• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't drive off Camp Shelby anymore?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just noticed that Camp Shelby will not allow drive-offs anymore as per GL listings. When did that change? Did someone screw things up by taking out the new gate shack?

I've driven 6 trucks off in the past few years (after PMs and with insurance) with no problems. :driver: Now it'll cost me an extra $100 in fuel to use the M818 to tow the next truck home. aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chain towing is not legal in most states.

Maybe they realize they are selling surplus government equipment, and not used trucks. Maybe they realize they are unsafe on the road, without an overhaul or major inspection, repair and maintenance.

I doubt they would stop you if you had a dealer plate.

tamangel

how about flat towing with a tow bar and another deuce..or other rig.. set up lights and all legal requirements for the 2 block tow..

Mike

3dAngus

That's what towbars are for. I don't like it either. It is a change. It's another $200 headache to get someone to tow it off base, and time cost. This works good for the OP, because I'm bowing out of the bidding there. You can take my money, or you can take my time, but you can't take my time and my money. Good luck on your bids. Hope you get my wrecker. :cry:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Melita did that to make it more painful for the scrappers. Now they have to go through extra trouble rather than be able to drive the trucks directly to the scrap yards.

Chief_919

I think Melita did that to make it more painful for the scrappers. Now they have to go through extra trouble rather than be able to drive the trucks directly to the scrap yards.
I would bet that with the volume of trucks being sold, someone eventually had some sort of accident, even if just a minor one.

Then the responding MP's saw that they didn't have a valid registration or tag. And realized everyone driving off post was doing so illegally.

And that is the end of that.

It is for the best for our hobby anyway, even if many didn't like it.

Smokinyoda

I see this stated in the auctions for the 900 series trucks, but not the m1009s. Wonder if they will still let you drive cucv's off since they are smaller and less of a hazard than a big 5 ton truck.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
how about flat towing with a tow bar and another deuce..or other rig.. set up lights and all legal requirements for the 2 block tow..

Mike
That would be ok almost anywhere, however, I would either check first or have another tow option on stand by. Maybe someone who has towed off of Shelby can chime in.

If it were me, I would take the tow bar and go for it. The old do and ask for forgiveness later routine. If they don't allow it, then I would have the number of a tow service in my pocket.

Kasper31

Why could you not take a 10ft. pipe, weld chain on both ends, wrap it around the bumpers/pintal or bolt it together, take two drivers and tow it off base. Just a crazy idea that has worked for me several times. :driver:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fort Gordon is now the same. No driving your purchase off post. They will let you load within their lot, tow with a tow bar, or drive with some sort of temp tag. The reason given to me and another member was that you can't drive an unregistered vehicle on post, so GL will not accept the liability of letting you drive out of their lot in violation of installation policy. I'm guessing most, if not all Army posts have the same policy and GL is making their sites comply.

Funny though, it's not a new rule on Army posts, but GL is just now catching on. I'll bet someone did have an accident and GL caught some heat.

3dAngus

Why could you not take a 10ft. pipe, weld chain on both ends, wrap it around the bumpers/pintal or bolt it together, take two drivers and tow it off base. Just a crazy idea that has worked for me several times. :driver:
You have to be insured on any military installation. No insurance company would insure a concept like that. Even if you insure your deuce, a M105 or any other trailer you pull in most cases is NOT insured. You need an amendment for that.

I guess this is going to be the going trend on most bases/posts in the near future. What you do for one, you have to do for all and be consistant and non-prejudicial when working for the DOD or a DOD contractor. It's the law.

timothy1

No offense to anyone. But if you can spend $4000 on a truck, what's wrong with another $200 for a tow? I mean we spend more money on our trucks with up keep and what not. We don't pay $4000 and that's it. I know its a burden but these trucks are a pay to play type of vehicle.

Yes before I catch heck both of my trucks I had paid to haul them, it hurt but was safer and one was a private sale.

Csm Davis

It has come about from many different cases of people pushing the limit and being overly pushy it still amazes me at the attitude of some who act like the gl personnel owe them full service and unlimited time to get their trucks up and going, or gl must load their trucks. The Govliquidation personnel at the M939 series lot have tried to be ashelpful as they can and have been run over by single buyers to largest corporations. I know of some on here and others that aren't on here that don't think the rules apply to them, and we can thank these people for the changing rules. Please people if you are on here don't try and end round the rules or bully your way around it just makes it harder on everyone, including me. Yes you may tow bar off, but do it safely or you will be shut down, no you can't chain pull off the base, I have shut down one person that I know personally for unsafe towing, made them fix the problems before going any farther. You don't have to hire me or anyone else to get your trucks but you will have to use a normal safe tow or haul method.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to be insured on any military installation. No insurance company would insure a concept like that. Even if you insure your deuce, a M105 or any other trailer you pull in most cases is NOT insured. You need an amendment for that.
Dell's correct. Depending on your policy any trailer you are towing (or anything else for that matter) may not be covered. Gulfway insures the truck, not the trailer on my policy. I had to get additional paperwork with them to get my 105 covered. It was free but it still required an additional step.

Don't do it and something happens someone or something is going to be hurt/killed or damaged and guess who is going to pay.

Straight bar with chains, let us know so we can be in another county.

This moron was towing an off-road buggy with this fustercluck.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/71858-quality-towbar-cincy-not.html

Blind Driver

There's a local DOT officer on 49 at times. might not be a good idea to redneck to it out of there.
if I go down there for a truck, I'm going try to make a deal to tow and get it driving at the truck stop across the street.

by the way, how are you going to drive it off when it's advertised as "not running"?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks