• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 & gl

Black Helmet

On the hunt for a M1009 (for the right price) luv em and gotta get one. Anyone know of any in Louisiana? Also, does anyone have experience with Gov. Liq? I have read some very bad reviews and They have made me a bit apprehensive. Ideas, opinions, suggestions, help is welcomed and appreciated. And yes I am a noob, so pardon the ignorance.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! You've come to the right place. There are many good experiences with GL, as well as some bad ones. Read the posts and decide for yourself. It is critical that you follow the rules when bidding and your problems will be minimized.

ryan77

Welcome use the search feature, read the tm's, Buying from gl is a crap shoot you can get a good deal or get burned! With the prices recently on gl your almost better of buying private party!!! Lots of good people on here!!!!

Black Helmet

Thanks everyone, Getting anything home isnt a prob, just worried about said crap shoot, gonna ck the private sector before I jump into the GL game.

ryan77

Ive seen really nice ones on craigslist for around $4,000 grand with a title ready to go if its your first i would go that route! At least you can test drive it!!!

joediveguy

Thanks everyone, Getting anything home isnt a prob, just worried about said crap shoot, gonna ck the private sector before I jump into the GL game.

It is a crap shoot either way. I bought a M1009 from a civi owner for $500. He and his professional mechanics chopped up the wiring and put the wrong brake fluid in it, amongst other things. It sat in a field for three or four years and the rust has eaten up the floor pans. So far I have had to replace the starter, GP’s, Batteries, starter relay, wheel cylinders, rear brakes, repaired most of the wiring, both inner and outer rocker panels, both front floor pans, patched many holes in the floor pan, replaced the turn signal switch and the list goes on….68K miles.

My other M1009, I got from GL for $2k. It was the lowest bid up at Meade on an auction that had about 10 to 15 CUCV’s. Did not run, had a bent cross member, bent crank pulley and a broken rear window. I replaced the cross member, window and batteries and she runs like a top, 37K miles.

My M101A2 was a rebuilt unit (10/09) and is basically a new trailer for under $500!

Don’t focus on the best one in the bunch, sometimes it is cheaper in the long run if you set your sights on a “Fixer Upper”. If you have an ounce of mechanical ability, the TM’s can get you through just about anything. I know, they are all Fixer Uppers, but some are more than other’s……….

Good luck!

ryan77

If you buy from any auction have a reserve fund ready for the worst case!! I always count on at least a grand to get it road worthy and thats a light estimate!!!!!

stampy

Good luck! While you can still get a deal on GL, look over everything closely ( go and inspect any you are bidding on if possible) and KNOW what you are looking for. I would take pictures of members running M1009's with you when you go to inspect so you know if anythings missing. Common problems are: Bent driveshaft, missing...starter, alternators, glowplug card, rear window. These parts alone will run you WELL over 1K new even used may run up to 1K. If you do bid then make sure you have 2 or 3 trucks ranked in order of which one you want most and bid accordingly, recently these trucks have become pricy on GL. I bought mine 3 years ago for $1400 put batteries in her and drove her on the trailer...but I was lucky

Black Helmet

Thanks again everyone, being a noob I am amazed at the wealth of info available. If any one hears of m1008 avail in Louisiana give me a shout. As a son/ grandson of military vets I would be proud to roll with pride in one of these or any MV. I guess I will have to be patient.:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks