• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 Project aka Big Betty

TMNT

Yeah, the thread did die off for a while. New job, new house, and life in general had me tied up for much of the last year. I just didn't have the energy for doing much with the truck. Maybe we're getting settled back into a routine where I have time and energy to "soldier on" with things here.

Andy, I am looking forward to it as well, sir.

BnaditCorps

Yeah, the thread did die off for a while. New job, new house, and life in general had me tied up for much of the last year. I just didn't have the energy for doing much with the truck. Maybe we're getting settled back into a routine where I have time and energy to "soldier on" with things here.

Andy, I am looking forward to it as well, sir.

Well that is life, messes with everything and then it corrects itself.

TMNT

Got the tailgate primed and base coat of 383 Green done. The hardware is soaking in a bucket of phosphoric acid. Maybe get it finished up later this week.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443390495.653507.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443386727.761090.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443386739.760152.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443386748.860531.jpg

Last edited:

TMNT

The days and days of rainy wet weather really slowed down the paint work. It's clear and dry again, so we're making a bit of progress now.

I may be committing some kind of sin, but I'm not painting the "proper" 3-color camo pattern. Instead, I'm matching up the patten to the cargo cover. If I like it, I'll keep it that way. If not, it's just sand paper and paint.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444261769.180691.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444261819.985841.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444261879.625504.jpg

TMNT

Well, we put the tailgate back on and finished tweaking the camo pattern. I ordered all new DOT reflectors that should be here in a day or two. The reflective tape is just mocked up for now, but I think I'm going to put it on after the paint cures for a couple of days.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444432496.527086.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444432511.661491.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444432530.566808.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444432085.533510.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444432105.816167.jpg

I like it.

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

Well, we put the tailgate back on and finished tweaking the camo pattern. I ordered all new DOT reflectors that should be here in a day or two. The reflective tape is just mocked up for now, but I think I'm going to put it on after the paint cures for a couple of days.

I like it.
how much did you pay? My dad picked some up for a few bucks at the local Ace Hardware.

TMNT

Betty got a little exercise pulling stumps over at a friend's house. They turned out to be easy pulls, but it was fun just the same.

https://vimeo.com/154676336

The next morning, my son and I pulled the valve covers and set the clearance on all valves. None were terribly off, but I found a couple a bit too loose and a couple of them were too tight. We also pulled all of the injectors and they're getting cleaned and pop tested. None of them looked bad but I'm interested in finding out what pressure they popped at before he changes them. $19 each is a pretty good price. I just hope he does a good job.

TMNT

Getting the fuel injectors tested and set is proving to be more difficult than expected. But, that's being covered in a different post.

I did make progress on cleaning, painting, and other chores related to putting it back together.

I media blasted and acid washed the hardware and valve covers. I very carefully cleaned and prepped the exterior of the injectors being very careful to not damage the nozzles and I kept the threaded ports sealed with foam plugs.

Since I couldn't find engine paint in 383 green, I decided to get fancy and go with black with red injectors. The return lines are yellow. You can't see it until you open the hood and it satisfies my "custom hot rod" needs. If I don't like it, I can always shoot it green again.

I have to make replacement injector line holders, as both the wooden and the rubber blocks were pretty well shot. I figure I can make new wooden blocks pretty easily. I've got a lot of hardwood scrap and the tools.

I might just put the injectors back in "as is" for now. I can always pull them back out when I come up with a good pop testing solution.

I'm debating whether to pull the remaining injector lines to clean them up and paint as well. I have to have it back together and road ready for Zout's April event. Decisions, decisions.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456690448.785673.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456690459.700215.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456690468.402133.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456690478.118668.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456690487.686296.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456690497.753588.jpg

Last edited:

bonedoc

You can get replacement parts kits that gave all the pieces to hold your injector lines from Tnj murray. I bought a set at the Gilbert show this past september, think it was about 40.00 but it has all the brackets, bolts, isolation blocks.
Also, S.S. member Ford Mechanic has a thread about callubrating and resetting injectors. May be worth looking at.

TMNT

very inspirational thread TMNT!

I plan on starting my own as well. I recently acquired a 67 and I plan on restoring it to it's former glory.
Thank you, sir. It has been an adventure. You will not find a more supportive and helpful group of people anywhere, than SteelSoldiers members.

These old trucks will make you sweat, bleed, cuss, and occasionally fling a valuable tool far into the woods (maybe that's just me), but hope you find it as satisfying and enjoyable as I have.

TMNT

The End.

Earlier today I accepted a certified check in exchange for Big Betty, and then watched her roll up the street and out of sight.

My son, now 17 and a senior in high school, was just 10 when we got into MV’s and bought Betty. He learned how to drive her by 11. That experience eventually lead to him driving Kenny’s 5-ton and M38. A lot. He gained the skills to run a Mack R series dump truck for his grandfather. At 15 he was floating gears, hauling and dumping like a pro. Better than a lot of grown men. He grew up with Betty, and with Steel Soldiers.

Betty attended many birthday parties, social events, car shows and rally’s. She was always proud and enjoyed the attention.

I hated to see her go but it was time. Time for my wife and I to move toward a new chapter in our lives as the kids finish growing up and moving on with the next chapter in their lives. Maybe we’ll travel a bit, ride motorcycles a bit, maybe just stay home and take care of our critters.

The new owner seems like a nice guy. Tommy Shepherd up in North Carolina. He’s got a little 5-ton experience but he’s new to deuces. His check bought him a deuce and every deuce related accessory I had, and even some tools. I discovered I couldn’t possibly pass along my 7 years of experience that I gained, in the few short minutes he was here. So y’all watch out for him and give him a hand if he shows up here. I recommended it to him, which may be the most valuable thing I gave him.

I’m going to hang around. I may not have a deuce anymore, but I enjoy the company (of some of you) and we still plan to get to the rally each year. Ha! I’ll be there just like I started, in my green Toyota FJ that earned me my forum name, TMNT.

After we get settled in the new house and I get ready for a new project, I’m kind of itching to build a nice CJ. Maybe I’ll start driving that to the rally.

Thank all of you. It definitely takes a village to care for a deuce and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 AMG

I just finished reading this thread, and I would like to say "Thank You" for sharing the ups and downs of owning a Deuce. The information about why the hubs seems to be constantly leaking is going to be invaluable as I have to do this project on my Deuce, before see can make the trip home.

LonestarFisher

Nice trucks guys! This is what I'm hoping to take the plunge and get in to. I'd like to pick up a 5ton truck with good bones and a good motor and restore it as a project. Just learning about the surplus sites now and collecting info before I make any moves. As the old saying goes, 'a fool and his money soon part ways'. Right now I'm very much the fool when it comes to these trucks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks