• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Totaled Deuce Gets Rebuilt

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dang it! i was actually thinking about that too and didnt think that would be about the same time frame. i dont even trust taking my plastic sled out! ill hit a tree for sure! maybe i could use my old hood from my truck as a sled to pull behind a snowmobile... that sounds like fun. haha! i could groom a nice slope for a plastic sled!

spicergear

Heck...we used to reinforce the front of a large plastic luggage cap and put an arm chair in it. The person on the four wheeler would try to get the 'sled' going fast enough around a turn to cause centrifugal force to topple the person and chair out of the thing! Man...that was living. All you needed was wet grass for that adventure. :mrgreen:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WildChild - A prayer of thanks for your wellbeing.
Care and Caution next time, young weedwacker.

APM - Prayers for your Step-Son and y'all. (PM sent)

Rebuild thought:

You've got the frame and drivetrain I've dreamed about. I'd love to scab a hearse body onto it. (That's what you get when you work at a FUNeral Home.)

Good luck in whatever you decide to pursue with it.
:D

Stan Leschert

Congratulations, you application to work for GL as a forkliftdriver / Demil expert has been approved.
In the future, we would request that you refrain from freelancing on your own personal property,
and restrict your endeavours to items that we task you to render useless.

Seriously, I'm glad that you're OK.

I'm sure that you can find a cheap donor truck with unbent metal and a dead power pack.
It will be a bit of work, but now you can do all of the things that you might have done,
but didn't because they still sort of worked.

Leave the stunt driving to the professionals,
or at least the guys who still drive trucks
that have a lifetime replacement warranty from Uncle!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you are OK. I'd probably, at least for a while, move the radiator off the fan, bang the sharp edges in and replace the window and drive it. Can you imagine the conversation at Home Depot picking up lumber.

APM215

Congratulations, you application to work for GL as a forkliftdriver / Demil expert has been approved.
In the future, we would request that you refrain from freelancing on your own personal property,
and restrict your endeavours to items that we task you to render useless.
Ok that’s funny!!!
One last thing to add: Vehicle may not appear as pictured/ buyer load.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you are OK. I'd probably, at least for a while, move the radiator off the fan, bang the sharp edges in and replace the window and drive it. Can you imagine the conversation at Home Depot picking up lumber.

That would be awesome! leave it all banged up and put something on the bent up door, "IED disposal team" haha! im beginning to look around and see what is out there for parts trucks. I have to research how hard it will be to swap cabs and stuff... the steering column will be the tricky part.. but i know we can make it happen. going to need a radiator. The drive train on the truck worked good but the transmission had worn synchros.... a parts truck might be the key. My dad is talking me into rebuilding it and we can paint everything as we build it.... the wheels are turning in my head. maybe ill start tearing into it this weekend... pics to follow!

APM215

Just a thought, your close enough to the Canadian border that you could run across and buy up the parts from the Bombardier (M35) MLVW’s that are being cut up. Prefair http://www.prefair.ca/products/?s=358 had cut up a bunch of them for the axles when I went there last time they hat parts everywhere and not bad prices. They don’t have the parts on the web sight anymore but it would be worth a phone call. There is a S.S. member WPNS421 that deals with them and he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks APM215.... ill have to check it out... i never saw a deuce bed with a cage like that on the back... must be a canadian thing, aye? :D

m726

A full cab swap shouldn't actually be that hard, just time consuming and remembering where everything goes, but not too bad. Also remember the cab data plate must match the title...

I've heard good things about PREFAIR, but are there any restrictions on bringing parts back across the border into the US? ie. $ limits?

gunboy1656

Thanks APM215.... ill have to check it out... i never saw a deuce bed with a cage like that on the back... must be a canadian thing, aye? :D

Our maintenance truck had a cage similar to that, helps to keep people from stealing tool out of the truck through the sides.

Never seen the boxes at the front like that.

wikallen

This would be the perfect excuse to buy a wrecker, and parts deuce on GL. You "need" the wrecker to swap out the box and cab right?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love a wrecker! an M108 would be soooo handy! it stinks they are so rare.... you can get M816's all day long it seems. instead of finding another box, maybe i can shorten the front part that got wadded up and put a knuckle boom on there... a crane truck copy cat kind of thing but with a shortened deuce bed!:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks