• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Totaled Deuce Gets Rebuilt

APM215

Thanks APM215.... ill have to check it out... i never saw a deuce bed with a cage like that on the back... must be a canadian thing, aye? :D
Parts should be fine to bring across because it is not a whole vehicle. You will have to declare what you paid but that’s about it. And for the record we spell it “Eh” and not “aye” LOL

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well i still dont know what direction i am going with the truck, but i did swap the in-tank fuel pumps with my M109.... the one in my M35A2 was a brand new one from olympic controls and had less than 1000 miles on it and the M109 pump was dead. As you can see in the picture, there are bits and pieces of rocks on the gas tank still. its hard to see and maybe you cant see the dent in the top of the tank from where the cab twisted and hit the top of the tank. the cab is off it now, but when i hit, the whole thing must have twisted quick and dented the tank.

Attachments

Atwater

glad you're ok:shock:

you may want to double check what shape the frame/spring mounts etc are in after all the damaged bits are removed and before you spend a wad of cash on parts2cents

Timberwolf182

ouch

I found a cab and doors on cregslist for $350 that you may be interested in. See Cregslist Chatanooga TN. Good luck; I hate to see a good deuce go down.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i know, i dont want to see the truck go down either, but my M109 needed a fuel pump and i didnt want to put my other brand new pump in it when the new pump in my M35 was just going to sit there for who knows how long. the M109 need shocks too.... ugh... i dont like where this is headded. feel like im stripping down a wounded soldier. on the other hand, im getting some good bonding time with the M109. last night a put in its own seperate fuel tank for the fuel fired heater in the box. so now it wont pull the fuel from the fuel tank because it has some WMO in there and im sure wont be good for the heater. the heater fuel tank has clear kerosene in it.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oh there will be good that comes out of it, not sure how yet, but somehow. like to take the box off the M109, swap the winch and put a cargo box on the back. The M109 has an LDS! :D I would like to put the M109 Box on a trailer frame though. it would be more practical that way than on the truck... for me anyway. just need to find a frame long enough.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was working on my M109 Last night, checking that over and deciding what i need to get to make sure it is ready for the road. I see one front brake hose has a little tumor in it, so i am going to replace all of the hoses. i have to figure out who has new production hoses and where to get them unless somebody wants to chime in where they think is a good place.

Last night I greased the throw out bearing and adjusted the clutch. Also fixed the fuel lines that go in the injection pump. look at the way they were hooked up in the attached picture. the line comming from the tank was going in the spot where the flame heater is supposed to go. thats not right. so i fixed that and am in the process of mounting a seperate tank of 100% diesel for the manifold flame heater only. This will help me in the winter when i still have a blend of WMO in the fuel tank. I need to get a cargo box for it still. even though last nights work did not seem like much, it is still in the direction i want to be in... closer to getting a deuce driveable for next season!

Attachments

L1A1

When I started getting emails about this thread becoming active again I went back and reread the first post. Reading it reminded me of all those stories I either read or heard from the Vets themselves of B17s absorbing major damage and managing to stay aloft long enough to bring their crews home safely. Nothing really to add to this thread, it's just what your experinece reminded me of....

Matt

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom those pics look terrible BUT your still with us which is the most important thing, I do feel your pain a little bit I could not think of something like this happening to my first Deuce, it would truly be heart breaking but and I know this is hard to say BUT it can be fixed, modified or what ever you want, its still a truck. Good luck and I am very glad that only the truck got dinged Tom!
KK

shenkmen

i have to figure out who has new production hoses and where to get them unless somebody wants to chime in where they think is a good place.
Take your old hoses to a local hydraulic hose shop and have them make new ones for you. They make them while you wait. Brand new hoses in a couple minutes. Here's a place by you. I don't know them - Cook Brothers Truck Parts - Location Information

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take your old hoses to a local hydraulic hose shop and have them make new ones for you. They make them while you wait. Brand new hoses in a couple minutes. Here's a place by you. I don't know them - Cook Brothers Truck Parts - Location Information
yea, i know some of the guys in the hose shop too. i guess i should pull the hoses off and take them over to have them made up. are they common fittings on the ends?

I was working on the M109 over the weekend putting the stuff on from my old deuce onto the new one and found i need a new turbo on my M109 with the LDS. i pulled the plug out of the intake to put the boost gauge hose on and saw oil splashing a little in the intake. it always smokes when it is idling and now i know that is likely the cause. when i drove it, it makes good boost still, i hit 12 psi but try not to stay there long because i dont know what my EGTs are. so i would think the turbo is still good, but just need new seals. there is a thread out there where the guy is rebuilding his turbo step by step... maybe there is some guidance there on what to do with mine. anybody here have inputs on what to do there? also my pyrometer does not work anymore... after i hit the rocks, it quit working. none of the wires are broke or cut, im wondering if the thermocouple is bad now because it got jarred. i think i can test it by checking for voltage when the engine is running to see if it is good. when i have the turbo off to fix that, ill drill the manifold and get my pyrometer back up and going.

i have a video of the truck running while it is all smashed up, but it will not load MP4 files. :doh:

Flyingvan911

I also remover that plug and installed a boost gauge. My LDS will rarely make it up to 13 psi. Usually it stops at 12. I plan to install a pyrometer this summer.

Could you upload the video to Youtube then post a link?

mudman

Glad to see you're still a kick'n and a grip'n... Old addage is "If you get bucked off, you get right back on". I would scarpe all parts not usable. Junk iron is $185.00 a ton here. You get the joy of doing it all over again to the same truck, which you know was good, oh by the way how long did it run on it's side? Hope engine is ok. Anyway put her back together again, she will love you for it.!!!! and you will have stories to tell later in life, over barley pop's!!!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it didnt tip on its side, it went one side in the ditch and scrapped up against the rocks. it never let me down yet... hopefully someday i can fix it up again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks