• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifing a 3-53 for a Gama Goat

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe any aluminum blocked 3-53 is a Gama Goat engine.

Gamagoat1

Should be easy Charlie 6,
It's aluminum,
Model # 5033692,
Engine series # 53MPC,
serial # starts at 03D0081090

The diagram shows a 453 but just place the model numbers I've given you in the proper places,

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I missing something there? I do not see any designator for aluminum or cast iron.

Gamagoat1

There isn't one. As can be seen by the chart it's a industrial engine, the military ordered it as aluminum alloy.

The Detroit custom parts manual shows the block as #5198692 (Alum.)

This is from Catalog 05/02/03 03D0081090 Military

Last edited:

Militoy

I believe any aluminum blocked 3-53 is a Gama Goat engine.
The above is what makes it easy - if a magnet sticks to the block it's not a Goat engine. Not that it would make much difference in the value - the ex-Goat 353s seem to be way more common than the iron ones pulled out of loaders, crushers, boats etc. anyway. Any 353 would be a great swap into a Jeep or Landcruiser or similar vehicle - and they don't seem to hang out on the market for very long when they are listed.

Militoy

Aluminum is worth a lot of money right now. Hmmm.
I'm sure a lot of Goat engine blocks have wound up at the scrappers aua
I've got a spare Gama Goat tractor body that likely weighs in at well over a thousand pounds of aluminum. It looks to my wife like a burning pile for $100 bills - but I wouldn't dream of scrapping it.

scorpion6

There are differences. The exhaust manifolds and intakes are different. The motors have a great deal of difference n the weight. I HAVE 3 OF THEM, AN CAN NOT SEEM TO LOCATE A PRESSURE PLATE FOR EVEN 1. THERE ARE EVEN SOME WITH DIFFERENCES IN WHERE THE BLOWER IS LOCATED.

myJEEPisAfatty

The main differences that can be made visually right away are the two motor mounts that stick off the sides which are GG specific, the flat oil pan, the horrible brick shaped exhaust manifold, and the bell housing has two legs that sick out at the bottom.

In case anyone wants to know the other differences are the thermostat housing, the lower radiator hose outlet/oil cooler, oil pump with twin pickup tubes and of course everything is Aluminum except for the head.

Charlie 6

When I was stationed in Germany from 1986 - 1990 I spent alot of time in Bremen inspecting US Army's Berlin Duty rail cars that were being overhauled by Bremen Wagoner GMB, this company specialized in overhauling all types of rail cars. They also did the CINC's Mobile Command train.

Last edited:

Wayne64SS

There are differences. The exhaust manifolds and intakes are different. The motors have a great deal of difference n the weight. I HAVE 3 OF THEM, AN CAN NOT SEEM TO LOCATE A PRESSURE PLATE FOR EVEN 1. THERE ARE EVEN SOME WITH DIFFERENCES IN WHERE THE BLOWER IS LOCATED.
The flywheel isn't drilled to accept a sae3 12 or 13" clutch? Will a standard SBC clutch work? I know they used sm420s for transmissions, but never really got into the clutch as all my stuff would be truck specific.

wsucougarx

What's the going price for a running T/O Detroit 3-53 w/tranny? I have an opportunity to buy one locally and wondered what they go for. I'm also wondering about weight. From what I've seen they weigh around 1,000 lbs. Just verifying to make sure it'll sit comfortably in the M101A2.

prodro1

The above is what makes it easy - if a magnet sticks to the block it's not a Goat engine. Not that it would make much difference in the value - the ex-Goat 353s seem to be way more common than the iron ones pulled out of loaders, crushers, boats etc. anyway. Any 353 would be a great swap into a Jeep or Landcruiser or similar vehicle - and they don't seem to hang out on the market for very long when they are listed.
Yea. The is one on *bay right now for $4500..I don't see myself spending that much on an engine. I would put a big block in it for cheaper

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the going price for a running T/O Detroit 3-53 w/tranny? I have an opportunity to buy one locally and wondered what they go for. I'm also wondering about weight. From what I've seen they weigh around 1,000 lbs. Just verifying to make sure it'll sit comfortably in the M101A2.
Well I paid $500 for the one I got. Of course I had to make a 2000 mile round trip to pick it up so that doubled the price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks