicle to replace the unit. The armor is designed for up to 7.62 AP, and 12.75 ball... but it doesn't defend very well. One of the Arty units working as MP's in my BN during OIF II was hit by an IED/anti-armor claymore. Sadly all three crew-men, guys I knew well, were all killed in the blast. The 1/2" ball bearings went in once side and out the other, if not they just ricocheted around the inside... it was an ugly scene. The biggest problem with the vehicle is the HUGE blind spot behind. You can walk right up on the butt of the things, toss a satchel charge on the back, and run away... ask me how I know. Too bad the Army didn't learn with the V100's and mount some form of weapon/gunner facing the rear on that thing.

When we were still doing the initial fielding we discovered the vehicles nasty problem... During a downhill run with a very shallow turn, the front knuckle on the outside of the curve detached from the vehicle (broken mounts and bolts) causing the ASV to cart-wheel. A girl in my platoon was buckled into the "jump seat", during the roll-over the side doors were torn from the vehicle, her seat was broken from its mounts and she was ejected. The vehicle rolled over her, still sitting in the seat. Thankfully it was in Yakima, and the ground was soft enough to give and only put her in the hospital for a few weeks. The gunner of that vehicle was standing out of the turret, unable to drop into the truck during the roll was crushed between the turret and the ground. He spent months in a comma. About that time we learned the Marines were having similar issues with the ASV, and were debating bringing it into full service... don't think they did.

I think the best way to protect the troops from getting shot up and killed with IED's is to pull them the **** out of that place... all of them. aua

hey driver, thanks for the pics. oh the memories.

we were a 5 ton company, 923's and such. rolled outta kuwait with the steel door "uparmor". amazingly, nothing happened for the month or so that we did missions like that. then, we aquired some steel boxes for the beds. made me feel a little better being back there. aboot april, we got 1114's. i put the old 2nd armored "**** on wheels" mark on my trucks that i usually gunned on...

good times
When were you there? Sounds like the same generation of armor I had.

I was with 571st MP Co out of Camp Muleskinner/Cuervo from Dec '03-Jan '05

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope no rino The SF had some up in LSA Dimond Back H2 also Camp Freedom
had to recover one off ASR Ford EFP IED tore it up.
Stryker Recovery 2004 to 2006 OIF 2,3,4. HETS RULE the lion of IRAQ.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks