• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New LMTV trucks

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey buddy stay safe, looks like Balad no need to say if so or not but are you driving them or doing other. Thanks for serving and may you have a 100% safe tour and return, and a blessed Thanksgiving, I just got back from there a couple of months ago and will go back if they want me to.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
FMTV The Truck close up pictures

Here are a bunch of shots I took here in Korea, I tried to get enough so you all could do a virtual wander around one of them.

The dark shots of the trailer are because I am working my tires off over here and that is when I was able to shoot the picts.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: forgot one more

I know the FMTVs have had their teething problems, but I think they are pretty cool looking. I'd be willing to own one for sure...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: forgot one more

The originals had major drive line issues that caused them to vibrate to the point of the vibration causing loss of control. For the first couple of years we could not drive them over 20 MPH. The manufacturer came up with a redesign and the Army did an MWO on the early ones. The issue I have with them is that any overload is very likely to cause major component failure. We saw this in Iraq with some of the uparmored ones that are pictured in the beginning of this tread.

I am not certain but in the one picture I posted of the spring shackle I think the spring is showing signs of over stress.

The small truck is a bongo made by KIA and other manufactures here. They do the work of our light and medium duty trucks equivant to F250 to F650 in Ford terms. I am collecting a number of photos of the different variants and will post them here in the future. There are a lot of Korean made heavy trucks too here and they are built very well for thier mission. Korea is a great place and if you ever get a chance to come here by all means do. This is my second tour here.

5tonpuller

RE: Trucks

jasher45
Be care full dude and thanks for the pic. I have not seen the armored up ones in what I do but they are
around I'm sure. I hear they are also very top heavy when loaded so inclines are a big thing with them.

halftrack

After borrowing one from the Army and driving it for a few days have have two major problems with the truck.

1. Up close and personal in any head on collision or wreck. Just a sheet of glass between you and whatever you may run into.

2. When driving I didn't have the "cozy" feeling. They seem to be very top heavy when driving and it didn't feel like it was planted on the ground like when I drive a deuce or a 5 ton. It didn't have that "stability" factor.

I know this is all personal perception, however, its still things to consider when driving one.

emr

I have been lucky enough to spend some time on the brandy new ones here in NJ, and driven them too, they are AWESOME!! All MIL trucks have cool spots to stow stuff, FMTV;s have a spot for EVERTHING and CHECK and FILL all fluids in one spot right next to the drivers door!without raising the hood!!then raise the cab by pump lever or electric!!under the cab U can start the motor and turn it off all on a cool little board right at your fingertip, there is a spot even for the cargo cover!not in the bed! never seen that before, u can open just half of the cargo cover on a side either the front or the rear, and u can open just HALF of the drop side WITHOUT TOUCHING the TROOP SEATS over it!! So U can load and unlaod in so many ways so easily its unreal,and the trailers are completely matching too, all the same exact cool things, they are like towing little half trucks behind them, In my eyes there are no trucks as well thought out as these, and those CAT engines are super sweet too!! And as for the Transes, I fully believe the 900 and these trucks only have trouble with driver error, U must stop the truck before shifting any auto, all autos are weaker in reverse, may be lower geared but they are not built to withstand high "R" shifting, they will blow, apart, I cant wait to get one of these new ones!!!Randy

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are decent trucks, until something breaks... Then you need to break out the laptop computer that interfaces with the OBD, and hope that can help you. Ask any mechanic, they HATE these things when they break. I have seen a 5 ton tractor sitting in the same bay at a local NG unit here (with full time mechanics) chasing down electrical gremblins for 3+ months. Last I heard, S&S is sending a rep to help with the diagnosis.. Truck has exactly 210 miles on it, new from the factory..

From an operators stand point, they arent too bad..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks