• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction from Owego, NY - M715 project

m726

Well I'm a long time lurker, first time poster here, figured I should finally introduce myself and my project...

I have a 1968 M715 that is a LONG term project. Initially (1999) it got a new clutch and was driveable, but shortly there after I went to graduate school in Alaska, got married and the poor truck has been mothballed since late 2002. Hopefully now that we have our own house/garage and my wife is supportive of my "habit" I'll finally be able to get started this coming summer.

Only picture I could find of my truck was back at my old man's garage (see attached)

Basic plan:
- 12v dodge cummins turbo diesel
- NV4500 or Spicer 3053a 5-speed
- NP205 transfer case
- 2.5 rockwell axles w/detroits and front lockout hubs
- 46-49" (up to 14R20) michelin tires on M35A3 rims
- M35A2 PTO winch/bumper in the front

Only odd catch with my truck is it will have a bobbed utility bed...
I originally thought it was a M726 (utility bed version), but the previous fire company had just hack/welded one in place of the stock bed, couldn't find a stock bed and no one would buy the utility bed at the time so I bobbed it.

I have a bunch of parts I've squirreled away over the years for this project, but will still need alot of M35A2 parts...So in the spring I plan on checking out Kublo's Military Surplus in PA (found it thanks to SS) and see what they have.

Attachments

jeeplvr247

Welcome to the site. If you are looking for a parts vehicle there is a '76 M715 i have seen on craigslist for a while that running for $1000 here in michigan. Seems to be a pretty goos deal. Here is the URL: Military Jeep M715

m726

jeeplvr247 - Thanks for the thought and welcome, at this point I might start looking for a full parts M35A2 truck. Problem is if I get a complete M35A2 I probably won't want to take it apart...

The fire company added A LOT of metal to that M715 in MI...and I thought there was a lot of extra metal on mine.

m726

jeeplvr247 - It the same here in NY, rust is the main battle, I was very happy when I found my truck, only rust was the size of a quarter in the drivers side floor board.

dpms101 - Good to see another NY'er, it seems as though there is quite a few people on SS that are in the NY / PA area...

joshuaz223

welcome from central square. Doghead and i live up here in oswego county. (not together) he is a wealth of info and i have an abundance of tools. i have a spare rear rockwell laying in my back yard i removed from my truck. has one rebuilt wheel cylinder and i have the kit for the other. i would let it go very cheap to help you along. had a 715 when i was in California. beat that thing mercilessly in the desert and never had a problem except injuries to passengers bouncing around the cab.

m726

Good to hear, sounds like there are some people here in NY/PA that will be great resources and help to further the green addiction :beer:

I found my M715 on a farm up near the mouth of the Saint Lawrence, it was a ex-fire brush truck from Chamount, NY.

joshuaz223 - I will keep the spare rear rockwell axle in mind here when I start the quest for parts here in the spring.

I haven't searched yet but of curiosity is there any MV chapters or groups in the NY area?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks