• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new member, new Deuce to me, total noob

caudill1966

HI to all the guys and gals at SS. I have been a long time lurker and finally found a need for a duece! I'm going to North Dakota after the first of the year to work the oilpatch, and figured a duece would be perfect for the weather conditions. I found a M35A2 with metal roof, in what appears to be running condition, for $2800. everything seems to work and all the glass is unbroken. I will be getting rid of the bows, bed sides, and tailgate if anyone is interested. I am loking for any advice you all could give me on things to look out for, common swaps A(like tires), more power, etc. wish me luck, and as soon as i can figure out how to post I'll send some pics. Thanks!

jwaller

there are a lot of things you prob should do to the deuce to make it a little happier out there. There are a lot of old posts to search thru to see what can be done.

congrats and enjoy the hobby.

badga the badger

"finally" found a use? yea you're a noob. glad to have you here.

be sure to ask and find out what needs to be checked and double checked and checked agian to make sure everything is in good, or perferably perfect contition before making the journey from GA to ND(unless you ship it), let alone using it as a solid work truck. i cant really answer that myself, but lots of people here will be glad to help. oh, and watch for rust and kill it ASAP

caudill1966

yeah, they're still looking, i'm a otr driver, but am going up there to haul salt water/frac water to and from the drill sites. may do a little land development while up there. :wink:

caudill1966

"finally" found a use? yea you're a noob. glad to have you here.

LOL, I guess I should have said a more "legitimate" use. I don't plan on using it as a work truck, more of a daily driver to and from work, and as a tow for my fifth wheel trailer. just wanted something to get to and from work in the worst weather conditions. Thanks, and yeah I'm a total noob, but am willing and wanting to learn.

Danger Ranger

[/QUOTE]...and as a tow for my fifth wheel trailer...[/QUOTE]
Just to be clear, did you really mean fifth wheel, or did you mean pintle hitch? If you wanted a fifth wheel hitch, you should get a tractor mv or something. Just wanted to check.:eek:

axlr8

Ditto ^^ and as for the bed sides and all that, if you come up around this area, I may want it...Even though I have no use for it....you guys with money are lucky....

jmoneysmithmas

Hello caudill1966. Danger Ranger posted the link above to the thread I started (thanks). I too am a noob when it comes to MVs, and I'm picking my M109A4 up on Christmas day. I'm quite familiar with oil field work, and extreme cold climate... just no experience with these trucks- yet. That will change next week. For the past 5 months, I've been reading reading reading- mostly here on this site and the Tech Manuals (TM's). There is a LOT of knowledge and experience amongst many of the SS members, and they've helped me out tremendously. The amount of time and research they've saved me is priceless.

I'll be updating my thread with photos and progress as I equip my truck for sub-zero work this winter. I went with a M109 box van... it will double as an emergency shelter (better than canvas), and I can use it as an office for my laptop and survey instrumentation. You may want to consider that too- however, the M109's are a bit harder to find, and it depends on how you intend on using the truck there... your purpose may be very different than mine.

It's always nice to find other SS members up in this part of the country! ...or soon to be here at least. :)

dozer1

...and as a tow for my fifth wheel trailer...[/QUOTE]
Just to be clear, did you really mean fifth wheel, or did you mean pintle hitch? If you wanted a fifth wheel hitch, you should get a tractor mv or something. Just wanted to check.:eek:[/QUOTE]

I don't know for sure, but I am betting he means fifth wheel trailer. He is loosing the tarp and bows, bedsides, and tailgate. Prob wants to pull a fifth wheel travel trailer to the oil fields??? just my guess ....seems the bed would be plents high up, I don't know....Hey OP whats your plans if you dont' mind me asking

caudill1966

Thats what I was planing. Just a rugged tow vehicle that will tow my fifth wheel. Yes the tailgate sides and bows will be available, and probably really cheap.

caudill1966

because this is what I had available, and for what I thought was the right price. running duece m35a2 with steel roof, new batts, rebuilt master cyl, new filters, etc, for $2800. getting a fifth wheel for the trailer and going to put it on the deck of the duece. also wanted to use it for a construction project on the side after getting up to williston nd. having the bed was kind of a bonus to me, so in the end I got what I was looking for, at the price I was comfortable with. besides I couldn't find anything remotely as tough, especially on a per dollar basis. I'm happy with what I purchased, and thats really all thats important.:D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the fifth wheel will be way too high. There's a member in GA who modified one for a gooseneck hitch. He had to do extensive work to lower the ball. Your hitch will be about 2' higher than his.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks