• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New EPA Regulations On Large Truck Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
FYI, the new law and or regulations are not retroactive to any pre existing law and or ordinance. Thats common place. They want to insure from the date the law went into effect from then on, the new regs are active.
Think if you READ the CA law it says that after a certain date ALL , not just COMMERCIAL WILL be in compliance, this means older stuff as well

Flyingvan911

Even private diesel vehicles over 14,000 lbs gross vehicle weight will have to be switched. A deuce could be safe depending on the antique vehicle laws and how they are licensed. I could switch to a historic plate here in Missouri. Right now I have a 24k plate. The next steps down are 18k and 12 k. In the case of the law and actual empty A2 weight, neither weighted plate would work.

Autocar

There are a couple of exceptions to the regs. It does not apply to historic vehicles or to low mileage/usage commercial vehicles. If commercial, you have to have a certified hourmeter and hub odometer installed and get it read each year. It has to be under both limits on hours and miles. The only other exception is for specialty built vehicles that can not be realistically repowered.

kastein

At Ease folks! On 12/21/12 the world is going to end, so we don't have to worry about any of this!!:jumpin:
nah. The world won't end till the evening of 1/18/2038 here in the states fat lady sings

January 8th, 2012.

Geez!

To hear you guys tell it, the world's coming to an end. I have NO problem with Uncle making the commercial operators comply with EPA regs., our newer diesel locomotives do it, so what's the problem? And the law does not apply to all those Panamanian, Liberian or Chinese ships hauling in junk for WalMart, and they all burn WMO!
The other vehicles like ours are grandfathered by age. If they want you to change the engine, let Uncle pay you for the conversion. Besides, I am not impressed with the Cat 3116 in the M35A3... If you think Uncle would have wanted the Multifuels, he would have kept making the multifuels, but the Army is NOT set up to operate in a post nuclear environment any more. Just my 2cents worth,

Now, back to the regular OD rant.....:popcorn:
cargo ships actually burn way thicker stuff than WMO. They burn thick residual fuel oil / bunker oil, it's basically asphalt. You can pick the stuff up with a putty knife when it's at room temp. The fuel pumps in the tanks actually heat the fuel so that it can be pumped easier, it's so viscous.

That being said, those engines are some of the only internal combustion engines that break 50% thermal efficiency. I am not sure how clean they are, but they are very efficient. And there are no drivetrain losses at all because the engine turns at ~103rpm and is directly coupled to the propeller - no transmission, no clutch, just a shaft. To reverse, they actually reverse the direction the engine runs by changing the intake and starter cam lobe angles. The engines are started using compressed air pumped into the cylinders because a starter motor would require too much torque and too low a speed to be built efficiently.

littlebob

In our Parish(County for those outside of Louisiana), They got more restrictive on vehicle emissions and require a vehicle emission check for inspection that the surrounding parishes don't have, because some EPA monitoring sites were showing higher emissions in our area. That's how they forced the ethanol on us. It couldn't have been the all the Refineries and chemical plants in the area causing this I'm sure. A lot of employees that work in these plants live in surrounding parishes that don't have the same tests that my vehicles have to pass to be roadworthy. All the hoopla made fuel go up as the Gas Stations had to meet new guidelines to handle the stuff and pass the it on to the consumer. When the winds just right, I can still smell a good benzene leak from one of the plants around here.

bentwrench

I was reading the sacramento bee last week , an article about a giant crane deliverd to the port of sacramento. as you read the article they talk about what a good deal it was that they got this gift to improve their shiping capacaty. it cost $ 5 million dollars and it was imported from germany with this crane and barges they bought they could reduce truck trafic around oakland highway congestion. aka clean air , I this article a trucking rep said that they probley would not be cheeper than trucks ,also port of stockton got 2 more of thease cranes .becuase i like equipment i looked up on internet to read more about this story and found it was bought and paid for buy our preidents stimulas money ,,,,,

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ftw

I have been aquiring military equipment to insure that no matter what happens I have a better chance of being able to survive. Financially or otherwise. As far as regulation and laws, enforcement has always been the issue in my opinion.If you cut off someones hand when they are found guilty of stealing something guess what. Stealing becomes very unpopular.automatically. If you do nothing the activity prospers. At present the regulations that all ready exist are barely being enforced. Most EPA regulations are ineffective for their intended long range purposes. Just as an example. Reducing a cars emissions by 50 per cent would be a huge accomplishment unless you either used the car twice as often or produced twice as many cars. Statistical information is useless and fantasy. The only tangible argument for vehicular emissions reductions is an efficient locomotive rail system for transportation of goods and people or a fuel infrastructure based on hydrogen produced by non fossil fuel resources such as electrolysis by recoverable energy . In my travels I have only personally witnessed one place where I saw a system that came close to being efficient and convenient to use and that was the european rail system. The other crucial part of emissions reduction is personal responsibility of the individual. Creating incentives for people to think is vital. Most people choose not to think. That is where price fixing and taxation of resources comes in. As of now there is no ethics in either of those methods in our country. Taxation and price controls have been used by our government and big business only to line the wrong peoples pockets with money and not to create a proper influence on habits and or policy. Sad Until I see responsible leadership I will continue to pursue control of my own livelyhood ;i.e. military equipment pre 1990. I might add that this everyman for himself attitude is counterproductive to evolution as a race but might insure mans survival as an individual. Hopefully I will see you all after the apocolypse. Hang in there.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think if you READ the CA law it says that after a certain date ALL , not just COMMERCIAL WILL be in compliance, this means older stuff as well
I do not see how that legal, That is illegal to the hilt. Welcome to the united state of California. They can not require this for any pre law vehicle, This is just not right and I am sure you are mistaken but if I am wrong I will suprised.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, we used to do the emissions checks and have to have the cert before the license plate would be issued, when we did this years ago any vehicle 10 years or older did not require an emission check cert...to obtain the plate.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not see how that legal, That is illegal to the hilt. Welcome to the united state of California. They can not require this for any pre law vehicle, This is just not right and I am sure you are mistaken but if I am wrong I will suprised.
I don't know enough about the law to say if it applies to ALL vehicles or not. I will say that they can come after the older vehicles if they want to. Driving a motor vehicle on public roads is a privilege, not a right. The government can take away privileges any time they want to. I may not like it but it's the truth.

elected A--holes

BECAUSE thay can and do, remember the government is ONLY looking out for you
It is actually worse than that.

The gov'ts at all levels exempts themselves from nearly ALL the laws they pass! If "We the people" break those SAME laws "We the people" will first be financially destroyed and if they feel we still object to their self appointed power "We the people" will be put in prison until we "get it"!

Remember "We the people"?? I thought the elected officials worked FOR US... not against us as they seem to enjoy doing... until 100years ago!

There is an election coming to a town near you soon.
Vote those out now!!
When the USA collapses the "Bill of rights" dies with it!!
My friends from the old soviet union are very concerned about the direction the USA is going in. They say it is all too familiar.
e

Last edited by a moderator:
nah. The world won't end till the evening of 1/18/2038 here in the states fat lady sings

cargo ships actually burn way thicker stuff than WMO. They burn thick residual fuel oil / bunker oil, it's basically asphalt. You can pick the stuff up with a putty knife when it's at room temp. The fuel pumps in the tanks actually heat the fuel so that it can be pumped easier, it's so viscous.

That being said, those engines are some of the only internal combustion engines that break 50% thermal efficiency. I am not sure how clean they are, but they are very efficient. And there are no drivetrain losses at all because the engine turns at ~103rpm and is directly coupled to the propeller - no transmission, no clutch, just a shaft. To reverse, they actually reverse the direction the engine runs by changing the intake and starter cam lobe angles. The engines are started using compressed air pumped into the cylinders because a starter motor would require too much torque and too low a speed to be built efficiently.
If I remember correctly, US Navy ships used steam pipes at the bottom of the tanks to get enough heat in fast enough to make Bunker fuel flow fairly well.
A secondary heater in the boiler room brought it up to 350-400 degrees.

I was a Boiler technician. 1977.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
islandguydon;1034563[COLOR=yellow said:
]I do not see how that legal], That is illegal to the hilt. Welcome to the united state of California. They can not require this for any pre law vehicle, This is just not right and I am sure you are mistaken but if I am wrong I will suprised.
BECAUSE those that WROTE the law made it LEGAL, Thay DO NOT CARE about right, just LEGAL, Thay can make what ever thay want LEGAL in the name of "for the GOOD OF THE PEOPLE"

joeinaforest

Oddly enough I don't remember my Representative or either of my Senators asking my opinion on this massive change.....

Could it be the nameless and faceless degenerates who populate Mordor are merely pushing to see how much longer we mere hobbits will take their unconstitutional abuse?

J

trukhead

Thaks for the info, very interesting :popcorn:

The tax system of the USA is thievery plain and simple

good thread. Must say though most liberals aren't rich. People who spend money are only making someone else richer. A country that saves its money becomes stronger.If you don't spend money you usually can't be taxed on it. The EPA no longer mandates effective clean air legislation.It is an agency that as of about ten years ago told a friend of mine who is still senior hazardous site investigator and was instrumental in forming the EPA prior to the Nixon administration and invented superfunding, Was lead investigator in love canal and almost every enviromental disaster since, that as of the beginning of the new administration was only to look busy and to suspend all current investigations. The role of that agency is to create and enforce policy that favors politically green corporations for the purpose of huge financial profiteering on the backs of hardworking men and women and small businesses such as us. Global warming will not destroy the earth. It will destroy our ability to survive as we have recently. I don't think the end of the world is going to have anything to do with anyones calendar. I don't discount the astronomical significance of december 21st 2012 though. Definitely going to be cool to be lined up with the center of our galaxy. Might be a good day to have an M35 a 003 lots of ammo and a good assault rifle. A shipping container full of canned goods also maybe. If nothing happens so what I like all those things anyway. Plus we are all ready paying more taxes. What the heck ! The EPA isn't going to make the view any better .Find something that runs on Methane . Cheers Harry
There is a loophole in your statement "If you don't spend money you usually can't be taxed on it.". "Inflation rate" is the most powerful tax the fed wields. Every dollar anyone has is being taxed by the inflation rate every minute.
Example; if you save the $10.000 dollars you need to buy anything over ten years the item will cost you $20.000 when you have the money you thought would buy that item.

To put a bit of icing on that cake consider this... If inflation is reducing the "value" of your savings (not the number of dollars!) by 4% per year and the bank is giving you 4% interest (measured in dollars) you are breaking even, and the fed calls this increase in dollars "income" and taxes it as taxable income)
The present fed max tax rate is about 28%. The FICA is 15% That is a minimum rate of 43%. Add on the various other taxes the fed charges and you get approx 70% fed tax rate. Then you add the various local taxes and this gets really aggravating!

Vote all the incumbant bastards out next election. More than 90% of the electeds are complicit in this stealing process. Why are those electeds not in prison with Bernie Madoff?? Same crime should be the same penalty!

saddamsnightmare

May 20th, 2014.

Gents:

Considering that most modern diesel locomotives get about 450 miles equivalent movement of 1 ton of freight per gallon of diesel, and they do meet Tier II or III emissions standards, a few less trucks are not going to make any difference anyway. Most rubber tired trucks are grossly inefficient and should not be allowed more then 40 or 50 miles away from any rail terminal where the load can be transshipped by rail. If you really want to think about it, a GE 44 ton locomotive from the 1950's could move over 700 tons on level track, and that was a switcher with two engines totaling less HP then most OTR trucks today.... Sooner or later America is going to figure that little mistake out of listening to GM and the others in the 1950's on truck and bus substitution. An electric locomotive would do much better proportionately, which is why most mainlines in Europe are electric powered...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks