• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New EPA Regulations On Large Truck Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that in the Marine Diesel market, any new engines have to meet new requirements and more new requirments are coming down the road. Old vessels only have to meet new rules if they do a complete constructive rebuild of the ship (not normal overhauls or rebuilds). if you are going to take out your old engines and put in new, they will have to meet new specs. There is some milepost for how much you can modernize your vessel before you trigger the need to put in new spec engines. By and large, we can keep rebuilding our existing engines. One of our ships is 50 years old and we keep rebuilding the old Enterprise diesels. There is legislation afoot to regulate the fuels we burn. I hear that the days of burning "heavy" residual fuels in diesels may be coming to an end.
So, trucks may fall in the same catagory. The individual states can, to some extent, regulate in-state rules more harshly than the Feds. But as far as I know, the inter-state commerce laws require them to allow any vehicle to drive in CA that is legal in the state it is licensed in. I'm sure someone will correct me, if I err!

HanksDeuce

I still think we need to line the entire border of Kalifornia with massive amounts of det cord and set it off. Then take a few tug boats and drag the former state out into the Pacific ocean so they can make their own crappy country with crappy regulations. **** hippies.

cpf240

I still think we need to line the entire border of Kalifornia with massive amounts of det cord and set it off. Then take a few tug boats and drag the former state out into the Pacific ocean so they can make their own crappy country with crappy regulations. **** hippies.
Wait! Wait! I need to get out of the state first!

sierra117

This is why caterpillar got out of making motors for big trucks. I have also heard that trailer mounted refer units and truck mounted APU's need to meet the same emmisions standards.

Srjeeper

Look to California regs. That will be your future.
QUOTE]

Yea, and just look at how much better gas cans are now thanks to their regs. Spill more gas now than I ever did with the old style cans. aua

Plus the fact everytime the Govt. sees the need to protect me from myself, it costs me money I don't have and freedoms I use to have.!! 2cents

:soapbox:

Tanner

I have scoured various news sources & EPA site, but don't see any requirements for changes to civvy diesels... anyone else see any rule changes that would affect older civilian diesel MV's?

Anyone? Bueller?

'Tanner'

SasquatchSanta

I've been Googleing.

Below is a link to an EPA.gov website the spells out what's being "proposed."

The way I read this it only applies to new vehicles.

Although it does say that the EPA’s SmartWay Transport Partnership program (Now that sounds like a happy little organizatioin) has recommendations that could "complement the proposed standards and provide benefits for the existing heavy-duty fleet" it doesn't say anything about existing iron having to comply.

Here is some popcorn if you care to read it: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

EPA and NHTSA Propose First-Ever Program to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Improve Fuel Efficiency of Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles | US EPA

panshark

pardon the volatile question, but is the underlying motive for this new legislation merely a slow, downward slide of freedom due to abuse of bureaucratic powers, or...is there an important new technology out that really can save everyone in fuel costs, and improve the quality of life for all? Are there new components available, the use of which will almost certainly guarantee a 10% increase in fuel mileage? And if so, Trevek, does it work?

Flyingvan911

The gov/military does not follow many laws , curious as to why they bother with the EPA .
I have heard complaints about maintaining the anti pollution systems on some of the newer diesel pickups .
I would think the military could tell the EPA to kiss off. What's the EPA going to do?

You'd think the EPA could make an exeption for the equipment that is used to defend our country. The multifuel is the most common sense power for a military vehicle. Why would you want anything that's more complex and harder to fix (literally) at a moment's notice.

Grandfathering old equpiment makes sense because the big trucking companies replace their trucks when they are a few years old anyway. Independent drivers and smaller companies buy those slightly used trucks. It is the trickle down theory.

The EPA is an agency that grows to give jobs to friends, family and chronies. It has to justify it's size and growth by continually finding a crisis and "fixing" it. No government agency should be able to create it's own rules and regulations. It should have to go through the House, Senate, and President.

I love our country and support the goverment overall but sometimes, and with increasing frequency, it just makes no sense.

F18hornetM

It was the same thing with 2010 changes to emissions. it didn't affect older trucks, that's when Cat exited the market.
We have several trucks, go to reduced power, reduced speed, because of plugged DPF's. These trucks are supposed to re-gen on their own, but when something goofs and it doesnt, it will stop. Would be great flying across the desert in a convoy and oh darn, my truck quit because its cat is plugged..and dont get me started on the military purchasing hybrid vehicles. We have several, IH's that are bucket trucks, what a bunch of junk. Oh cool technology, but not reliable and performance stinks.
we used to be able to make many repairs along side the road, now hardly ever. Almost always has to be towed in now. I bet the cross country truckers are loving these new engines. And guess what? they get worse fuel mileage. Let me think, we want to decrease emissions by burning more fuel??? makes perfect sense to me

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why doesn't the EPA disallow nuclear and other harmful weapons? They are damaging the to the environment, aren't they?

One of the large fleet auctions I attend regularly here in NY has been telling the customers that certain trucks can not be registered or used after a certain date(I think it is 2013). Not sure if they are correct.

dozer1

As far as emission equipment goes on new iron, I agree that military vehicles should be exempt from anything that is'nt extremely reliable. On modern day civy big rigs, its just a fact of life that has to be lived with. I have heard some horror stories and complaints about this stuff. This new emission equipment stands to get better and more reliable as time goes on. Remember the first emission cars? 1973, 1974ish cars were loaded with unreliable egr stuff. It all got much better, and although there isn't alot that a shadetree mechanic can do under the hood anymore, a diagnostic computer plugged into it can tell you alot about it.

zout

Staying under 2010 diesel engine models we have had major fuel line issues with the ultra lower sulphur - rotes them out. 15 parts per million.

As well as 2010 models and up adding an additional $9,000 to $20,000 to the cost of the rising truck cost itself - just in emmission add-ons - DEF fluids - on and on. When nailed down the trucks with the additional costs added to them get no better mileage than the fleet of 2000 yr models we run - at nearly a million miles on the speedo's.

Its not going to get better as each govt office is loosing money to support their nasty habits and will continue to find any way possible to add funds to their dripping habitual money eating lucrative styles.

We have just added more used 2005 through 2007 units to the fleet this week.

dozer1

We have just added more used 2005 through 2007 units to the fleet this week.[/QUOTE]

That's what I would do too as long as you can. Farm equipment also has def to add and all of the other emission trimmings. The 2010 and older stuff has very rapidly climbed in value.

Monkeyboyarmy

If the older trucks are going to be grandfathered in, then I'm going to buy every surplus vehicle that i can buy....Ohh wait. I already am. I just planted a couple of new trees in my yard so I should be exempt for a few more years.

mistaken1

I for one want to personally thank all of the nameless, faceless federal bureaucrats who have dedicated their lives to lining their pockets er uhh saving me from myself and from a myriad of horrors I never even knew existed.

I had the pleasure of working with a low level TSA bureaucrat once, he was the most arrogant person I have ever met in my life (even more arrogant than me if you can believe that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks