• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member w/question

capnkirk13

Hey all! Great site you have here. I just picked up a 1953 M38A1 and have a couple of questions. According to what I have found online, the first gen (pre Nov. '53) M38A1's had certain differences from the second gen such as battery cover, grill hinges, fender seams, etc. and serial number under 62000. The serial number of the Jeep I just got is 69310 which would indicate a second gen M38A1 although everything else points to first gen except the fender seams. I'm wondering if this is a common occurance from the factory or is it more likely that things were swapped later. I just got it this weekend and moved it into the garage last night so I will have more info soon. I've attached a pic that shows some of the contradictions. Thanks in advance.

Notice pre Nov. '53 battery cover but post Nov. '53 fender seams

capnkirk13

I don't know the delivery date as the only tag is the one on the passenger side rear wheel well. Not the original dash.

troy.m38a1

Me too!

Hey CapnKirk, I just bought a 1953 M38A1 - I have to go pick it up this weekend. You and I need to stay in touch re: our restoration progress.

FrankUSMC

RE: Me too!

The jeep cpould have gone through a rebuild and got an early body.
There was a guy here that had stacks of M38A1 bodies and a warehouse of parts. If you wanted a M38A1, you would leave a deposit and return when he contacted you. You would have a new M38A1 jeep built from NOS and used jeep parts. I can not think of his name but he was from Pink Hill, NC. If he is still alive he would be in his late 80s or early 90s now.
One of the few, Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks