• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Driving Off Base-New Recovery Rules?

rmgill

Who'd driven off ith no insurance, tags, or inspection. Be honest... Lots of folks I bet.

Define "no insurance". Because if I go buy a car tomorrow and drive it off a lot, even if I have NOT bought insurance for that vehicle my current policy for my current vehicle will cover me on that vehicle for 30 days. Do I have insurance that covers liability in such a case? Yes. Does it specifically cover that vehicle by VIN? No. But one STILL has insurance.

Likewise state laws generally allow one to NOT register a vehicle for 30 days. Bill of sale of similar documentation is sufficient.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

RM: I am not sure that is true.
We bought a new car last summer and had to call Progressive and add it to our policy before we could leave the lot with it.

Also if your policy is good for up to 10000 lbs like most car policies, it will not cover a deuce or larger truck.

rmgill

RM: I am not sure that is true.
We bought a new car last summer and had to call Progressive and add it to our policy before we could leave the lot with it.
My Allstate policy covers it if I buy a new car or a used car, I do eventually have to add it but it's covered from the get go. Something I checked a long time ago. IT also covers rental cars and a borrowed car.

Other policies do not of course. It depends on the policy.

Also if your policy is good for up to 10000 lbs like most car policies, it will not cover a deuce or larger truck.
Again, it depends on your policy specifics. Some companies/businesses have policies that cover ANY vehicle they operate for their purposes. I suspect one could get such a rider added to a Gulfway/Travelors policy if one so desired.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My insurance company told me the same thing - they won't touch anything over 10,000 pounds. If I would have just assumed I had 30 days and then had an accident I would be in deep chit.

rmgill

My insurance company told me the same thing - they won't touch anything over 10,000 pounds. If I would have just assumed I had 30 days and then had an accident I would be in deep chit.

That's why you confirm with your agent/policy writer first. I've done so on every such contingency to know where I was covered and where I was not covered. That's not so hard.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Define "no insurance". Because if I go buy a car tomorrow and drive it off a lot, even if I have NOT bought insurance for that vehicle my current policy for my current vehicle will cover me on that vehicle for 30 days. Do I have insurance that covers liability in such a case? Yes. Does it specifically cover that vehicle by VIN? No. But one STILL has insurance.

Likewise state laws generally allow one to NOT register a vehicle for 30 days. Bill of sale of similar documentation is sufficient.
Here in Michigan you have 48 hours from time of purchess to drive a vehicle home on the directest route without proper plates , no other driving.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why you confirm with your agent/policy writer first. I've done so on every such contingency to know where I was covered and where I was not covered. That's not so hard.
I didn't say it was hard to do. Actually, I did it myself. Heck, it was so easy, a caveman coulda done it.

I've talked to a lot of people who think they are covered no matter what they drive - rental, new car off the lot, friends car, etc. Some, like you are. Many are not, but this misconception continues.

In the end, folks are gonna do what they wanna do. My whole point in this thread is driving on base is a privilege and people shouldn't get all knotted up if a local commander decides to strictly enforce the existing rules even if that results in no drive offs. Why should Joe Blow off the street get special treatment over the hard working service member stationed on that base?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I agree and think you are completely correct - for the part of the recovery that was OFF BASE.

If you stopped at the pass and decal (or whatever it is called depending on branch of service) and told them you would be operating your M1009 on base they would require you to show plenty of paperwork. Some of it would be impossible for you to provide because you don't have a title, registration, etc yet.

Again, I'm only discussing the portion of the recovery from the GL lot to the painted line outside the gate. After that as long as your truck is road worthy and insured you should be ok.
What I was trying to say in my post was, that because we don't need titles for older vehicles, I can have a vehicle completly registered and insured, with license plates before the vehicle is moved anywhere. Once I leave the base, I could turn around, pull up to the gate, and meet all the requirements to drive right back on base with the vehicle, because it is 100% legal, with the necessary paperwork to prove it.

I will agree that this is not the case for most recoveries for most people.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I was trying to say in my post was, that because we don't need titles for older vehicles, I can have a vehicle completly registered and insured, with license plates before the vehicle is moved anywhere. Once I leave the base, I could turn around, pull up to the gate, and meet all the requirements to drive right back on base with the vehicle, because it is 100% legal, with the necessary paperwork to prove it.

I will agree that this is not the case for most recoveries for most people.

You can get a GL truck registered with your state before pick up? That's handy. In CA it only took three trips to the DMV, one with the truck and I felt lucky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks