• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Trucks of Iraq

Mudstone

9 series 5 ton... ring mount... my "uparmor" was 1/4 inch steel plate with aluminum 3" cubes bolted in every 3 inches then another sheet of steel plate. jam sandbags in everywhere you can... took some beatings in that truck... ultimately we got uhh forcefully removed from the road rolled it and i ended up pinned under my makeshift turret armor... we all lived though...

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doha to Baghdad the good old days
what year you were at Doha I use to Get maint done by 699 DS they were out FT Irwin, Ca NTC. had little coffie shop by re fueling station . we op M1070 & M1000 Het system
605 jarha hwy 80 & 7th ring in Kuwait. OIF 2,3,4,5

Corprin

Doha to Baghdad the good old days
what year you were at Doha I use to Get maint done by 699 DS they were out FT Irwin, Ca NTC. had little coffie shop by re fueling station . we op M1070 & M1000 Het system
605 jarha hwy 80 & 7th ring in Kuwait. OIF 2,3,4,5
I was only there for transition and "training" which was worthless. Arrived early Dec '03 and left 12 days later. Once I got to Baghdad, I was out of Muleskinner. The soft-skinned were all grounded to the FOB, and I traded up to an 1114, then another, and one last one till I headed home.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya the good old days I ended up at las Diamond back thed BIAP doing recovery &
Trans ops missions in theater.
Glad you made it home. Yes soft shell Go to war with you have
not what you want QUOTE D Rumfeld.:beer:

Corprin

Ya the good old days I ended up at las Diamond back thed BIAP doing recovery &
Trans ops missions in theater.
Glad you made it home. Yes soft shell Go to war with you have
not what you want QUOTE D Rumfeld.:beer:
That's because Rummy had never been shot at :roll:

The big hole pictured was my first IED (of 9 as the target vehicle with 3 direct hits), and the one that peppered me up. Thankfully the "glass" driver's door window did it's job, and I dug the chunk of steel out later when the recovery team brought it back. The schrapnel's trajectory would have put it into my left cheek bone. I wasn't too bad, RTD after about 5 days of bandages and a few stitches.

[/hijack]

Attachments

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya Al Asad I was embeded with 23 meu for there there recovery team HET's
& the MARINES used for BAIT /TQ / BIAP.
SPICHER hit land mine under Tampa took out rear axle tires Hyd system out m1000 trailer & first sers bogie's 1&2 & Kalamar It lifted us at least 3to4 ft off the ground. what an ride. On one hurt shaken not stir. :deadhorse: what an time daisy chain Vbeds Ied ELF on on & on our team recover an bus off delware & eod said it was Clear after recovery mission was over brought it lay down yard did intv. & loud yell came from my sfg o Poo run Run It was hit by an live motor round we ran got about 300m away boom.
what an day.

rorybellows

When were you there? Sounds like the same generation of armor I had.

I was with 571st MP Co out of Camp Muleskinner/Cuervo from Dec '03-Jan '05
Dec '04- Dec '05 Out of Taji. we did alot of nightly fuel runs from there to cuervo. our 5 tons also got the "mega man" uparmored cabs. we took the big steel boxes out of the back and they rode like **** from then on out

BLK HMMWV

Modern gun trucks

I haven't seen that many modern day gun trucks with names / artwork , like the old gun trucks of Vietnam. What has changed? Military Doctrin?
Political correctness?

BH/CC

BLK HMMWV

That looks pretty close to mine.
Thanks for the picture JD
Always looking for stuff like that.
I have opted for leaving the passenger side windshield glass in to try to eliminate headaches with the Highway Patrol. I also left it as a full slant back however . I have installed swing arm mounting posts on both sides of the B pillar on the right side and the rear passenger side of the B pillar on the driver side as well as mounting points on both sides of the C pillar. I 'm running half doors made out of cut down X doors skinned with sheet metal as well.

BH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks