• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding shop on wheels

Andy1234

Hobart is now owned by Miller (which is owned by another large company).

Anyway, the Miller website has a manual download section that is fairly complete. I couldn't see a model number on the tags, but you may be able to do a search and find a manual and specs on the welder (or something close).

Nice setup, btw!

Andy

hwcurtice

Drool

Picture #4 has the tool box I've been looking for. I'd like one to haul my trailer cover and stuff when I don't need it...

Just saying, if you want to part with it...

Nice looking trailer. So, what are your plans for it?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find out where they made they Hobart and if it is in Troy, OH maybe I could drive up and talk to them. Give me an excuse.

;-)

AMGeneral

I had one of those myself,the closest civilian equivalent is a Hobart 5030D,you should be able to find manuals for it easily enough.

Oddly enough,mine was mounted on a M353 trailer vs a M200.

ichudov

The trailer has air over hydrolic brakes

I hope you previewed the unit
I do not worry too much about the brakes, it is only a 2.5 hour ride and if I keep good enough distance and go slow, I will be just fine. I have done it before. The highway will be very empty.

I did not preview the unit, unfortunately.

i

flyxpl

That was kind of pricey . 7300 pounds , I hope you get the brakes to work for the ride home . Is it basically just a stick welder ? I am suprised to see only 110v for aux power . The m200 trailer has a very high lunette ring hight , should be pulled with a deuce . It will be a lot of weight to pull with a extended hitch . Good luck with the recovery , I hope it runs .

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the size of the machine I was going to guess its at least 400 amps, but I bet its down rated, as with most military stuff - as the tag says 350 amps. It will burn 1/4" all day and not care. Its a nice setup - bottle racks and all, with plenty of tool boxes. There was probably someplace that a vise was mounted.

ichudov

From the size of the machine I was going to guess its at least 400 amps, but I bet its down rated, as with most military stuff - as the tag says 350 amps. It will burn 1/4" all day and not care. Its a nice setup - bottle racks and all, with plenty of tool boxes. There was probably someplace that a vise was mounted.
The military rates everything for performance in rarefied air at 10,000 feet above sea level at 100% duty cycle.

Judging by the horsepower of the Perkins, this is a 500A welder. I will see.

I will report on its recovery and whether it runs.

Last edited:

ichudov

That was kind of pricey . 7300 pounds , I hope you get the brakes to work for the ride home . Is it basically just a stick welder ? I am suprised to see only 110v for aux power . The m200 trailer has a very high lunette ring hight , should be pulled with a deuce . It will be a lot of weight to pull with a extended hitch . Good luck with the recovery , I hope it runs .
I agree that it is pricey, I am taking a gamble with it. I once bought some old L423D Cummins diesels that sat for 15 years, and those had rubber seals inside injection pump that rotted out, had to be rebuilt. Same may apply to this welder. Or maybe it is seized from water.

i

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if it has a compressor or not, but it should have, if if doesn't. That and a pretty good size air storage tank. An arc air is a great tool. Cheap to run, compared to a torch. Youneed them both though. The air arc pulls lots of amps. You can do wonders with them. You have rthe machine to run one though.

Keith_J

Air arc gouging is insanely loud. But removing material like back-gouging the root pass in an all sub-arc welded seam? Nothing better. That machine will do it easily. No way I would abuse my Dynasty 200DX with air-arc gouging.

350 amp SMAW is a beast. I can weld bare handed with GTAW at 50 amperes, 80 amps SMAW will arc burn me in 15 minutes. 350 amps would have me ducking under a shade 11 and full leathers. I'll take my micro-welding even though I have been GTAW welding some 3/16" plate on my MEP-002A self-propelled modification.

ichudov

Well, I brought it home (to my warehouse).

It started after a minute of cranking and a shot of ether.

Seems to run great. I was afraid that the engine rusted and stuck, but no, it seems to work without problems! Full of engine oil and has some diesel fuel also, but likely needs antifreeze, I will put some in tomorrow.

I love the sound of that Perkins and the smell of diesel fuel on the morning...

I will add some welding cable and clamps and will clean it up a bit...

i

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks