• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Driving Off Base-New Recovery Rules?

Blind Driver

Without registration, it's illegial to drive on any public road. Even if you pull it home, it still needs registration and insurance if any of the wheels are touching the road surface. This includes tow dollys as they are not considered a trailer.

I should buy a wrecker and just sit outside during pickup. At Camp shelby, you just have to have it towed acroess the street to the truckstop.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

Don't know about that. It will drive up the price or send more to scrappers IMO.
They are selling above scrap value now.

I don't think it will have any impact on prices. People will bid, go to drive them off of base and get told they can't... now they missed their pickup window and lost their truck... It gets re-listed and sold again.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I've recovered trucks and trailers, I've always gone to DMV ahead of time and pre-registered for a temporary tag and I've also gone ahead and received an insurance policy on trucks from State Farm. I wonder if GL is contacted ahead of time and proof of registration and insurance is provided if they would waive the restriction. I fully understand why they don't want unregistered and uninsured vehicles of any type driving on post.

Tht being said, taping a temporary tag to a vehicle with CARC is not easy!

NEIOWA

What a load of BS. Govliquidation has no more liability over what you do with your "new" truck before (or after) they hand you the paperwork/keys than Walmart has for your new golfclubs. Govliq doesn't even OWN the equpment. Owned by Sam.

They don't want to help guysload/PU M923 then put it in the auction terms and don't help. Sounds to me like govlib employees that 1.) Don't want to assist their customers. 2.) Low level drones who think they have a lot of power (retired supply sgts perhaps? or 3.) Dont have a pair.

greenjeepster

What a load of BS. Govliquidation has no more liability over what you do with your "new" truck before (or after) they hand you the paperwork/keys than Walmart has for your new golfclubs.
I think this is more about base security: Think of this Scenario for a moment.

Jared Loughner; an American citizen purchases a truck from GL... Gets through the EUC process and is scheduled to pick up said truck. He now has a vehicle that nobody would question and can pretty much drive anywhere he wants on a US Military base...... In a truck that could drive through or over any number of things.... oh and the guys at the gate just let him on without searching his car. and he has a Bushmaster folded up under the seat...

3dAngus

What a load of BS. Govliquidation has no more liability over what you do with your "new" truck before (or after) they hand you the paperwork/keys than Walmart has for your new golfclubs. Govliq doesn't even OWN the equpment. Owned by Sam.

I'm not sure that is totally true. As I understand it, GL prebuys these MVs which gives them the ability to generate SF97s. And they should make an effort to, as a minimum, make sure the vehicle has proper paperwork for insurance, as GL is required to adhere to all base regulations and not be a part of any illegal or unethical transaction. It is an understood part of all DOD contracts.

A new owner, Towing by a military towbar, by a registered and insured vehicle, should not be an issue. Towing via a homemade towbar or chain or rope or something stupid is another issue entirely.

Blind Driver

They don't want to help guysload/PU M923 then put it in the auction terms and don't help. Sounds to me like govlib employees that 1.) Don't want to assist their customers. 2.) Low level drones who think they have a lot of power (retired supply sgts perhaps? or 3.) Dont have a pair.

BS? I think not. Anytime I sold a vehicle to someone, I made sure to get it out of my name to advoid liability in the event of an accident. sure, you can have a Bill of Sale, but the injured party can still sue you especially if you still had the vehicle insured.

Our goverment doens't want to deal with the "what if" case.

Do you think a new or used car dealer will let you drive off their lot with no tags or insurance? This is the same thing.

It just makes good business sense to me.

NMCShooter

Warner-Robins AFB has gone a step further. You can't drive it, tow it or load it on your low boy. You have to have one of their "approved" riggers move it off base. There are currently two people that are approved. The cheapest one charges $500 from the lot to the gate....after that it's your problem.....at least that's what a buddy of mine went through 6 weeks ago.

Blind Driver

Warner-Robins AFB has gone a step further. You can't drive it, tow it or load it on your low boy. You have to have one of their "approved" riggers move it off base. There are currently two people that are approved. The cheapest one charges $500 from the lot to the gate....after that it's your problem.....at least that's what a buddy of mine went through 6 weeks ago.
$500 for 30 minutes? I'm buying a wrecker.

Last edited:

tsstout

In my group of friends (people I know) with deuces.. I'm the ONLY one to not drive without registration during pickup... I even argued with them about what the DMV told me and they went ahead and did it anyway... Thinking ignorance is an excuse.... I think it's ironic that those who break the law are the ones complaining about a rule that has ALWAYS existed.. But NOW going to be enforced....

Next issue: driving over tag weight.... In Kansas we have to have tags reflecting the weight of the truck WITH ALL towing and load weight considered... Yet those SAME guys are registered 12k... Even a 5 ton....

People like this are directly responsible for restricting our rights... Making law enforcement get involved because we can't act like adults....

Come on guys.... follow the rules.... I mean I realize you are special, but don't ruin it for the rest of us....

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

GL didn't make the rule that you can't drive off of base. They have no authority to do that. If they did it would be in effect at every base. The fact that it isn't in place at every base and that GL has no authority over who drives on base tells me it's a local thing at this point. Each base CO has a lot of authority over who drives on/off their base.

Personally I don't see the negative in it anyway. Most of the trucks sold are in poor repair/iffy condition after sitting for a long time. From reading recovery stories it seems that Git Er Done usually triumphs over proper temp registration and insurance. That's not happening in every case and there are a lot of successful recoveries where everything was done right, but often times that's not the case. People travel long distances without previewing themselves, bring a grip load of tools and fluids and go non stop until they get the truck home. Some guys drive a chase rig all day/night, get lil or no sleep and then drive their new toy home through all sorts of weather after a quick pit stop to WalMart.

If you can't afford to get it towed off base and make it 100% legal and safe for the road then you probably can't afford it in the long haul anyway.

At some bases it wouldn't be a big deal - like Barstow. Very close to the gate, straight road and nothing to hit (except for the gate itself). At Pendleton you have a long ride to the main gate or to any of the other gates (if you're authorized to use them) and there's plenty to hit on the way out.

This is not about government try to regulate us to death, this is about a few base commanders setting policy for their AOR, something they have the right to do.

Last edited:

paradeduty

The last 3 trucks that I brought home were all done so on low-boy tractor/trailer combos. Yes, it cost more than a few dollars, but, sure enough, each one of them had concerns that surfaced once it was home. As these trucks get "newer" there is a lot more on them that can "go wrong".

Bottom line - if it is a truck that you want pretty badly, then it is worth getting home in one piece. Additionally, we have to keep in mind the cost of the fuel and our time in the "recovery" process. Let alone temporary plates, temporary insurance, extra this and extra that to be prepared.

Have to be realistic about these trucks. The newest military truck I have is a 1994. Had that one shipped right to the closest (and best referred) truck shop. Luckily, everything important was in very good condition, but EVERY ONE of the hydraulic lines on the material handling crane was dry rotted and had to be replaced (a HUGE pile of lines and $4000.00 later). Now, nothing that would prevent the truck from being driveable, but consider the condition of these lines to be an indication of what CAN happen to much more important systems (think of flexible lines on air brake systems, etc.). And this truck is "only" 17 years old (a baby in surplus military vehicle terms). My F350 daily driver is only 6 years old and I am constantly doing maintenance on it (no Ford jokes here, please - it already hurts). Point is running down to pick up a 1968 Deuce (well over 40 years old!) takes a little more thought than your typical car lot sedan.

Honestly, I have had pretty good luck locating "local" wrecker companies with the suggestions of the GL site reps. One was able to tow a trailer to their yard and store it for a reasonable price while I located a reasonably priced trucking company. That cost was significantly less than the difference that I saved in trucking by doing so.

The wrecker company that was recomended by the Guys in South Carolina for the PLS were great. They were more than familiar with the GL site and the trucks. Had already gotten the other two RUNNING for their new owners (which they also accomplished for me - great comfort, let me tell you). And then when I mentioned that I was looking for a shipper, they offered to load it and truck it themselves for the lowest price I had gotten thus far - can't complain. The less cooks in the kitchen the better in my book.

Just some observations on my end.

Take Care, Dave.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are selling above scrap value now.

I don't think it will have any impact on prices. People will bid, go to drive them off of base and get told they can't... now they missed their pickup window and lost their truck... It gets re-listed and sold again.
Wrong choice of word in my post, I meant cost as you noted. If you don't notice when you bid, that's the fact, you're out of luck. Frankly if they were customer friendly they'd have a longer pickup window. 10 business days really gets my stress level going. Most of us work for a living and those 10 days are subject to when GL reps are going to be there too, they don't mention that, only the fallacy of pickup times and days. In Little Falls, that 10 days really means like TWO days in the ten day window where you can actually pick up.

spicergear

This was in everyone's best interest...like it or not...and especially in the interest of the hobby as one good car load of ANYTHING plowed through by someone in an unregistered truck would have some jackass lawmaker trying to further his career by shortening our hobby.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you think you should be able to drive off the base in an uninsured and unregistered vehicle, do you also think you should you be allowed to drive onto a base with one?

3dAngus

I can't get a MV registered in the State of Ga unless I have it in my possession where the serial number can be verified by a LEO.

I can get it insured with or without registration, and I have 30 days to drive it on the roads to get it registered, so long as it is insured. All I need carry is the paid in full invoice from GL, along with the insurance paperwork, of course.

I am of the impression the various bases will allow you to drive a vehicle without registration, as long as it is insured, and you have the right paperwork to verify proof of ownership so long as it is within the state's 30 day limit for submittal. I have seen several cars on base with temporary cardboard tags denoting the 30 day limit timeframe.

Flyingvan911

$500 for 30 minutes? I'm buying a wrecker.
Forget buying a wrecker, I'm buying a towbar and paying someone off. $500 for a few miles is crazy!

I did have insurance and the insurance card when I picked up my deuce from Fort Riley. We drove it off post and few miles over to the Geary Country office to get the temp tag. The trip back to Kansas City was 100% legit from there.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't get a MV registered in the State of Ga unless I have it in my possession where the serial number can be verified by a LEO.

I can get it insured with or without registration, and I have 30 days to drive it on the roads to get it registered, so long as it is insured. All I need carry is the paid in full invoice from GL, along with the insurance paperwork, of course.

I am of the impression the various bases will allow you to drive a vehicle without registration, as long as it is insured, and you have the right paperwork to verify proof of ownership so long as it is within the state's 30 day limit for submittal. I have seen several cars on base with temporary cardboard tags denoting the 30 day limit timeframe.
Cars get a temp pass for a variety of reasons, but no registration isn't one of them. When you buy a car from a dealer you get the temp registration and with that you can get a temp pass. When you buy private party you haul your butt down to the DMV and get your paperwork in order before you bring it to base. Here in SouthWest Region you can not get a pass/sticker etc without valid proof of insurance. The nice folks manning the pass/decal desk will tell you to get something from your insurance company via the internet or fax.

So for me (retired Navy) to drive on base I would need: proof of insurance, valid drivers license, registration (either actual or temp) and my retired ID. For a civilian it would be the same except for the military ID.

Why should someone not meeting that standard (or the standard set by the base CO) be allowed to drive on base? If I buy 160 tri walls of used tents I can expect to provide a truck/trucks to get them off of base. If I have to hire/rent one to do this, it's my problem. You KNOW the where the item is located before you bid, you shouldn't be surprised there are costs associated with removing the item from the base.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to drive on/off/around base without meeting the same standard as others using that base (active/retired/DOD/contractors/etc) do. On the bases that still allow drive offs they should have you wait in line at pass and decal (Navy term, may not apply to all bases) and get your temp permit to drive off. I'm sure that if the local commander thought about it for a minute that's what would be required.

tsstout

They towed mine, front end off the ground, for 20+ miles for 225... and he treated my truck like it was his....

The DMV would not issue a temp here without TITLE... SINCE I HAD NO TITLE... NO TEMP.....

They said they were sorry.... and GL was sorry too... but MOVE your truck....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks