• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jack Tomlins/Boyce Equipment trip

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well MACCUS and I just got back from picking up his new M101A3 trailer in UT. We did a few side trips out and back. Boyce was first with an interesting stop. I only asked about M37 parts (they were down to 4 M37"s). Prices IMHO were very good. Got alot of bigger (but cheaper parts). I was quite happy. Went to Tomlin's Sunday AM. I have seen pics from 2003-2005 and was very shocked. They have sold or scrapped ALOT. The older stuff is sold. I can't inagine how much was scrapped; but then again when it has to go, what do you do with it? I did get my remaining missing M37 parts. Wasn't cheap/wasn't expensive, but was still a good deal. They still had some neat stuff: 4cyl mules, M416's, M275's, a seabee dozer, 89th CCKW, 2 pipeline deuces, machine shop trailers, dozens of RR cars full of NOS parts. The list could go on and on. If anyone is local, It's well worth the trip.

Sorry Clinto-the DUKWS are sold.............

Last edited:

Amer-team

If you haven't had the chance to visit Jack's place in Tooele UT, if you are interested in military stuff, you definitely have to go there. It has been about 8 years since I was there and it was amazing. Some of those railroad cars date to WW1 and they are military, so you could get one and cover your train collection as well.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you haven't had the chance to visit Jack's place in Tooele UT, if you are interested in military stuff, you definitely have to go there. It has been about 8 years since I was there and it was amazing. Some of those railroad cars date to WW1 and they are military, so you could get one and cover your train collection as well.
This is true. but; by the end of this coming summer-everything WILL be gone!:roll:

spicergear

My one buddy befriended Jack and got a thorough tour. It was an amazing amout of pieces from all over! What a great collection he had amassed.

1crook

I think that Clinto and I will just have to have to drool over the pictures Jim, you are too close to the left coast now for us to make a trip out there!!! I hear more and more talk each day about how we NEED a DUKW, but they all seem to be going away. I don't know if this is necessarily a bad thing. I think that we need a WC or a CCKW first, afterall they are a little easier to find.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the last ones. There's 2 yards. This is one yard. The other across the street has about 15-20 vehicles, about 12 rail cars full of parts, and assorted piles of bigger parts grouped on the ground awaiting sale/disposal. There's still some cool stuff. Check out the 2 pipeline trucks and the 5 flawless M416 trailers! :beer:

Attachments

Amer-team

I used to teach some classes in Salt Lake and would go spend evenings eating hotdogs or burgers, listening to stories, and touring the site. At the time I had a hankering for a 60mm mortar for display and he opened one door and there was a pretty good stack of base plates and he wasn't ready to part with any of them yet. Never did get one of those. But the halftrack that he was building the base in for the 75mm gun, I thought was pretty neat. Talk about a guy that had been there and done that. Some of the Aluetian salvage stories were impressive, when you realize that he was salvaging the stuff that is in the famous pictures of the Aleutians.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to teach some classes in Salt Lake and would go spend evenings eating hotdogs or burgers, listening to stories, and touring the site. At the time I had a hankering for a 60mm mortar for display and he opened one door and there was a pretty good stack of base plates and he wasn't ready to part with any of them yet. Never did get one of those. But the halftrack that he was building the base in for the 75mm gun, I thought was pretty neat. Talk about a guy that had been there and done that. Some of the Aluetian salvage stories were impressive, when you realize that he was salvaging the stuff that is in the famous pictures of the Aleutians.

The bad thing is that: I'm pretty sure the 75MM is sold and the 60MM's are prolly gone (and not a good gone)!:(

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I visited Jack's place in the spring of 2004. He gave my wife and I the grand tour. I have never seen so much military stuff in my life. He had just about everything ever used by the military it seems. When hndrsonj and were there on Sunday there was very little left. The plan as told to me by Jack's mechanic of 20 plus years is that they will be out of all the stuff by the fall of 2012. So if you want something you should do it now. There was the mechanic and about 3 other guys working in a large pole barn. They were working on 2 M43s and about 4 M151A1s. As Jim mentioned they are going to sell everything and they know the value of everything they are selling. So getting a deal from a little old lady will not happen. However you can get some real hard to find items from them at the going fair price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks