• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Late Model USAF M35A2C Registry

2deuce

I was wondering if some were made for other branches of the service, but I always thought they were an airforce exclusive contract. The airforce used their vehicles much less than the other branches and seemed to be in better condition by my experience. Lower miles were put on them. That would have been an interesting detail if the owner gave the miles on the truck when it was acquired in addition to the requested info.
Were there any conclusions drawn or questions solved by this registry?

rustystud

I was wondering if some were made for other branches of the service, but I always thought they were an airforce exclusive contract. The airforce used their vehicles much less than the other branches and seemed to be in better condition by my experience. Lower miles were put on them. That would have been an interesting detail if the owner gave the miles on the truck when it was acquired in addition to the requested info.
Were there any conclusions drawn or questions solved by this registry?
Not that I know of. My last deuce was an 1988 Air-force unit from McCord Air-force base here in Washington State. Picked it up from Fort Lewis/McCord seven years ago.

2deuce

Rusty, do you remember how many miles were on it when you got it? I bought 2 from Ft Lewis about 10 years ago. They had 5 and 8k miles on them when I got them. I still have one. It's been sitting under a tarp for a long time. Long enough that the tarp is falling off it in pieces. I gotta do something with it. I remember the battery blew up when I was bringing it home. Luckily I was just parking it because I had to bail in a hurry... that yellow cloud was nasty in the cab. Every airforce vehicle I bought (and there has been a few)had those Optima batteries in them and they don't take well to sitting.
I always found it interesting that The Deuce started production in 1949 or 50 and the airforce still wanted a new one in 1988. It would be like going to a Chevy dealer and saying I want a new 1950 pickup and that would be because GM was building the same pickup for 35+ years with only an engine upgrade and that was 20+ years old too.

rustystud

Rusty, do you remember how many miles were on it when you got it? I bought 2 from Ft Lewis about 10 years ago. They had 5 and 8k miles on them when I got them. I still have one. It's been sitting under a tarp for a long time. Long enough that the tarp is falling off it in pieces. I gotta do something with it. I remember the battery blew up when I was bringing it home. Luckily I was just parking it because I had to bail in a hurry... that yellow cloud was nasty in the cab. Every airforce vehicle I bought (and there has been a few)had those Optima batteries in them and they don't take well to sitting.
I always found it interesting that The Deuce started production in 1949 or 50 and the airforce still wanted a new one in 1988. It would be like going to a Chevy dealer and saying I want a new 1950 pickup and that would be because GM was building the same pickup for 35+ years with only an engine upgrade and that was 20+ years old too.
Mine had around 26,000 miles on it. I thought it was a great deal ! Only paid $3000.00 for it. Almost no rust, but the soft top was coming apart. Replaced that with a hard top from my 1954 Studebaker REO M35. Had to drill new mounting holes, but it has worked great ever since. Just need a new rear window as my original delaminated.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the completed registry ever uploaded? I wonder if David Doyle would find it useful for his research.

2deuce

Yours Rusty is the most miles I've seen. I've followed a few at auction and none I saw were over 10k. I paid 3200 each for mine, which I thought at the time was at the high end for a non-winch truck. The other thing I learned or thought I knew was that they all had hard tops, and usually a flapper on the exhaust. I have never seen one come from the AF with a soft top, but then again they made 1000 to 3000 and I've seen less than 50 examples. I have had 2 AF CUCV's, still have the M1009 and both were straight, nobody walking on the hood, no dented tops, I feel the AF treated their equipment better. I had paperwork come with mine that listed the miles used per month by each truck and most months they didn't move. The paper work covered about 25 to 30 trucks over a year or so. Every truck had very low mileage on it.

What is David Doyle researching? Is there a book?

rustystud

Yours Rusty is the most miles I've seen. I've followed a few at auction and none I saw were over 10k. I paid 3200 each for mine, which I thought at the time was at the high end for a non-winch truck. The other thing I learned or thought I knew was that they all had hard tops, and usually a flapper on the exhaust. I have never seen one come from the AF with a soft top, but then again they made 1000 to 3000 and I've seen less than 50 examples. I have had 2 AF CUCV's, still have the M1009 and both were straight, nobody walking on the hood, no dented tops, I feel the AF treated their equipment better. I had paperwork come with mine that listed the miles used per month by each truck and most months they didn't move. The paper work covered about 25 to 30 trucks over a year or so. Every truck had very low mileage on it.

What is David Doyle researching? Is there a book?
Mine was one of the three last deuces sold out of Fort Lewis. All where gone after that. So I had assumed they used it up to the last day before listing it. They kept it in great shape though, which I'm thankful for.

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill in Pa. here.
I have a 1987 M35A2C
Has a multi fuel herclues whistler turbo.
Bought it W/O Winch
W/O Power Steering
W/O Quad Cab.
Now has all of the above.maiden voyage.jpgbefore.jpg

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi

Maybe I've missed it, but where do I find a copy of the registry? I would like to see if anyone is in line with mine!

Thanks

Rick

Msw210

Quite a bit of searching has led me here. I'm curious of a registry list or of what the last number may be. I don't have a complete dash plate as someone cut part of it off but my frame number is 1040 11612, which is the latest one many have seen. I was able to find the truck was stationed at Robin's AFB, at best guess released in 2014. I had to write out the frame stamping as it was hard to see against the black paint.IMG_20200507_190644108.jpg

Msw210

Quite a bit of searching has led me here. I'm curious of a registry list or of what the last number may be. I don't have a complete dash plate as someone cut part of it off but my frame number is 1040 11612, which is the latest one many have seen. I was able to find the truck was stationed at Robin's AFB, at best guess released in 2014. I had to write out the frame stamping as it was hard to see against the black paint.View attachment 799114
A few more details
Reg.# 89K0433
Warranty 06-89
52CCS assigned to WRAFB

From what I can tell it's all original. It's the latest serial and registration number that I have seen while trying to get some histoy this thing.

Attachments

Msw210

Here are some more numbers. Some of the unit numbers are out of sequence. I really don't trust GL. :-(

1987, 87K1935, 1040-10517
1987, 87K1674, 1040-10358
1987, 87K2347, 1040-11004
1989, 89K433, 1040-11612
1988, 88K401, 1040-11124
1987, 87K1716, 1040-10442
1987, 87K2268, 1040-10962
1987, 87K1669, 1040-10348
1988, 88K449, 1040-11260
1987, 87K1706, 1040-10422

My truck is in that list, do you have any info on it? It's the K89433

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have former USAF M35 gasser S/N M41015 , Utica-Bend, late-50's.. Has the military-applied 12-volt system (w/blackout) and a USAF 12V conversion manual with it. It was also converted to a M49C but retains it's M35 nomenclature plate. The cab/chassis has the old air force blue underneath the CARC but the tank has OD underneath. I would like to know roughly how rare this truck is, given its mods

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks