• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone used Harbor Freights 20lb pressurized sandblaster?

jasonjc

RE: Anyone used Harbor Freights 20lb pressurized sandblaster

I have one like it keep the air dry and make shure the sand is dry and does not have any big piecs in it (sift it frist) and have lots of air the more the better and a good hood.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

ditto to what Jason said. I have a similar model and they are very picky about dry air, dry media and the size of the media. Mine will not really run on the avg. "play sand" that a lot of folks run through the cheap siphon feed units. I eventually starting using professional media in mine and blasting on top of a giant piece of plastic. Then I recovered, filtered and sifted the media and re-used it.

When it works, it works a HECK of a lot better than a siphon unit.

Also, good hood is mandatory. Media gets places where you don't want it.

Also, most any sand blaster or media blasting cabinet requires a large volume of air. Pressure is easy to get, volume requires a big (2 stage or better) pump.

I have an Ingersoll Rand 6.5 hp, 60 gallon single stage compressor for now, when I get my shop built, I am going to replace it with an IR T-30, 7.5 hp, 2 stage, 80 gallon unit.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Clinto mentioned using a 2 stage pump for blasting. In all actuality, that is not needed. Two stage pumps just create a higher pressure. When blasting, volume is most important. I have seen many one stage pumps work great. That being said, I have a 2 stage pump that I use when blasting, but it was a matter of cost. CFM is the key, and when it comes down to it, I'd go as bid as possible cause one air tool leads to 100 air tools!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I got a flyer from Harbor Fright yesterday. They have that sand blaster on sale. They also have a big one inch air wrench like the truck stop tire shops use for 100 bucks. If I don't find a better deal I'm going to buy both next week.

ida34

I went ahead and ordered the blaster. $55 shipped. I have a large compressor and will only be using the blaster for spot work. If I was stripping the whole thing I would take it to a pro. I like the idea of using a drop cloth and reusing the media. I will try that for sure.

deuceman51

I also have one of these units that I use. Like they said, you have to make sure the air is very dry because a little moisture in it will cause it to clog up constantly. It does put out more than my siphon unit, but I like my cabinet with vacuum to keep the dust down. When I use my pressure unit, I wear a painting hood, then the actual sandbasting hood that came with the unit, heavy winter gloves to take the sting of sand out, mechanics coveralls, and most important which nobody covered yet, a good respirator. That fine silica dust is one of the worst things to injest into your lungs. The respirator makes it bearable and keeps you safe at the same time. I also have my dad duct tape the gloves to my arms so there is nowhere sand can get into. Believe me that stuff will get into any opening. I kinda look like something out of a science fiction movie to the neighbors and curious passerbys. I only use it for small things like the pitted areas on my rims, because it would take forever to do an entire truck. I mostly use paint stripper and sandpaper on my deuce, but sandblasting is the way to go on rust. Good luck and prepare to make a mess everywhere. By the time your done your driveway will look like a nice vacation beach.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started sandblasting parts of my duece and I also find it time consuming. I started to sand it using an electric sander. Would I be substantially better off using an DA air sander or is my electric vibratory sander going to get the same job done?

rmgill

For blasting media go with something that doesn't have silica in it. I've been using dupont star blast from a local abrasives supplier and it's quite good and very fine. It flows in my siphon feed unit nicely.

ida34

Sand has always been a problem for me. It always gets moist and clogs the pickup. I got some media from Harbor Freight I will check for the content. I will just spot the areas that I can't get with the da sander. I still have yet to get off my butt and find a media source around here. I don't think it will be a problem. I was thinking of using glass to blast.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For heavy steel pieces like bumpers and wheels I found a local supplier for some stuff called Black Beauty. It's made of pulverized slag. It cut paint and rust nicely and left a slightly coarse finish that was great for fresh primer and paint. It is cheap too. Like $2 a bag. I did my M1009 wheels, bumpers, and brush guard with it using a pressure blaster much like the one you just bought.

2deuce

I couldn't find a respirator thats made to protect your lungs from silica. Either it doesn't seal around your face or it passes thru the filter. In any event they all say not to use with silica sand. What is TSC?

OSO

Haven't seen the harbor freight unit .A guy could pick up tow behind compressor they start at 100cfm, up to atleast 800cfm Gsa and desiel powered see a few around for about $300-$800 in used condition. I have used a 350# pressure pot along with 1200cfm , to sand blast equipment I used to paint. Before out to northwest.Had a nice shop to work out of. Could use that now for my M139 .Could use a bit of blasting on it . Any one have luck with water blasting that cleans pretty good also.
Water blasting uses pressure washer with siphon feed of media that mixes with water and strips pretty good. OSO

troy.m38a1

OSO said:
Haven't seen the harbor freight unit .A guy could pick up tow behind compressor they start at 100cfm, up to atleast 800cfm Gsa and desiel powered see a few around for about $300-$800 in used condition. I have used a 350# pressure pot along with 1200cfm , to sand blast equipment I used to paint. Before out to northwest.Had a nice shop to work out of. Could use that now for my M139 .Could use a bit of blasting on it . Any one have luck with water blasting that cleans pretty good also.
Water blasting uses pressure washer with siphon feed of media that mixes with water and strips pretty good. OSO
Where doesd one look for a used gas or diesel 100cfm unit?

ida34

I have got one of those sandblasters also. I have yet to use the pressure pot blaster but I need to do some spot blasting on a cab for the F-350 then I should be able to do the deuce later in the year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks