• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Driving Off Base-New Recovery Rules?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just think that everyone driving on base, even if they are headed off with their "new" surplus MV should jump through the same hoops as the personnel working/stationed there do for this PRIVLEDGE.

Stand in line at pass/decal, show proof of insurance, registration and valid drivers license and get a pass. If you can't do that, tow it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm also in the machinery moving business and this GL deal is a common trend everywhere. A lot of it boils down to liability. A lot of private auction companies won't even let you on the sale lot to move something without a minimum of $1M of insurance (we carry $2M).

Take the truck driver Jeff was talking about. If that truck fell off the trailer and killed him, who would be liable? The trucking company, the driver personally, GL, and the federal government could be sued. Not to mention the media storm that would happen and OSHA would more than likely be all over it.

GL could even be held liable if something happened off base if they knowingly let a vehicle leave their lot without knowing if it was safe or not.

goldneagle

What is the big s h i t with registration. All it is is proof that you paid tax and that he truck is yours. It will not prevent you from an accident or damage the roads! If you have insurance and a Bill of Sale showing that you just picked up the vehicle I can't see where you should have any issues.

The important paper is INSURANCE! I always insure the vehicle before recovery! I carry all the documents from GL for the vehicle in case I am stopped. In LA there is no temp tag without a title. LA is very strict about titles.

I would not be driving the vehicle all over town waiting for the SF97 but bringing it home is not an issue. I even drove the truck to the LA State Police to have the VIN verified and they never asked for the registration, just insurance. Oh ye the LEO wanted to know if it was OK to take the truck out for a spin. He said it was not part of the inspection, he just wanted a joy ride.

cjcottrill

Not true. It depends on the state. You can drive anything home in Ohio after you purchase it with no plates or registration, just insurance which is covered under most policies. (I say most.)

You might want to verify that. You can tow a trailer with out tags if you have a weigh slip and are going to the scales. A motor vehicle requires a valid registration and tags if driven or towed with two wheels on the ground on the public road. You can get a 30 day temp. tag with a bill of sale for trailers or vehicles.

Jesse6325

Okay I see both sides and things are getting tighter and I bet I know why they have went to approved loadout personnel only. This happened to me yesterday was asked to help guide a trucker as he drove a 936 wrecker on to his truck said sure aua this idiot has driven the mv over to the dock and he should know how to drive he got a cdl, so I direct him up the dock and on his trailer and as his rear tires come on the trailer I tell him to stop by hand signal and verbally only to see a frightened look on his face as I get the heck out of the way he has no air pressure and no brakes:shock: he slammed into the step part of the trailer and bounced back and almost ran off the side of his trailer, only about 1 inch of his front tire was still on the truck! After I talk him back up on to the trailer I put a wheel chock in front of his tire and he got out and I asked about the brakes and he knew before he started up on the dock :shock: so at this point I just walk away because I wanted to beat him very badlyaua So if a professional driver acts like this can you imagine how stupid the general public at large will be if they are allowed to do whatever they can twist up as the way they want to go about driving on a trailer or straight off post? Yes you may know what you are doing but how's a gl representative going to make that call thirty times a day? Working as close as I have with the govliquidation and government personnel at camp shelby has made me see how and why the rules are in place. Any and all critical views are welcomed:beer:
I had to say something on this one here, I drove a tractor trailer for a little over 15 years with no accidents. One of the BIGGEST reasons I finally got off the road is that the other truck drivers were/are just flat scary,,,
40 tons is NOT a sports car,, And no, you DON'T! just turn the key and go!
Just my two cents worth, There are fewer and fewer operators anymore so I cannot blame anybody for wanting a 5+ton rolling sledge hammer off thier base before some potato brain hops behind the wheel and fires it up.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to verify that. You can tow a trailer with out tags if you have a weigh slip and are going to the scales. A motor vehicle requires a valid registration and tags if driven or towed with two wheels on the ground on the public road. You can get a 30 day temp. tag with a bill of sale for trailers or vehicles.

Yeah, I thought about it after I posted since I only have 45 years of doing it along with practically everyone I know including LEOs and my insurance agent. But I went to jail one time (just had to go with the officer while the car was towed) for driving without plates but it was after I had the car a few days, a big no no. My fault.

;-)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that were you got your tats? How long did they hold you?

Blind Driver

So, would it be safe to suggest we no longer can start them, while previewing?

And, Will they no longer state "truck starts", if they can't start them either?

Will everything be forklifted now? (causing possibly even more leaks/spills)?

Picture this scenario, Truck was driven in. You can not start it now.
All the trucks at Camp Shelbny state "Does not start or run", but some videos show the truck running with new parts under the hood.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that were you got your tats? How long did they hold you?

That wasn't why I had to go to jail. He just took me there to wait for a ride and I wasn't in a cell with Bubba.

Thanks guys. I was a sailor, not a ____ pirate.

I call for an infraction.

greenjeepster

Just an update on Warner Robins: I just received and email from them stating that they provide load out assistance free of charge, and we do not need a base approved rigger. If anybody has any problems and wants a copy to present to them... PM me.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the big s h i t with registration. All it is is proof that you paid tax and that he truck is yours. It will not prevent you from an accident or damage the roads! If you have insurance and a Bill of Sale showing that you just picked up the vehicle I can't see where you should have any issues.

The important paper is INSURANCE! I always insure the vehicle before recovery! I carry all the documents from GL for the vehicle in case I am stopped. In LA there is no temp tag without a title. LA is very strict about titles.

I would not be driving the vehicle all over town waiting for the SF97 but bringing it home is not an issue. I even drove the truck to the LA State Police to have the VIN verified and they never asked for the registration, just insurance. Oh ye the LEO wanted to know if it was OK to take the truck out for a spin. He said it was not part of the inspection, he just wanted a joy ride.
I don't know what the big S##T is. I just know that if I want to drive on base or if a contractor, an active duty member, a Gov employee, etc, etc wants to drive on base (or off or around) we have to stand in line provide documentation (including the big S##T registration) and get a pass or a sticker.

My base stickers all expire this month so I am headed to San Diego with stack of docs for all my vehicles this morning. I expect it to be a PITA since I'm retired and get to wait in the slow line. If I still lived on base and my sticker/pass on the car in my driveway expired while I was deployed and I got pulled over I would be ticketed for driving on base without a valid pass/sticker. Even though the trip started on base.

Doesn't seem fair that others expect (demand in some cases) to drive on a base without providing the same docs I or anyone else has to.

Next we'll get guys bolting wheels on tri walls of sleeping bags demanding to roll them off base.

Actually, it's not the truck recovery's that scare me, it's some of the M105 recovery stories I've read. I'm surprised this tow off policy hasn't started sooner.

Aswayze

Well, the good news here is the more draconian the base rules become, the fewer bidders there will be and the lower the cost so in the end, this is a win/win situation for those of us who have the means to play within the rules.

With regards to stupid or unsafe recoveries, whether it’s a truck with no brakes, an M105 trailer towed behind a 1982 Buick Skylark, or a triwall of boots bungee corded to the hood of an F-150 ALL of them need to be treated exactly the same way. Call the MPs and have them catch the person on the way out and issue them a ticket they will not soon forget and shut that crap down.

greenjeepster

I just got an official letter from GL: It states

"Starting Feb 1st 2012. Due to Costumer concern, We will now allow a 12 month window for loadouts. All sales are going to be conducted from one central location in Guam. Access for preview and loadout is by boat only, no civilian personnel will be allowed to enter through any of the gates. Paddles will be provided with purchases of triwalls and any other object that floats. (see new loadout assistance policy on our website) No other loadout assistance will be provided. We thank you for being a loyal customer and will now be sending you a Christmas card every year.
Sincerely GL staff :popcorn:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got an official letter from GL: It states

"Starting Feb 1st 2012. Due to Costumer concern, We will now allow a 12 month window for loadouts. All sales are going to be conducted from one central location in Guam. Access for preview and loadout is by boat only, no civilian personnel will be allowed to enter through any of the gates. Paddles will be provided with purchases of triwalls and any other object that floats. (see new loadout assistance policy on our website) No other loadout assistance will be provided. We thank you for being a loyal customer and will now be sending you a Christmas card every year.
Sincerely GL staff :popcorn:
Cool, the vehicles will be really cheap now!:beer:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I witnessed a GL purchase, base drive off today. No bus full of nuns were adversely effected. No death or dismemberment. Almost no drama at all, other than the new GL loader tore a hydraulic line off, when the wrecker hook caught on it.

All legit.

Last edited:

covert

I drove 3 deuces, 1 m1009, 1 ammo trailer, and 1 water buffalo off base with no registration. OH THE HORROR OF IT.

Chief_919

My base stickers all expire this month so I am headed to San Diego with stack of docs for all my vehicles this morning. I expect it to be a PITA since I'm retired and get to wait in the slow line. If I still lived on base and my sticker/pass on the car in my driveway expired while I was deployed and I got pulled over I would be ticketed for driving on base without a valid pass/sticker. Even though the trip started on base.
FYI, as of SEP 1 2011 no more base stickers. ID card check only for those with one, subject to random insurance/registration checks, those without produce DL, insurance and registration.

That said, the rules and law remain the same. To operate a vehicle on post, valid registration and insurance is required. Why some here feel they should be above the rules is beyond me.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get me wrong, I in no way think having registration, insurance, etc makes anything any safer. I just have a hard time understanding why some people feel they are entitled to do something that the men and woman who work on these bases CAN NOT do. Towing your purchase off bases doesn't make it safer at all. It keeps it from breaking down on base, but that's about it. Once the tow truck dumps them in the nearest Walmart they are gonna do what they wanna do. Everyone knows that. All I'm saying is just because you bought a surplus item from a third party contractor that is holding the item on a military base you shouldn't get all upity and knotted up if you are asked to tow it off or show the same documents as everyone else who uses that base.

The Git Er Done crowd is always gonna do what it takes to Git Er Done. No changing that.

:deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks