• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra Specifications

T815-8x8

Thought I'd share some info that is not commonly known:-

Winch
In the US winches are rated by lbs/weight they will pull on 1st layer of cable, Tatra uses force which is not 100% interchange because it's mass/accel ie kg mass x m per second, so you would have to test US winch via EU std, also I found Tatra list force KN on last layer of line which considerably reduces its pulling force, long story short after seeing winch manual where it lists 1st layer line pull and using a basic formula the Tatra winch is basically equivalent to a US 45,000 lbs Braden / Tulsa winch. This is same for 813 & 815.

TP6 model:-
Where as other model 813 / 815 are selectable rear drive / engage front drive, TP models are AWD.
On 815 version only, VT 4 dr 8x8 and TP6's the engine is set back in the chassis enabling a semi flat floor for the drivers area v the normal dog house on all other 2 dr cabs, these engines required a semi remote oil pan + they have an additional stage sector on the oil pump and have a large oil sump capacity. Not only does this improve cab ergo's but improves weight distribution, particular important to the TP prime mover ballast tractor which increased its max GCWR to 120t or 265,000 lbs American v 100T for the 813 version.

duncan

I dont know about winch "numbers", but I know the figures listed are for the first layer, thats correct.

The selectable rear drive / engage front drive is not commonly known because its not true ;) at least the 813's are permanent AWD, maybe with the exception of some of the crazier job-specific versions. Since 815's are too modern (read: expensive) for me :p I dont have much info on those.

T815-8x8

Wrong place for this, I will be uploading manuals pages photos etc,

But to answer your ? Their were several VVN 8x8 ( and poss 6x6 ? ) brought back from Desert Storm later sold to the public, 1 in San Diego area, couple of 8x8 tippers in OR were private import in mid 90's. My TP will be shipped in Feb. + there was a company that were building special Tatra projects for US army prototype projects, don't know what happened to them, they were based in WI.

tatra813

Wrong place for this, I will be uploading manuals pages photos etc,

But to answer your ? Their were several VVN 8x8 ( and poss 6x6 ? ) brought back from Desert Storm later sold to the public, 1 in San Diego area, couple of 8x8 tippers in OR were private import in mid 90's. My TP will be shipped in Feb. + there was a company that were building special Tatra projects for US army prototype projects, don't know what happened to them, they were based in WI.
cool surprised I havent ran into any in the Oregon area. I know of a guy with a 813 in san diego and Ive got 4 813s in Washington/oregon area. would love to see a 815 or really buy one.let me know if you get any more specific info.

Thanks

T815-8x8

The 2 in OR were on a farm and street registered, light blue with grey driveline frame, bought by another farmer, this was around 2003, have not heard about them since then. There must be others ???

tatra813

The 2 in OR were on a farm and street registered, light blue with grey driveline frame, bought by another farmer, this was around 2003, have not heard about them since then. There must be others ???
I doubt it, Ive been in all the hobby clubs in the west coast and nobody has ever mentioned one. Hopefully there is though would love to pick up a 815 also. Just dont want to deal with importing one. Let me know if you can rember any info on the local one besides what you already told.
thanks

noveske

I have an 813 in Southern Oregon. Any idea how many there are in the area besides yours? Just joined this site. Wish I would have known about it sooner. Nice to have a local resource.

T815-8x8

Don't know for sure but I would think 15 - 25 T813's maybe 5 T815's not including the BLM fire fighting trucks badged as ATC , far as I know a defunct company, because had recieved enquirer regarding Spare Parts

EasternStoc

i've never seen a video of the winch is use for self-recovery on a tatra 813/815/816 etc. anyone have footage of it? i also understand the same winch can be fed out the front and the rear, correct?

T815-8x8

No I also have seen any video, used Malcolm Douglas T813 in UK to pull sunken trailer out of mud hole though !!
Yes they will winch from front on mil' models cable guides on RH side, between wheels & frame rail.

duncan

No videos but I have seen it used, and it's in the manual (the front winch thing). The manual states that you do NOT use the winch to the front unless really required, because the cable routing is not completely straight and thus will wear out the cable.

Another fun point: since the winch is driven of the gearbox, when winching through the rear bumper, you disengage the 2nd gearbox to stop the truck from driving forward. However, when winching forward, it is an option to use both winch and wheels to get yourself unstuck.

miaowensheng

Hello sirs,I heard China can manufacture T815 and T813,but am still wondering,Tatra Belong to Czech,how can China manufacture,where are they,i didn`t heard them before,litttle confused,can anybody answer me?

duncan

As far as I know, there are just a lot of Chinese imitation spare parts, many of which are no longer available from the original manufacturer. Possibly they also (re)build old trucks, I think the T148 is still widely used there, but I doubt they make 815's.

T815-8x8

China has stopped T148 parts, they manufacture a whole range of T815 S1 & S2 series, all listed engine parts relate to V10, basically it's all internal driveline, tran's, engine & brake system components. They have a sole EU import distributor in Prague, when round to there office / warehouse back in 2011 picked up a free catalog and xls spreadsheet price list

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks