• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hiab knuckle boom crane

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a trailer that I might use it on, 5x10 still out at 54reo's. It is small but stout. The other option is extending an M200. Not too sure yet. First I want to make sure it runs like he said. If it doesn't, and won't budge on price, no deal.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From some info DH found me, I think its a Hiab 550. The weight and distance(capacities) are the same. This one has the bonus of a hydraulic rotator and a set of pallet forks on it.
The model number is an indication of the lifting capacity one meter from the pedestal on the old HIABs. 550 would be 5.5 metric tons or 12,100 lb at 1 meter or 6050 lb at 2 meters (about 6 ft).
Joel's crane was a 950 (20,900 lb at 1 meter) and my model 765, 16,830 lb one meter out.

jaxsof

Your trailer still has to be heavy enough to counter the moment of torque of the lift.
example, 1000lbs at 10 feel, will need will need 5000 pounds at 2 feet on the other side.
Outriggers are handy for extending the counter force, but when you slew your boom, the effect diminishes. The platform also must be rigid enough to handle the torque of the load.

Dont want to be a wet blanket, but I would hate to see a lot of work go into another Gimpy-Rollover joke

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel another Gimpy project coming...........

I don't think a trailer will work without outriggers. I have a spare truck he can mount it on.

;-)

Speedwoble

The crane is made by Hiab and then the folks at Tiffin loader crane modify them by adding the power unit and the base. Does that one have manual levers, or the remote control?
Hiab sold me the operator and parts manuals for my 070A. Tiffin gave me the color code for the wiring. Have not been able to get much other info from Tiffin.

gimpyrobb

Went and looked at it today. It needs all its hoses replaced, the control levers were mostly broken off, and there is some pitting on the cyl chrome. Over-all, I am quite happy with it, but I am going to try to get him to come down on the price. There is out-riggers on it. It is also on some kind of roller system. Not sure I will keep that feature. Here are a couple more pics for you guys.
I need to get with Bjorn or Joel and see exactly what fittings it uses for the hose. I have some 1/2 hydro hose(it uses 3/8 stock), thanks Mike! I'd also like to see if I can find a TM or owners manual for it.
I wonder if I could consider this a Christmas present for myself.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, I don't know what the price is but plan on spending quite a bit to get it operational. The main thing that concerns me is the pitting on the cyl. rods. The pits will eat the seals up pretty quick.

It looks like they've been pretty rough with it moving it around to break all the levers off. Is the engine free?

gimpyrobb

I wasn't too concerned with the motor, I might have a Yanmar diesel going on it. The pitting is my biggest concern, but it is not as bad as it looks. It is cheap enough that I am still interested.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can get the pits cleaned up, I've filled small scratches and pits with JB weld before and smoothed it back down with some sandpaper. It's not ideal but it will get you by awhile if you get it smooth enough. Also push the valve spools in and out and check for rust there.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to get with Bjorn or Joel and see exactly what fittings it uses for the hose. I have some 1/2 hydro hose(it uses 3/8 stock), thanks Mike! I'd also like to see if I can find a TM or owners manual for it.
I wonder if I could consider this a Christmas present for myself.
The fittings on mine are not standard American...had a heck of a time trying to find a replacement with Leonard's help even, during my trip out in Sacramento.

Get with Cargotec, probably the dealer nearest you, for details. Image below is a typical parts list. These things are made in Sweden to European standards.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

The spool valves moved easily and I saw no bad spots. Yes, more than the price of the wrecker, but not by much.

Thanks Bjorn, its a little too light for me to read though.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Gimpy,
It's important to realize that only the crane is made by Hiab. All the rest, motor, hydraulics were put on by Tiffin. Hiab will help you with the crane part, Tiffin is who you will have to talk to about the rest. This is base on my limited experience with 2 months of crane ownership.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks