• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M151A2

Great looking M151A2. I drove many a tank trail at FT Knox with one in the late 70s early 80s. Pretty chilly ride without the top, and not much better even with it on, but it always got me there. :) The handling was said to be tricky which is why I had to undergo a special block of instruction on driving one before the motor pool would issue my license, but I never thought it was particularly skittish. If it came from the Italian Army I wonder how they got it?

Last edited:
Not sure if they bought some or were lend lease. I bought it from a mate in Germany a quick 15oo mile trip to southern Germany and back.
Just need to change lights to RHD ones and a bit of tidying up the get it registered and tested for the road.
She will make a nice little run about.
Tony

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tony, that is a very nice looking quarter-ton. Good luck with it. They are fairly reliable. The handling issue involves cornering and the independent rear suspension. they will flip fairly easily, but are fine if driven accordingly. The ambulance model was even more prone to flip due to the extra weight out the back.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks very nice. The more I see of those the more I think one is in my future.
Explain about the right hand drive lights. Are they unique to this particular M151? What is different than on a left hand drive vehicle?

B3.3T

Lend Lease ended with WWII and certainly never included the enemy.... Many countries purchased M151s. Jordan, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Israel, Thailand, Philippines, Mexico, Colombia just to name a few.

Nice to have front discs...

Emmett

Your spare tire is the wrong size and mounted in the wrong place......sorry, I just had to:razz:.
The A2 did not have the same trouble with "rolling" as the earlier 151's so it's not a major worry. You can roll anything if you're driving like an idiot.
Not sure what 319 is talking about with the "right hand driving lights????"
Nice looking A2. Would like to see the disc brake set-up...hummmm.

What you guys dont think it will look good with low profiles on? My car has 235/35/18 tyres as standard and a space saver :( so took a tyre with us to Germany just in case as it was a 1500 mile drive.
When I strip it down for paint I will post a couple of pictures of the disc brake set up. Not sure but told it uses Fiat 500 discs and pads along with master.

L1A1

That's a real nice A2 :cool:. I'm an M151A2 owner myself so welcome to the club. I prefer the A2 over the earlier M151 & M151A1, larger tail & marker lights plus the improved rear suspension (trailing -vs A arm). As already posted, if you drive it with common sense, you'll be fine. Don't take a turn in it above 25 MPH. Compared to other MVs, the smooth ride, compact size and (almost:razz:) peppy nature of the vehicle will spoil you.
Matt

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what 319 is talking about with the "right hand driving lights????"

Post #5

"Not sure if they bought some or were lend lease. I bought it from a mate in Germany a quick 15oo mile trip to southern Germany and back.
Just need to change lights to RHD ones and a bit of tidying up the get it registered and tested for the road."

Post #5

"Not sure if they bought some or were lend lease. I bought it from a mate in Germany a quick 15oo mile trip to southern Germany and back.
Just need to change lights to RHD ones and a bit of tidying up the get it registered and tested for the road."
We over here in the UK drive on the proper side of the road:razz: So I will need to put English headlights in. The beam always bends to the side of the road not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

L1A1

We over here in the UK drive on the proper side of the road:razz: So I will need to put English headlights in. The beam always bends to the side of the road not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

I guess for you, the novelty of owning an M151A2 over in the UK will be the reliable electrical components.....:razz:
Matt

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Been reading up on those fancy RHD adapters/shields/whatever. Holy crap, what a hassle! Just drive on the improper side of road like we do!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks