• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy in North Carolina

ReconH3

Hello Everyone,

My name is Al and I'm an MV addict! I was born in the Canary Islands to a Texan father and Italian mother. Moved back to Texas when I was three. At that age I already was addicted to MVs. :D

After my father passed away, my Mom decided to raise us in Europe. Not feeling at home there, I eventually found my way back in the US at 16 by myself. I lived in Connecticut for 5 years, then moved to Southern California when I got a job there. in 99 my Mom got very ill, so I decided to go back to stay with her and try my luck in Europe. Unfortunately the cancer that she had been fighting for 25 years got to her. I stuck around in Europe, but always coming back to the US quite often. During my years in Europe, I got an inside tip from a mechanic friend, about a stash of Willys in a farm outside of Aix en Provence, France. When I got there, I thought I was dreaming! There where more Willys than I could count, and most were still in their transport palettes!!!! :shock: Turns out that a film production company also knew about it, and was planning on scooping them up. I looked for one that would catch my eye. I saw one that was supposed to be assigned to a company of the 82nd airborne that was in that area. Got a trailer for it too! Took two years to restore and replace all the corroded wire and rubber parts.

This was the day I drove out form France. I did 3000 kms to get to south of Spain, to grab the boat to the Canary Islands.

Eventually I married my high school girlfriend. We spent more time in Cali than in Europe. When she got pregnant, we made the choice of moving out of California. I couldn't handle the political situation any more, and I wanted to raise my child in place where people say hello. Texas was my first choice since my roots are there. In the end we decided to move out to North Carolina because it was easier to get back to Europe, and closer to her family too. We've been there for two years, and really love it. We really felt right at home from day one.

I have always loved MVs. I have been on many 4x4 forums and people were constantly talking about Steel Soldiers. It made sense to join this forum, since it's the best source for all MV info. My goals are to eventually get a HMMWV and an M37. I want the HMMWV as my tow rig for my H3. The M37 I want build up with a Cummins 6 cylinder as a general purpose super reliable SHTF vehicle. I think this forum will be the best source for everything I need. Thanks guy for making this great forum.

ReconH3

Thanks. It was I near perfect condition when I found it. I was very lucky. The little I did have to do took so long because of lack of time. I definitely want to find out more background info on the vehicle as well as the unit it was assigned to.

FrankUSMC

Right down the road from you in Newport, NC. Look for Morehead City on the coast, Newport is be side it.
Welcome to the site. There is a site memeber not to far from you that has a M37 sat up with the diesel motor. I will try to get ahold of him so he can show you his M37.
If you make a run to the beach stop in, I have several military vehicles here.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

ReconH3

Right down the road from you in Newport, NC. Look for Morehead City on the coast, Newport is be side it.
Welcome to the site. There is a site memeber not to far from you that has a M37 sat up with the diesel motor. I will try to get ahold of him so he can show you his M37.
If you make a run to the beach stop in, I have several military vehicles here.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Hi Frank. That would be cool to talk to the M37 owner. We definitely want to explore the coast more. Have only visited the Wilmington are when we stopped by on our way down to visit some friends at Lejeune. Will definitely hit you up to see your vehicles. If it was up to me I'd have one of each. :D

ReconH3

I saw about the April event. Unfortunately I leave back for Europe at that time. :( We're closing shop so we can be in NC full time. Sucks I have to miss the event.

ReconH3

It's a shame because the SS event is really the sort of thing I have always wanted to go to. Best part was that it was so close!!! :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks